Just home from LIS surgery this morning!

Update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just home from LIS surgery this morning!

Postby Whatapaininthearse! » 27 Feb 2015, 14:12

Just an update for today....well I woke up this morning feeling like I needed to go for a BM. It resulted in a very small nugget being passed. I then felt like I needed to go again this afternoon, I went to the loo and passed a firm small stool but still felt like my bowels weren't empty.

I have just been again! As I felt I had to go and had a much more normal sized stool but I did have to strain a bit to get it out!! It wasn't particularly painful but it is now stinging a little so have jumped straight in the bath. I think I may return to using laxido as I know it keeps my stools soft rather than using the Fybogel the CRS advised me to take. Here's hoping I won't suffer too much pain wise this evening!! Off on my trip tomorrow! Spent too much money on it, not to go!! I'll post again in next couple of days x
Whatapaininthearse!
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby owmybum » 27 Feb 2015, 14:49

Good luck.... I hope you can enjoy your trip!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby chachacha » 04 Mar 2015, 14:58

How was the trip? I hope that all went well and you didn't experience much pain.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Whatapaininthearse! » 06 Mar 2015, 04:33

Hi guys! Sorry it's bern a little while since my last post.

Well I survived the trip away! I was actually surprised with how well I coped! I managed to walk quite a bit and I'm finding sitting down no problem. I have had a BM everyday since my last posting, they have been far less painful and I'm not getting anywhere near as much pain after a BM as before the LIS!

The only thing I havd noticed is that now after a BM I am getting quite a itchy feeling inside. I don't know if this is the fissure healing or something else? I hope it's not something else!!

Overall though I think I'm doing pretty well, I am managing to go out now after a BM rather than being in pain for the rest of the day and housebound.

I think just trying to get on with things and keeping busy is helpful! It means you don't sit around all day just thinking about your bum! Obviously, only do as much as you can manage and don't push yourself too much.

I'm hoping that the itchyness will go away soon and I'll continue on the right road :-)
Whatapaininthearse!
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 06 Mar 2015, 08:51

Sounds like things are going really well for you and I hope that the itchiness goes away soon. Thanks for the update and I'm so glad that your trip went well too.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Turk the cat » 06 Mar 2015, 14:26

Way to go whatapaininthearse! NOW inquiring minds want to know did the correct Rubgy team win? Who was playing? Which team were you rooting for.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby Whatapaininthearse! » 12 Mar 2015, 05:01

Morning guys! Just thought I'd post to say that i'm still doing well.
The soreness from the op has gone now. I was having a lot of itchiness after going for a BM but that seems to have lessened now aswell. I am continuing to take Fybogel daily, my stools have been fairly loose though and my CRS said he wanted to producing 'little torpedo' shaped stools....not happening yet....guess I just have to give it time.
All in all things are an awful lot better and I am not being crippled by that horrendous fissure pain! I have had a few spasms and sharp pains but nothing like it was before the LIS.
I wouldn't say I am going to the toilet and feeling like I did before I ever had a fissure.....not sure if that will happen eventually or if it's supposed to be as good as before? But for now I'm in alot less pain and am living my life again.
If any of you are considering LIS and are at all worried about it please don't be, it's a simple procedure, that will leave u a little sore and uncomfortable for a few days/week but in my experience it's totally worth it to get out of the awful pain that was dictating and ruining my life!
Good luck to anyone going for LIS, go for it! To anyone that is in pain and suffering right now, i really do feel for you! I hope you will get the help u need soon, make sure u keep on to the right people if you feel you're not being heard! Sometimes u have to shout to be listened to. Take care all xx
Whatapaininthearse!
Fibre Addict

Postby Whatapaininthearse! » 12 Mar 2015, 05:06

By the way....Turkthecat, I went to see Ireland vs England in the RBS 6 nations. Ireland won. My Mum and I were really supporting England but my mum is Half Irish so it didn't matter too much who won. I still can't believe I made the trip after the surgery, I was lucky! Mind over matter sometimes i think x
Whatapaininthearse!
Fibre Addict

Postby Bailey » 12 Mar 2015, 17:12

So glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you enjoyed your wonderful trip.

Thank you for sharing your story. I've been reading the boards, quite anxious because I've been struggling with this fissure for 5 months now and it continues to come and go. I have a colonoscopy scheduled in two weeks and hope to have a better idea what we are dealing with then. Nifedipine didn't seem to help much, just a week into a trial of nitro. I'm mentally preparing myself for the fact that I may need surgery - which my Dr says "is not a pleasant experience."

And, I have a fabulous trip planned in August to Italy, England, and Scotland. I want to be healed by summer! It makes me so anxious and so sad to think about travelling with this pain and/or not being able to enjoy the pasta in Italy.

You give me hope that this will improve! Thank you.
Diagnosed anal fissure October 2014
Tried nifedipine - fissure seemed to be healing but reoccurred January 2015
Switched to Nitro and started Resoralax - Beginning of March 2015
Bailey
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1