Pain higher up in the rectum?

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Pain higher up in the rectum?

Postby volans » 04 Oct 2014, 19:49

I had an anoscopy done this week and the doctor said the fissure that was found in April had healed, and that I looked fine. Unfortunately I have not improved whatsoever which leads me to believe I may have a completely different problem altogether.

One thing I'm experiencing that doesn't seem common at all in AF sufferers is that I basically cannot pass gas at all. I can feel the gas moving along and it gets stuck somewhere near this highlighted circle. Also, at the time a stool passes through that area I get these intense pressure filled pain. It feels like that area is very tight and closed up, perhaps muscle tensions. Given this tightness it makes constipation hard to manage.

What on earth could this be?
volans
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Re: Pain higher up in the rectum?

Postby Savaici » 04 Oct 2014, 21:58

Sorry, had to remove the image, as it very specifically threatens a $250,000 fine for unauthorized use.

You seem to have what quite a lot of us suffer from, so don't feel alone. An anoscopy only visualizes the anus, rectum and the anal canal. It is usually done in a doctor's office without any sedative (been there, done that, experienced the pain). So it goes in just a few inches. To go further up, you need a sigmoidoscopy and if you are not doing so already, you need to see a colon and rectal surgeon. GI doctors know basically nothing about this and GPs are basically useless for this. In order to see beyond the 'bend' that was in the image, you need to have a sigmoidoscopy. I had to almost fight with my CRS to get this done as I did not want to have a colonoscopy.

Apart from this, it does sound like you have some stenosis issues, which I also have. I too have a problem with passing wind. I NEVER go without a laxative (I use Milk of Magnesia). I don't overdo the fibre either. I drink lots of water and I don't eat that much. I use olive oil in my food (a tablespoon a day). I have had this for over three years, so I have learnt what I can and cannot do. Also, I used anal dilation, and this helped until fibre actually took the place of the dilators. There is a link on here, a sticky, on self dilation. Have a read through that. There is a vast amount of knowledge on here. Best advice, keep at your doctor if you are not happy. It is not an easy road.

Use the search on here. Not the one on the right, but the one just off centre which goes to specific words. Look up stenosis and see what comes up. read read read!!!!! Can't write more right now :) but hope this is of some help to you.

Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby volans » 04 Oct 2014, 23:23

Thanks for the info. I looked up stenosis and it seems like most people with that problem have very thin bowel movements, but mine are still quite wide.

I'm seeing a gastroenterologist on Monday who won't be of any help but is there anything I can get her to prescribe that treats muscle spasms?
volans
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby Alyssa » 04 Oct 2014, 23:38

Volans,

I too have experienced having pain despite being declared healed; I was diagnosed with having pelvic floor dysfunction. I had Botox injected to the pelvic floor last month which helped decrease the burning pain but it did not eliminate it. Perhaps you may also have a muscle problem?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby pafen » 04 Oct 2014, 23:42

Sounds all too familiar. My pain is higher up apparently as well and I have the exact same symptoms.
Hemroidectomy, anal abscess, fissure, LIS
Pelvic floor Dysfunction since late 2012
pafen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8