New here

My issues

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

New here

Postby ouch4466 » 17 Oct 2014, 04:25

Hello fellow AF sufferers, I'm new. I'm a 27 year old mom of two. I am not new to AF. I started having pain and bleeding during pregnancy with my second who is now two. I was scared to get anything done so I let it go until he was about 5 months. It got pretty bad and I got in to see a surgeon. I did two rounds of diltiazem ointment. The first time I felt completely healed, but the AF came back after I stopped the cream. Same the second time. I tried other things like a suppository and another cream but they were no help. I switched to a different surgeon that is with a hospital that I preferred. I got scheduled for LIS, fissurectomy and IRC of hems back in April of this year. I had the surgery and seemed to be healing great. I thought my problem was over but around 6 weeks post op I had pain and bleeding. I went to the dr and was told I had another AF, a
Smaller one. I did two more rounds of diltiazem which helped a little temporarily. At this point, the surgeon wants to go back and do this again. He said he was conservative with cutting the first time. I am scheduled next Thursday for abother LIS and fissurectomy. I am hesitant but want this taken care of. I'm afraid of incontinence. Has anyone else had to have a second LIS? Should e be doin the fissurectomy as well? I trust him but just FYI he isn't a crs. He's a surgeon who specializes in bariatric surgery and any part of the digestive system including rectal. He said he has not had to do a second one before, but I also seem to have a very tight sphincter that spasms. Even if a BM isn't too painful, sometimes I have pain that starts later on and aches for hours. Any input or advice is welcome. Thanks for listening.
ouch4466
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: New here

Postby Deleted User 3869 » 17 Oct 2014, 05:04

I know it's close, but it sounds like you're having second thoughts? Did you want to go get a second opinion before you go in for your LIS and fissurectomy?
Deleted User 3869

Postby ouch4466 » 17 Oct 2014, 05:11

I don't kbow. I'm just unsure. I haven't heard of anyone else having a failed LIS. I don really kbow where to get a second opinion anyway. The other surgeons office here is the one I had seen and didn't like as well as this guy.
ouch4466
Salt Bather

Postby Alyssa » 17 Oct 2014, 14:21

If you are unsure about the procedure why don't you wait (I know you just want to get it over with) and get a second opinion before doing so? Can you request a pressure test before the procedure? Where are you located?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby ouch4466 » 17 Oct 2014, 14:48

I don't know if they can do a pressure test. Is that a standard thing for AF? I'm located close to spokane Washington. But it would be very hard for me to re schedule, I had to do a lot of coordinating to have my husband off work to take me, mother in law is available that day to watch kids etc. I usually don't have a way to receive help since everyone has obligations.
ouch4466
Salt Bather

Postby Alyssa » 17 Oct 2014, 15:03

Some doctors do use it and others don't but its the best way to determine how tight a person is and it might be a great tool for your doctor to use...

Some people on here stated that when they went to get an exam the doctor told them the had a normal sphincter but then the test determined that they had high resting pressure.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby sotiredofthis » 20 Oct 2014, 13:53

Ouch,

You and I have some similarities. I also had LIS in April and still having problems. I also lived in Spokane for 6 years. Loved it there!!! If you're unsure, I would wait. I think a CRS would be better than any other doctor. Can you see a CRS there for another opinion? I wouldn't rush into another LIS so soon.

I'm also seeing my CRS this week to discuss another surgery for some scar tissue that's causing me problems. I've had what feels like a re-tear of my original fissure 4 times since surgery. I don't know what she'll say about that. I know I personally wouldn't have another LIS without a pressure but I also have IBS so incontinence could be an issue for me.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby ouch4466 » 20 Oct 2014, 17:00

I wish I could go to spokane but my insurance won't cover someone there and I would have to wait a long time to get in with a crs. I also think I may have IBS but not sure. I seem to have problems with mostly certain foods that I avoid. I really want to have this second LIS Thursday. I am positive that I have too much tightness and that it will help. But I know a second opinion is good. I just don't have anyone else here to see for a second. I have seen the the othersurgeons here. And I like the place I am currently at. I am going to ask him if he can cut more than last time while not being too liberal with it. If that makes sense? My understanding is they can always go back and do a little
More but can't fix it easily if too much muscle is cut. Thanks for your reply!!
ouch4466
Salt Bather

Postby sotiredofthis » 20 Oct 2014, 17:16

IBS definitely complicates things. You're right, they can always cut a little more if you're still too tight. I wish you the very best of luck and will be praying for you! Let us know how it goes!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby ouch4466 » 21 Oct 2014, 00:58

Thanks so much! Good to know I have people who understand. I can't really talk to many people about this and they don't always understand the trouble this causes. I will update in how it goes.
ouch4466
Salt Bather