New and worried

New and worried

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New and worried

Postby MoniQ123 » 22 Nov 2014, 03:27

After 5 weeks of intense pain I was diagnosed with an anal fissure earlier this week. I was prescribed rectogesic, scheriproct and imovil. I also received a list of surgeons, but no one seems to have time to see me in the next three months. I did not manage to insert the rectogesic, it was just too painful, and that's how I ended up on this forum. I've since read many of your tips and started a diet and managed to insert the ointment with a cotton tip and cling wrap.

I am still hoping that my fissure will heal soon, especially because I think I might be pregnant. It is starting to really interfere with my life. I keep on cancelling fun appointments with my friends, because I am in too much pain. And I'm missing meetings and deadlines at work. I can't sleep very well and cannot do the sports I enjoy like cycling. Also it is occupying about 80% of my thoughts; it's all I want to talk about. So I'm glad this forum exists.

Remaining questions:
1. Coffee? It works as a laxative for me. If I'm pregnant I have to stop anyway, but I would like to continue to use it. Is it a definite nono?
2. Any tips for the keen cyclist?
3. Which medications should be stopped with if pregnant?
MoniQ123

Topics: 1

Re: New and worried

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 Nov 2014, 10:35

Hi MoniQ,
I am so sorry you are in pain, especially if you think you might be pregnant. I totally understand that it's filling your thoughts. I know I had a lot of obsessive thoughts, and used to spend a LOT of time on the forum trying to understand what was happening to me.
So anyway - coffee - yes, it can stimulate the digestive tract, which is good, but it also dehydrates you so you need to drink extra water to keep your stools soft.
I can't help you with cycling! I have not tried it since getting my fissure. A nice wide flat saddle might help????
You can google your medications and look for pregnancy side effects. Hopefully also your doctor will help you. If you are pregnant, you'll need to get a prenatal checkup immediately, and you can go through your meds with the doc then.
You don't need to put rectogesic up inside. It's very well absorbed by the skin of the anus, and works perfectly well if just rubbed on the outside.
Let us know how you get on! And - (if you are pregnant) - congratulations!!!!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16