LIS surgery Tuesday

Journal of LIS and recovery postpartum

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS surgery Tuesday

Postby NDMK312 » 04 Apr 2015, 06:13

My post-op paperwork says to resume activities as you feel comfortable. I might ease into it. At the moment I have only felt like walking. Definitely avoid intense squats or crossfit :). Call the doctors office if you are really unsure. I'm their best friend right now. Hope all is going well! I'm still plugging along waiting for my first pain free BM. Been better but not 100%. Slow going for me.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Fissurefrustration » 05 Apr 2015, 06:14

How did it go Bronco?
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby Broncosgirl » 05 Apr 2015, 08:31

Hi All,
This is a bit late, but here is the day 4 update:

My morning BM was slightly better than the day before. It was about a 5 out of 10 with the pain right after at about a 2. I even had to push a bit with this one and it didn't seem to make thing s worse.

This was the first day since surgery day that I felt any notable pain from the surgery site. It felt more sore today but still fairly mild at about a 2-3 on the pain scale.

I did a 30 minute workout on the elliptical. It did cause a slight discomfort which I think was from the sweat because when I stopped I was immediately fine.

I am happy to report that not only have I experienced no gas or fecal incontenance whatsoever, my butt actually doesn't feel much different in its function than before surgery.

I am starting to have hope that my nightmare is ending. I want so badly to be able to return to running and to be able to enjoy my daughter without the lingering pain each day.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby laban21 » 05 Apr 2015, 12:33

Hi Broncos girl. This afternoon past 3 p.m. will be day 4 for me. I finally had my first BM this morning and it was literally a pain in my butt. Immediately it felt like level 10 pain but after 5-10 minutes the pain decreased. Right now I feel like I'm back to where I was before I had a BM which was about 4 hours ago. I had to take the hydrocodone afterwards for the pain. My pain level isn't nearly as bad as before. Maybe at a level 1 or 2. The BM was very soft thanks to all the water I drank yesterday which was about 64 ounces maybe even more than that. I think I drank water once every hour. I honestly don't want to have another BM. I didn't think it would be this painful going on day 4. I had a fissurectomy with botox and a skin tag removal. The pain felt like someone was giving me electric shock down there. It felt like a twitching pain or spasm pain. Every time I felt a spasm it felt like small electric shock there. The spasms were an effect of the BM. Can anyone on here relate to what I am talking about here and tell me how long before that type of pain goes away?
Misdiagnosed with hemorrhoids in summer and fall '14
Diagnosed with an anal fissure in around Sept '14
Nifedipine cream since late '14
Tried botox around Oct/Nov '14
Hemorrhoid mistaken for skin tag until early '15
Fissurectomy April 1st '15
laban21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Broncosgirl » 05 Apr 2015, 15:50

Hi laban21,
I'm sorry you are in so much pain. Mine BM this morning was actually more painful than yesterday. I am starting to feel discouraged as well. I'm not sure if I had unrealistic expectations of how quickly the surgery would stop fissure pain, but I do get worried that it is not going to work.

I emailed my doctor and she said it can take 1-2 weeks for the fissure pain to subside so I am trying to hold out hope until then. Maybe someone else can chime in on your question, but hopefully we are just at the start of our healing and will make it over that hump soon.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby laban21 » 05 Apr 2015, 17:37

The pain I felt this morning was less of the fissure pain and more of the spasm pain. I just wanted to know how long before I stop having spasms down there as a reaction of the surgery.
laban21
Fibre Addict

Postby Broncosgirl » 05 Apr 2015, 19:27

I've heard that botox can take a while to start relaxing the sphincter so I would imagine once that occurs the spasms will stop. I would call your CRS and see how long the botox takes to go into effect. I hope relief comes soon for you!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby laban21 » 06 Apr 2015, 00:25

I thought the botox is supposed to kick in right away. Either way it has been past 4 days now. I'm not even sure if it's my internal sphincter that's having spasms. But I don't want to have BMs any time soon.
laban21
Fibre Addict

Postby Broncosgirl » 06 Apr 2015, 10:14

Day 5 and 6

These days have been total opposites. Day 5 was the worst pain with my BM since day 1 after surgery. I would say it was about a 6 out of 10 with pain at about a level 4-5 continuing for a while afterward.

Last night i woke to horrible itching that kept me awake for a while. The itching has persisted into the morning of day 6.

Day 6: This was the moment I have been waiting for. I had my morning BM and the pain was about a 1-2. The itching intensified afterward but I will take that any day to the shards of glass feeling. It was the first time in 2 months I haven't been violently shaking or about to pass out after a BM. I started crying I was so happy. I am about to cry again just typing this. It has been so exhausting and I feel hope for the first time in forever. I can see myself having my life back... seeig friends, playing with my daughter, running a half marathon. Let's hope this continues. And let's hope this horrible itch means healing!!!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 06 Apr 2015, 10:21

I'm so terribly happy for you! Let's hope that each day keeps getting better and better and better!

:|:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19