Stenosis and Spasm

Relationship between stenosis and spasm/pain

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Stenosis and Spasm

Postby queenofpain » 27 Oct 2014, 15:47

Hi All,

This topic is for anyone who successfully reversed a diagnosis of stenosis by naturally (taking themselves off Milk of Magnesia, Miralax, or other stool softeners) stretching the sphincter. My previous CRS, who has decades of experience, is of the opinion that my chronic pain is a result of the sphincter not stretching enough. He wanted me to get off M.O.M., but didn't mind Miralax. At any rate, I successfully weaned myself from M.O.M. over the last few weeks, but still am on Miralax (for now). I still have pain, but am trying to be patient. It seems to me there is something causing pain at the right side (I had LIS 3 years ago), but no one has been able to identify anything nefarious. My current CRS says there is mild stenosis, but he doesn't understand the pain. He stretched the sphincter a few weeks ago while I was under anesthesia for a colonoscopy. My question is:

1) Has anyone had success in naturally stretching their sphincter with the result being deliverance from spasm/pain? My previous CRS said not to worry about spasm, but to get the sphincter to stretch. The current
CRS doesn't think there is spasm, though. I'm confused, as spasm can be difficult to identify.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Stenosis and Spasm

Postby Savaici » 27 Oct 2014, 19:41

Hi QOP,

I reduced the spasms slowly to nothing by very gradual dilation. I managed to increase my fibre gradually too (just to the right amount for my weight and sex) and this has helped my stenosis too. I take MOM.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby pafen » 27 Oct 2014, 20:03

My pain is left sided and since I have started the dilation it has stretched my sphincter a little bit. I can now feel tenderness when pressing on the muscle from the outside of the external sphincter. This is on the same side where I have my chronic pain.

Is it expected the dilation to cause a bit more pain when things are stretched? I have quite a bit of scarring from previous surgeries so I think everything is very tight.
Hemroidectomy, anal abscess, fissure, LIS
Pelvic floor Dysfunction since late 2012
pafen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Savaici » 28 Oct 2014, 14:34

It is quite common that the dilation can hurt a little bit at first. Thst is because the internal sphincter has taught itself (being nothing we can influence, being an involuntary muscle) to tighten from spasm. Dilation stops that gradually. I used Pedestric Dilators and organic lubricants.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby queenofpain » 29 Oct 2014, 15:30

Savaici wrote:Hi QOP,

I reduced the spasms slowly to nothing by very gradual dilation. I managed to increase my fibre gradually too (just to the right amount for my weight and sex) and this has helped my stenosis too. I take MOM.

Thank you for your response, Savaici. Well, your note at least encourages me that I'm doing the right thing. My sphincter is so tenacious. It just won't give up the ghost, even after LIS and stretching. But, I'm determined to stay off M.O.M. and hopefully eventually wean from Miralax. Those products are costly, anyway.

Again, thanks.

QOP
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby queenofpain » 03 Nov 2014, 15:59

Savaici wrote:Hi QOP,

Hi Savaici,

I have a couple of questions:

1) In your opinion, do you think it's necessary to use dilators to stretch the rectum/anus, or do you think you can you achieve the same effect through normal stool size? In my case, this could mean weaning from Miralax (I just weaned off M.O.M., and Miralax is currently producing a stool circumference of about a nickel or a little less.) I might have unwittingly contributed to stenosis by using Miralax and M.O.M. daily for a number of years, at least since my LIS in October 2011. The CRS who performed the surgery thought I could open the sphincter by getting off M.O.M., and offered to teach me how to stretch the area with a candle. The latter seemed like more of an afterthought, and it appeared that he thought I could do it by having well-formed stools. Stretching frightens me as I'm not able to get my index finger in the opening, and even my CRS had trouble. I was in pain for a few days after he attempted. I'd much rather stretch the muscle from the inside out, as it was designed to stretch, and would rather work on stool circumference. Do you think increasing stool circumference alone would stretch the anus, given that I'm diagnosed with mild stenosis?

2) Do you have any opinion as to what the optimal stool circumference is?

3) If I were to attempt to use my finger to stretch the anus, what type of lubricant is safe? Is Vaseline safe for internal use?

Your replies have always been informative. Thank you for all your help.

QOP
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 03 Nov 2014, 20:34

In answer to your first question. I found it very difficult in the beginning to "get my head" around dilating. I did not think anything could get past my small tight sphincter, etc. However, I started with 9mm and went up to 15mm before I stopped. The reason I stopped was that I felt that pressure was somewhat relieved and what I was eating was making my stool less narrow. (I dilated for at least six months, starting very slowly, leaving it in only as long as I wanted - sometimes 30 seconds; sometimes 15 minutes). So, yes, I think it is necessary to dilate first which will help to make the stool diameter improve in the end, and decrease pain.

Second question. I have stopped obsessing about the size of my stool (because that is what I was doing) and I just poop! Sometimes it's flat, sometimes formed, and so on. DON'T worry so much about size! 

Third question. I would never use Vaseline (petroleum jelly) inside. I only used Sliquid and Soothe specifically for anal lubrication - both have organic ingredients.. Go to this link for how to get the lubricants. I researched very thoroughly before starting. 

search.php?keywords=Sliquid

Suzyljank, one of our moderators, had a double flap, with skin graft. She dilated afterwards, so you will be amazed what can be done. Read this link:

dilation-after-surgery-t6976.html

Feel free to ask me any other questions. 

Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Postby queenofpain » 05 Nov 2014, 22:03

Thanks so much, Sav. Today my stool was about the size of a quarter, which is encouraging. Not sure if this is entirely accurate, but it seems the larger the stool, the less pain I'm in afterward.

I'll look at the links you posted. Thanks much again.

I didn't think my screen name would prove so prophetic :).

QOP
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist