Day 6 abscess/infection please advise

Oh dear god why me?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Day 6 abscess/infection please advise

Postby hopefulbutt » 13 Oct 2014, 15:46

Can anyone who has had an abscess please give advice? I had it drained last night in ER but I'm not sure they got it all. It was by lis site and it's very sore there. How can I protect this area when I have to poop?
How long for an infection to go away/or at least feel better? I am on two types of antibiotics. :(
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Re: Day 6 abscess/infection please advise

Postby owmybum » 13 Oct 2014, 16:21

I don't know about an abcess, but I just want to give you a hug!

Antibiotics take a couple of days to get into your system.
Maybe you could put a blob of some water based lubricant over the area before you poop to protect it, then shower off not wipe after.

:smilyhug: :smilyhug: :smilyhug:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby hopefulbutt » 13 Oct 2014, 16:31

Thanks OMB. I wish you were really here. This has been a nightmare and my boss is angry I need more time off from work. What type of lubricant? I have ad cream or Vaseline? I honestly wish sometimes that I could sleep and never wake up.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby woundedspirit » 13 Oct 2014, 21:58

:hugs: Hi hopefulbutt. I have not had one but I know an abcess of any kind is very painful and I can just imagine how much more in the rectal area. Rest as much as you can. Your body is in a battle. I know it is easy for me to say but try not to stress over work. In a year from now it won't mean a thing. In all my years of working I used to fret if I had to take time off. But now I see in the grand scheme of things what matters is what you are going through now and what you have to do to get through it. Did they give you any topical antibiotic cream at the ER? What did they say about soaking. I am thinking they would want you to do that often? I use lidocaine cream often and it really helps with the pain. I also take pain meds when I need to. I used A&D ointment in the beginning and it was not good. It made the wounds very "angry". Maybe you could use a sterile jelly lubricant. Maybe could call the doctor or ask the pharmacist. Vaseline did okay for me but I think there are better things. Wishing you a better day tomorrow and sending a big hug. The antibiotics should start working soon.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby hopefulbutt » 13 Oct 2014, 22:17

Thanks wonder spirit. They didn't give me anything at ER. Just said to take at least 4-5 baths a day for now. I was wondering if I should be putting anything down there? I am concerned for when I bm to protect it. I may have some lidocaine left. I will look tomorrow. Thanks for your comforting words. I feel so rung out. I will try not stress about work, you are right.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 14 Oct 2014, 08:44

No... Don't stress about work! You are suffering and in pain, you can't go back just yet, you have to put yourself first so you have the best chance of getting better for the long run.

Vaseline is ok, but doesn't rinse off easily without rubbing. A water based gel, like one used for lubrication during sex would be ok.

Hope things start to settle soon

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby hopefulbutt » 14 Oct 2014, 19:03

Well I went in to see my crs today and they immediately took me back to surgery to clean out the infection. She didn't see a fistula but I'm desk they not out of the woods yet. In a LOT of pain now and taking both Vicodin and oxy. Feel so down and wondering what I did to deserve this? They went deeper into the abscess and flushed it out. Crs said she's sorry to say that having a bm will be incredibly painful for a few weeks. How am I gonna make it through this?
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby woundedspirit » 14 Oct 2014, 21:56

Oh hopefulbutt so sorry to hear. What a hard day you have had but it is good it is cleaned out now and you can start healing. Good she is being honest with you too. Shows some compassion. It is hard sometimes, but remember none of us have done anything to deserve this. I have felt that way too. You will have to gather all your strength and courage but you will get through this. These are the best things I can think of right now to help.
Increase Mirilax or whatever stool softner/lax you take while on the extra pain meds to avoid constipation.
Take a pain pill upon awaking at your bedside and let that start working.
Apply lidocaine (I use 5%) and lay back down for about a half hour to let those two things start working.
Have your bath or sitz bath ready before your BM so when you are done you can get right in.
And above all as we all know - keep those stools soft at all cost.
These are some things that help me when I know there are going to be really painful BMs. I hope it is of some help to you. We are all here to help, support and encourage as best we can. Keep us posted. My heart really goes out to you.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failed LIS
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby hopefulbutt » 14 Oct 2014, 22:12

Thank you wounded spirit. If I had known my lis would have lead to this I would have just lived with the fissure pain. Crs said the pain would be as bad as a hemorrhoidectkmy because the abcess was deep. I honesty am afraid I may take all my pills at once. I trying to just get through the next few hours, then the next few. Do you have any suggestions to help me clean the area? Should I be trying to get every spec of poo off? Or would that cause too much pain? Do I just shower head it off best I can?
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby woundedspirit » 14 Oct 2014, 22:56

I know well your pain hopeful as I have had 2 hemorrhoidectomies. I know how it is sometimes just one hour at a time. I would use the shower head to remove as much as possible. Some people say not to use any type of soap but I have always used just a small amount of a very very mild soap and showered it off thoroughly right away. Then soak in very warm water after for 3 reasons. First I think it cleans the best and soaks away all little bits and provides the best cleaning. Just pushing gentle waves around the area is very effective. Secondly, this is all very soothing. And third, the heat increases blood flow to the area localizing any infection and promoting healing. Air or pat dry very gently. Did your doctor recommend any antibiotic ointment? I am thinking with an abscess they would. I would call and ask. Stay strong hopeful.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failed LIS
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist