Five years of fissures

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Five years of fissures

Postby Dung_beetle » 15 Nov 2014, 22:15

Hi,

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Anal Fissure about 5 years ago. Over the years we have come to know each other well. Since then he comes and goes whenever he pleases. Sometimes he can be very nasty. When he is I suffer tremendously on and off the toilet. My behind hurts, bleeds, itches, goes into spasm, and secretes an awful mucus and liquid. Why does he have to be so mean?

Most of my fissures are superficial. Last summer I had two that put me through hell even though they weren't deep. The very first one I had was deep and excruciatingly painful. I'm not sure what triggered it. I cried whenever I had a bowel movement and it took months to recover from it. Two years after that I had another deep one in the same spot that eventually healed. I now have chronic pain in my bunghole and rectum. I'm certain all these fissures have put the muscles in my behind in perpetual spasm. I think I have Levator Syndrome.

I've tried everything to get rid of Mr. Anal Fissure for good. My GP has prescribed creams and suppositories that help but they don't cure the problem. The steroid prescriptions have given me the best results so far. I've adjusted my diet and fiber intake which has helped. It is hard to get the right consistency and girth. Too much fiber makes my bowel movements very bulky which usually causes more fissures. Some foods like nuts aggravate the problem so I avoid them. I've also tried baths and cleaning myself with baby wipes after each bowel movement.

My bunghole problems are getting worse. When it really hurts it causes stomach upset and some feelings of 'rawness' that I feel below my belly button and in the lower left quadrant. Can anal fissures cause stomach pain like this? I know they can cause awful tenesmus that can radiate and even cause back pain.

Thanks,

Dung beetle
Dung_beetle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Five years of fissures

Postby Dung_beetle » 18 Nov 2014, 20:00

Other people's posts got replies except mine. I guess nobody can relate.

Admin can you please delete my account. Thanks.
Dung_beetle
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 18 Nov 2014, 21:09

Uh, Dungbeetle, no need to be hasty. It's been only two days since you posted, and unfortunately, posts can get buried pretty quickly, so it's not surprising yours got lost. I'm glad you posted again so people can see it.
I'm very sorry you are having such pain and misery. Truthfully, almost everybody here can relate. Five years is a long time, though - that's awful.
I don't know why you are having extra stomach pains with the fissure pains. One thing is that people can get referred pain in other parts of the body. In my case, my thighs and urethra. A pain higher up is odd.
Also, I wonder if you should be tested for IBS or Crohns? Multiple fissures and abdominal pain could indicate digestive tract problems? I don't know - I'm not a doctor. But worth thinking about?
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Dung_beetle » 22 Nov 2014, 03:50

When I replied to my thread I was feeling embarrassed about my original post, because I have never ever posted about my bum on the internet before. The lack of responses made that feeling worse.

My doctor sent me to a GI who suspects I have Crohn's but I highly doubt it. I don't have diarrhea, fevers and fatigue. All I get is intermittent belly discomfort that is likely referred pain. The discomfort seems worse whenever I have a fissure. IBS could be a possibility but I won't know until I have a colonoscopy.

I've had anal sphincter spasms so bad that I have felt pain in my inner thighs. Sometimes the area around my tailbone gets really sore too.

I get fissures for no reason. They just appear like one did 2 days ago.

Thanks for the reply.
Dung_beetle
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 Nov 2014, 10:28

Hi Dung Beetle,
I do wonder if you have GI problems. Fissures for no reason are an indicator of that. Even if you are sceptical it's probably worth going through with the tests. It's worth it, even if it just rules out GI problems.
Some people keep diaries to record what they eat, and the results. Could be a good idea for you.

There is no need to feel embarrassed about anything you write here. We all know what it's like, we all have our embarrassing stories to tell. This is a safe place. I'm glad you came back and are posting!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16