Been prescribed steroid cream. What is this going to do ?

steroid for fissures dry skin

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Been prescribed steroid cream. What is this going to do ?

Postby jay2502 » 13 Oct 2014, 07:48

I feel like I am on a merry go round here.
Probably what is now my 7th appointment at the hospital with the 5th doctor .
He examined me, stuck a camera up there. and said as he put the camera up there the skin split and started to bleed slightly. He can see that this is where the fissures are occurring apparently through very dry skin.

He has sent me off and prescribed me steroid cream for 2 weeks.
This will not help. I know it won't help. I have had this problem for years now. What is 2 weeks of steroids going to do ??
I am at my wits end here.

Botox is not performed at the hospital I am at, and he said its worth going to the GP to see if they can find a hospital.

I just don't know where to go from here. and if dry skin is a big problem. Will aloe Vera help ?
jay2502
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Been prescribed steroid cream. What is this going to do

Postby Deleted User 3869 » 14 Oct 2014, 21:35

The steroid should reduce the inflammation.
Aloe Vera is very soothing --see if you can combine the two. I also found coconut oil very soothing as well!
Deleted User 3869

Postby jay2502 » 15 Oct 2014, 10:42

Daisy wrote:The steroid should reduce the inflammation.
Aloe Vera is very soothing --see if you can combine the two. I also found coconut oil very soothing as well!

hey, i used coconut oil for ages, it certainly helped to feel more comfortable, but did nothing for reducing inflammation or to help healing - would Aloe Vera be a better bet ?

/
jay2502
Salt Bather

Postby DizMktg » 15 Oct 2014, 22:53

I just went on Diltiazem two days ago after a month of agony - don't know yet if or when I can say it's fully healed, but I can tell you my pain dropped 75% the first day on it.
DizMktg
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby jay2502 » 16 Oct 2014, 09:47

DizMktg wrote:I just went on Diltiazem two days ago after a month of agony - don't know yet if or when I can say it's fully healed, but I can tell you my pain dropped 75% the first day on it.

my pain also dropped when using Diltiazem, even though i was'nt healing! i actually got prescribed is several times as it was helping with pain, up until about a month ago i seemed to build up some sort of resistance to it, and when i used it it gave me chronic itching, so had to throw it away.
jay2502
Salt Bather

Postby DizMktg » 16 Oct 2014, 10:28

Interesting - hope I don't hit that point as I've only been on it 3 days...but my compound gel also includes benethachol and lidocaine so it could also be one of them or the combo that's helping. As far as healing, I still had bad bleeding after a BM yesterday, but when I went this morning, there was little to none. So I'm taking the pain improvements (massive difference) and non-bleeding as a positive sign the healing process is well underway.

Seems there isn't concensus on any treatments on here as each person and each situation is unique, but look forward to hearing if the steroid cream helps you!
DizMktg
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 16 Oct 2014, 10:44

Hi Diz, itching and rash seems quite common with diltiazem, but
1) If that happens, there is a good chance that nifedipine or nitroglycerine will also help you a lot. They both work the same way as dilt. They relax the internal anal sphincter and your anal blood vessels. Relaxing the sphincter helps with pain and relaxing the blood vessels allows increased healing blood to the area.
2) I think you are right that the lidocaine or something in your cream that's contributing to pain relief. And they can compound lidocaine into nifedipine, and probably also into nitroglycerine, or you can use it separately.

In other words, if you get the itch, don't worry, you have options.

Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby DizMktg » 16 Oct 2014, 16:24

@Scientist, thanks for the info it is good to know there are alternatives, though my Dr. sort of implied that if I'm not showing improvement over 4 weeks with the gel treatment, it's probably the lateral surgery. He didn't mention Nitro if this causes issues though I've read about it in many places, nor did he mention Botox as an option.
DizMktg
Fibre Addict