LIS Surgery Scheduled

LIS Surgery Scheduled

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Surgery Scheduled

Postby annbow » 11 Dec 2014, 11:00

I have my LIS surgery scheduled for next week. As the days draw near, I keep thinking about it, and I think that my fissure, though I have had it for 3 years now, on and off, is probably not that painful, and I can probably still live with it. Although it does affect my daily life and I have not traveled since this fissure thing started.

I'm scared that post-surgery pain would be even more painful than what I am having now? Is the post-surgery pain very bad? Worse than fissure pain? Should I still go for the surgery? Any thoughts are appreciated.
annbow
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: LIS Surgery Scheduled

Postby zippitydoodah » 11 Dec 2014, 16:18

Hi annbow! I don't have any helpful advice to offer, except to say that I too have scheduled LIS surgery today. Mine is not until late January due to holiday travels. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone and I hope you feel better ASAP! Let us know what you decide.
-Fissure since August 2014 after diarrhea and antibiotics
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
-LIS & skin tag removal scheduled for late January 2015
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Jbl22424 » 13 Dec 2014, 00:21

My post surgery pain was not as bad as the fissure pain. Also I took a Vicodin and a Valium and a bath to get through the few hours of pain post Bm after surgery and it made it easier. LIS really was a breeze for me, much easier than living with the fissure.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby chachacha » 13 Dec 2014, 20:40

Good luck Ann. I hope that all goes well and that you heal quickly. I will bookmark this page and hope that you get back for an update when you can. I am going having mine done in late January and will post my results too, for all who come behind (ptp) us.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Re: LIS Surgery Scheduled (Post-LIS Update)

Postby annbow » 30 Dec 2014, 06:27

So I eventually went ahead with the LIS surgery. Sorry for the delay in posting an update, as I have gone through ups and downs in the past 2 weeks of recovery. Just to share my own experience, the first week of bowel movements were very painful. Especially the first day of bowel movement...it was extremely painful. Like passing razor sharp blades. It was worse than fissure pain, though it felt like a different kind of pain. And I had difficulty sitting down.

As time passed, things got better. After the first week, bowel movements became more of discomfort rather than pain. So I am hoping things will get better over time.

All the best, zippity and chachacha, for your LIS in January. Hope you have a good post-LIS recovery.

I have been on Miralax, and while bowel movements were soft initially, it got harder recently and causes discomfort. Now that I have gone through LIS, for those of you who have also gone through LIS, should I continue Miralax (I'm 2 weeks post-op)? How long is it usually safe to stop Miralax and go natural?
annbow
Fibre Addict

Postby scared ann » 30 Dec 2014, 07:12

Hi Ann ! It's safe to drink Miralax because it's not a forming habits.my CRS to,d me that I can take Miralax the rest of my life.im 1 year post op lis and still drinking it with colace.congrats on your surgery and hope you continue getting better everyday... :smilyhug:
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby annbow » 30 Dec 2014, 10:54

Thanks scared ann for your reply and well wishes!

I think I feel that there's a bump inside my anus. When I press it lightly, it is not painful nor itchy. There is no discharge. I'm not sure if it was there already before my LIS surgery cos I may not have been so thorough in cleaning myself before LIS. I'm a bit worried could it be an infection/abscess? If abscess I suppose it should be painful to touch and have discharge right? If no discharge, then I suppose it can't be an infection?
annbow
Fibre Addict

Postby zippitydoodah » 30 Dec 2014, 16:46

Hi annbow! Thanks very much for your update. Did you have just the LIS or other procedures along with it (e.g., skin tag removal)?

Sorry it's not been as smooth sailing as we would have hoped. Wishing you fast recovery in the new year!
-Fissure since August 2014 after diarrhea and antibiotics
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
-LIS & skin tag removal scheduled for late January 2015
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby annbow » 30 Dec 2014, 23:54

Thanks zippity for your well wishes!

I had LIS and skin tag removal.
annbow
Fibre Addict

Postby Jbl22424 » 31 Dec 2014, 00:43

Everyone is a bit different but if I were you I would stay on miralax for months after surgery. It's perfectly fine and why risk it? I re-tore three months after surgery when I reduced my miralax, what a huge mistake I made.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9