Mini-Update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Mini-Update

Postby Turk the cat » 10 Feb 2015, 11:26

Oh yeah Chachacha! Everyone is different, I don't mean to alarm.

It's just been a long road for me. Actually, right now I have to keep reminding myself my digestive system and NOT my bum is the real culprit these days. Plus those hem's of course.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby Still hoping » 11 Feb 2015, 22:07

I've been really tired from work so I will keep this short. I saw my CRS yesterday. The good news is that my fissure is healed and the surgical incision is healed! I have two things that are going on. He said the bumps that I saw are actually skin tags that can develop from the surgery. He said they shouldn't be a problem. I thought the skin tags were giving me the bulk of the pain but I was wrong about that. I think the skin tags were irritated from cleaning up after BMs (I have tried to be very gentle, just dabbing with wet wipes, but it takes so long to clean up). Today I used Vaseline to protect the area and it feels a lot better.

The doctor diagnosed me with levator syndrome. This is what's causing the sharp, stabbing pains. The treatment is pelvic floor therapy and/ or muscle relaxants. My pelvic floor already has issues so it doesn't shock me that these other muscles are spasming. Fortunately I already have a pelvic floor therapist so she can help me. I just took my first flerexril to helo the muscles relax.

I think the pain I have from these muscle spasms ends up referring to the outside of my anal area. That's where I feel the pain but I guess that's not where it's coming from.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby chachacha » 11 Feb 2015, 22:42

Thanks for the update. I'm so sorry to hear that you now have a new issue to deal with, but as you say, at least you already have a therapist to help you. And I hope that the drug makes a difference too.

I'm only 3 weeks out, and my "bumps" are shrinking still. I wondered if mine might also be skin tags, but they were there from post-op day 1, unlike yours. I would think that tags would take time to erupt (as yours did).

Hopefully, now that you have a diagnosis, you can treat this new problem quickly, and be pain-free soon.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby chachacha » 15 Feb 2015, 10:08

I just realized that I should update my post for those who come later looking for the experiences of others.

I'm definitely pain-free now, except for that new hemmie, and that only hurts if I touch it directly or sit on something that isn't well-cushioned. I'm sitting at the computer now and on the couch as long as I like, so I'm feeling much more positive. I'll be seeing my CRS for my first post-op appointment in two weeks time and will see if this hemmie is actually a hemmie, or something else. I'm going to try to go outside for the first time tomorrow and see if I can finally sit on my car seat and drive somewhere (maybe somewhere exciting like the local convenience store for milk or bread!).
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Still hoping » 26 Feb 2015, 11:01

Thanks for the encouragement Chachacha. The muscle relaxant does help. I take it and 800 mgs of advil every day. I am able to work and run some errands without much pain. But if I walk for five minutes, the pain flares back up. The problem with the muscle relaxant is that it makes me exhausted and depressed. My counselor says it is a depressant so that makes sense then. My pelvic floor therapist worked on the muscles (through the vagina) but they tightened back up again pretty quickly. She wants to work on them through the rectum but I am very nervous about getting another fissure.

The unfortunate part is that I have wanted to try to get pregnant for the past two years. This all started when I got constipated from taking prenatal vitamins two years ago. Every time I try to fix a problem, a new one pops up and I have to delay trying to conceive again because of the medication I'm they put me on. I'm 39 now, got married at age 36.

Chachacha, how are you doing now? I'm glad that your pain has improved. I hope the hemmie settles down for you. Have you seen your CRS yet?
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby chachacha » 26 Feb 2015, 11:12

I can't remember if you have hemmorhoids or not? I know that my CRS always said to NOT walk if I had any active ones, because the rubbing would aggravate them, so if you do, maybe you should try to not walk too much until they settle down. I don't blame you for not wanting to let the therapist go into the rectum, so don't know what to say on that front. It sounds like a rock and a hard place for sure.

I had my kids fairly late (33 and 37), so really feel for you wanting to get pregnant. So sorry that this issue is delaying your intentions on that front.

My "hemmies", which I now believe are skin tags, are now only about a quarter of their original size, and the painful white-coloured lump is now barely sore at all. I feel 100% healed and am really enjoying my new life.

I hope that things work out for you soon and that you can get back on track with the baby-making stuff!
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby msimon » 26 Feb 2015, 12:29

That's so great that you are doing so well Chacha. :Rock:
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby msimon » 26 Feb 2015, 12:35

Still Hoping, that is great news that you are healed and can get onto the next phase of recovery. I know what you mean by being afraid of getting another fissure from having someone o back there. It takes a whole lot of trust. Is your therapist really gentle and careful? I had one once that I didn't know very well and she rammed her finger in really fast, like it was best to do it fast and get it over with or something and she tore me. But I healed up within a week or so and that was before LIS. I have had others work back there many times before with no problems. As long as hey use enough lubricant and are slow and gentle I would think it would be fine.

I also wanted to note that when I first started with pelvic floor treatment, my Doctor gave me Baclofen for the muscle tightness. She seemed to think it was really helpful with this type of pain/spasm. It didn't help me as my muscles were just so so tight and I had to go on to botox, for many years.
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby chachacha » 27 Feb 2015, 12:52

I think that I will be posting on this thread for the last time, because I had my post-op appointment with the surgeon today and he says that all is good. He believes that my little (and only occasionally tender) spot will continue to get better, but also that the tags will be with me for life. I didn't want to bring up the fact that some on this forum have had them disappear completely, so I don't know if just mine are permanent. The tags to not cause me pain however, and my husband says that they have shrunk incredibly since the surgery, so even if they stay forever, it is not a problem for me at all. And after reading so much on this wonderful forum, and learning so much about the very delicate anal anatomy, I would never have surgery just to have them removed!

I will continue to hang around and hopefully help others who come after me, and wish all members well on their anal journeys.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby msimon » 27 Feb 2015, 14:15

CONGRATULATIONS! :rainbow: :energetic: :fireworks: