LIS Hard Stools

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Hard Stools

Postby msimon » 24 Sep 2014, 18:53

Hi Caroline. I just had to chime in when I read that your Doc used the same term as mine (also with a straight face) 'skid mark'. Like it was no big deal too! Yikes!

'It feels like my bottom is falling out. It feels like my bottom has been stuck on my body and isn't a part of me.'

Interesting, I have this after botox! Very good way to describe it. I wonder if it means that your muscles just need to adapt to the change down there. Why do you think he didn't cut enough? Does it feel spastic? Hopefully time will sort it out for you.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Carolineandy1 » 25 Sep 2014, 05:45

Update day 7 post LIS 2 BMs today, both pain free, loose even though I reduced Movicol to 1.5 sachets per day. However some twinges, soreness on left, not sure of the cause.

Even though like yesterday I have pain free BM I can still get a lot of pain in my cheeks. I can never pin point the actual site of the pain. It aches, as if I have been sitting all day (I usually have) the muscle aches. I am not sure if it's a physical pain or if it's psychological.

I am unsure if he cut enough. I expected to feel different, looser, I didn't care if I leaked or was incontinent, I just want to be rid of this for ever the same for us all. But I don't feel different. You know some people stretch their ear lobes out and have huge holes for earrings, I think, I wish my bottom was that size. Wouldn't pooing be so much easier!

Yes,I have a spastic bottom!
Fissure +9 Years
GTN mixed results
LIS 18.9.14
Carolineandy1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Rachael 1984 » 25 Sep 2014, 06:27

Hi Caroline,

My incision is on the left, I'm sure what you're feeling is the incision site..... Mine is soooo sore and after 2 BM I get more pain and soreness. It's early days yet. I take 2 Movicol, but when my stools feel like they are changing, I adjust it.

Have you had any leakage? I've had small amounts on letting out gas? Ugh. It made me laugh, your comparison to ear stretching...lol. I'd have the biggest one so it could just drop out easily....
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Carolineandy1 » 25 Sep 2014, 07:52

Hi Rachael

For the first 3 or so days I wore a sanitary pad because there was some staining. I don't have that any more nor do I have any leakage which makes me wonder if he was too conservative. I have gas and it feels easy to pass, like my bottom feels bigger if that makes sense. It is very early days, we must do our best and give it time. I expect you were relieved to be checked out by your GP. My bottom would be so big that I'd be able to pass an elephant poo, without even wincing LOL.
Fissure +9 Years
GTN mixed results
LIS 18.9.14
Carolineandy1
Salt Bather

Postby Carolineandy1 » 27 Sep 2014, 02:24

Update day 8 and 9 post LIS. Day 8 one BM pain free. Since Thursday lunch I have had pain in my stomach, stomach ache, feeling full and bloated with no appetite. I received my Fiber Menace book, had a flick through, frightened myself to death and promptly threw the bok into the cupboard. With being badly constipated a few weeks ago, I am concerned about the damage it may have done, ie impacted stools, or a blockage in the colon. You can convince yourself of anything.

Day 9 two pain free BMs. However the probable wound site feels extra sore this morning, I think the worse it has felt since surgery and on the first BM there was a small amount of blood on the paper. The second BM an hour later I could not detect any blood but still feeling extra sore. Not sure why this has happened at this stage. My stomach feels better this morning and I ate breakfast as opposed to skipping it. I feel like I am deteriorating, physically and mentally. I don't want to go back to work next week. My job is full on and it just adds to the pressure. I feel like this thing will kill me. Either by becoming so thin my heart stops or... I have tried super hard, my husband says too hard. I feel guilty and sorry for him. He's been terrific at looking after me but he must be fed up with my story now. The same with my family.
Fissure +9 Years
GTN mixed results
LIS 18.9.14
Carolineandy1
Salt Bather

Postby Rachael 1984 » 27 Sep 2014, 03:18

Hi Caroline,
I'm so sorry you are feeling down.... I'm sending you hugs.....

I have the same issue, the incision is really sore and it's worse when I have 2 BM'S. I expected it to be calming down now, but it's still early days, so maybe we both need to hang on a little longer. I know how you feel... I had to go to bed really early lastnight after just feeling totally exhausted by this.

Can you take more time off work? Explain to your doctor that you're not ready to go back. At the end of the day you are more important and I'm sure a few more weeks will help.... Xxxxx

:smilyhug: :smilyhug:
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Carolineandy1 » 27 Sep 2014, 06:11

Thank you Rachael. I expect I could get another sick note, I might need to as I am sitting all day. I worry about the amount of work I'll have to do and they won't pay me, as I've paid for the operation myself I need to keep earning. But you are right your health is far more important, if you don't have your health you don't have anything. I also feel bad about taking time off for a fissure, a minor common complaint, yet we know the huge impact it has on our lives.

Still feeling sore and have done all day. Bit of a concern and worry as I've been feeling good the past few days. I felt fine before my BM this morning, but then it was very tender mopping up with just a spot of blood on the tissue. I've been reading about all sorts on the forum and am very afraid. :(
Fissure +9 Years
GTN mixed results
LIS 18.9.14
Carolineandy1
Salt Bather

Postby woundedspirit » 27 Sep 2014, 21:36

Hope you are able to get more time off work. Don't ever think a fissure is a minor complaint. It is a horrific situation and until someone has one they can never know the pain and anxiety they can cause. I have had an LIS and when that incision site gets healed up you will feel so much better. Try not to be afraid. I am saying a prayer for both you and Rachael tonight. Wishing you both some fast healing!
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Carolineandy1 » 28 Sep 2014, 02:56

Thank you woundedspirit, you made me cry but out of kindness. It's a lesson, one that I am learning the hard way about walking in somebody's shoes to know what they are going through. We should never judge. That's another hard thing to deal with people just don't understand, even though you may explain how it happens which seems easy enough to me but then my lovely friend said try wearing cotton knickers! At that point I know little has been understood. I feel very afraid, very anxious and very depressed. Thank you for your support.
Fissure +9 Years
GTN mixed results
LIS 18.9.14
Carolineandy1
Salt Bather

Postby Carolineandy1 » 28 Sep 2014, 02:58

Update day 10 post LIS. 2 pain free BMs, no blood, however site is still very sore.
Fissure +9 Years
GTN mixed results
LIS 18.9.14
Carolineandy1
Salt Bather