Recent diagnosis: rectal prolapse, please help!!!

Hemorrhoids, prolapse

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Recent diagnosis: rectal prolapse, please help!!!

Postby hopeful_but_scared! » 07 Feb 2015, 20:57

Hi Everyone,
After a bout with diarrhea last weekend, I ended up with extreme pain, bleeding and inflammation. I thought it was just a flare-up of my hemorrhoids, but the usual home measures did nothing. After about five days of severe pain and not even being able to go to work , I saw my Primary doctor who seemed horrified by what he saw and immediately sent me to the surgeon's office. The CRS diagnosed this as "acute rectal prolapse" and also seemed very concerned about the situation. Luckily he was able to reduce this in the office (very painful also but such a relief!). He didn't even do any kind of internal exam since there was so much swelling and inflammation, he wants to wait 4 weeks. He recommended I take miralax every am and colace every evening so that I will not have to strain at all.
I am so scared about having a bowel movement that it will cause the prolapse to happen again. He said that if it happens again, I should be able to reduce it on my own. He said it may or may not ever happen again, just too soon to tell.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any advice or feedback? Thanks in advance.
hopeful_but_scared!

Topics: 1

Re: Recent diagnosis: rectal prolapse, please help!!!

Postby Scientist2516 » 08 Feb 2015, 10:42

Hi Hopeful,
sorry I haven't experienced this, I just wanted to sympathise and say how awful and scary that sounds. i hope somebody else knows about rectal prolapse. Have you tried searching the forum?
I can well believe you are scared to poop again. Has it happened yet? Are you OK?
Ugghhh these anal problems are just so miserable.

:smilyhug: :smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: Recent diagnosis: rectal prolapse, please help!!!

Postby jlm1 » 08 Feb 2015, 21:46

I'm so sorry that you are going through this and, unfortunately, I have no suggestions as I have not had rectal prolapse. Sounds terribly painful.....hang in there and I'm sure yo will find others who can relate. Try to live in faith, not fear. That's what I tell myself. And I totally appreciate the pain you must be in. Pain in that area is just awful :(
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22