Stabbing pain one week post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Stabbing pain one week post LIS

Postby soey » 16 Jan 2015, 12:04

So I had the LIS 7 days ago, the recovery has been ok. The incision site seems to have closed up, less pain/burning during the day and after bm's. Swelling is down, it's mostly itching at times. Today I had a stabbing pain, coming from the incision site(feels internal). The stabbing pain lasts less than a second, but happens maybe 5-10 times/hour. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a part of healing or has the surgeon fucked up some nerves or something? Doesnt feel like an infection, no redness, not swollen or anything. Just the sharp pain from time to time.
I might be overthinking things, but I'm so scared of things not working out after a year of hell..
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 18

Re: Stabbing pain one week post LIS

Postby soey » 16 Jan 2015, 12:22

Oh i forgot the second question! There is something white in my anus.. Could it be scar tissue?
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Roidsfizzman » 16 Jan 2015, 13:35

Hi Soey,

I had that stabbing pain (I called them stingers) that would last for a few seconds. I had one that lasted for about 15 seconds and I thought if this continues, I am in big trouble. It is part of the healing process as time goes on the nerve stingers will be less intense and not as often. I was still getting the stingers up to about 4 weeks after LIS.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby soey » 16 Jan 2015, 13:46

Thank You so much for your response! Stingers might be a better name for it. I was freaking out alittle, because the pain is intense, and I honestly dont think I'll be able to deal with that kind of pain day in and day out. Almost feels like spasming, only.. Not Really. Hard to explain.
Glad You got better!
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 16 Jan 2015, 20:08

I had the stingers as well. I forget when as it was early on...maybe 3 weeks post-op. Lasted about 5 days. Almost forgot about it until you posted this. Must have been loose/free nerve endings from cutting the muscle. Hope they don't last much longer for you.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby soey » 17 Jan 2015, 00:46

Thank You, msimon! I hope the stop as well.. How are things going with You? Still having pain from the incision site?
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 17 Jan 2015, 01:36

Thanks for asking Soey. I am still having pain from the incision site. I hope my CRS has some good news for me this coming Thursday because I can't tell if I am healing or not.
msimon

Postby soey » 17 Jan 2015, 02:53

Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that your CRS gives You some answers or advice on Where to go from here. Hope You hang in There! Feels like my mental health is the worst part of this fissurehell again.. After a bad BM this morning, I felt like my whole world collapsed.. I feel like a real nutcase! How do You deal with this? I mean.. I can't imagine living another year like this, or worse; A whole lifetime. If the LIS failes for me, I'm not sure if I can manage for much longer..
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 17 Jan 2015, 03:51

Yes, it IS hell. How was your BM so bad? Mine were absolute agony for at least a week after the surgery. My fissure never made me spasm and burn like that! I was trembling in pain. What do you have for pain meds?

Please try not to think too far ahead. The recovery from LIS can be a slow and very painful one. Have faith though, the research shows this surgery to be very successful for nearly everyone. Do you know how much muscle your Doctor cut? When do you have a follow up?
msimon

Postby soey » 17 Jan 2015, 04:15

I have no pain from the incision site, it closed up after a couple of days. Well except the stabbing! The first BM after surgery was very painful. The incision site ripped open, and There was so much blood.. But already the next day it got alot better. I had a hard stool this morning and had to strain go get it out. Now I have the typical fissure pain, but no spasming. I try to stay away from the pain meds, since I've been taking them for over a year..
My CRS cut about 1cm, but I havent been experiencing any type of incontinence whatsoever. Not even temporary. I have a feeling she should have done the dialation at the same time, because my anus can hardly handle poo's that are 'normal' size.
Followup wouldnt be needed according to my CRS.. Only to give her a call if theres any problems.

I dont even remember what it's like to poo without any pain.. I dont think people realize how bad this is.. Every time i eat, I keep Thinking 'oh gosh it's gonna hurt when this comes out the other end'..
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist