First fissure

Help and support

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

First fissure

Postby Sufferingbadly » 11 Apr 2015, 17:18

Hello all!
I am brand new to fissures and it is soo awful! I just had a baby and since I had surgery, I figured my irregularity and hard stools was due to that. I started to bleed with bowel movements and had a couple painful poops. I mistake them for hemmroids (which I've dealt with a lot in the past) so I took a couple sitz baths, would feel better and then forget about them. Now I can't help but to completely blame and be so mad at myself that I didn't get help from a doctor early on. I've had this now for a month. They have frightened me to where I find it hard to work up the courage to eat in fear of pooping, I can't take care of my children without assistance cos I am unable to move around very well. Walking and bending over hurt the most. Reading all the posts on here, I'm in fear of this never going to get better, and surgery seems so 50/50 as far as good results. I cry in pain after bowel movements (mainly cos the spasms don't stop for a few hours, and any movement feels like I'm just taking a piece of glass and cutting myself further. I only feel comfortable laying on my back. I feel very depressed most days and I have lost a lot of weight. I basically live in the bath. A CRS gave me nifedipine and lidocaine to apply a couple times a day but I'm not sure if I am supposed to use them both at the same time or not. Does anyone happen to know the answer to that? Should I be eating more instead of eating very little? What kind of diet do you have to stay regular? Also I have a lump at the opening of my anus and so the CSR said it's probably a chronic fissure! I've heard horrible things about healing rate with those. I just really need the support from others who are suffering too Thanks for reading!
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Re: First fissure

Postby hurtinend » 11 Apr 2015, 18:38

you need to get educated on fissures and how to manage them . Tons of info here and on the net

I wish you the best
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby tigerbutt2 » 11 Apr 2015, 21:18

Hi Sufferingbadly, I'm sorry to hear about your pain. Are you on a stool softener? Many on this forum including myself have found Miralax works well. If you decide to try it, I would start at maybe a half dose at first, see how it goes (it can take 3-4 days to kick in), and then adjust from there (some find that a full dose gives them diarrhea). For food, my CRS told me NOT to eat less--he said that not eating enough can actually result in harder stools. Fiber is the usual recommendation, but I would taking it slow in adding that too. I found soluble fiber to be the most helpful--sweet potatoes (I baked them like fries with olive oil), pears, avocados, etc. You could also try a supplement like Citrucell, which is a powder that you just mix into water and drink, which also adds soluble fiber. I'm not sure about the timing of your nifedipine and liocaine as I never had that combo, but others on here might be able to help.

In terms of healing rates, I think it can take a few months on the prescription creams to heal up, but I think they can heal chronic fissures. But even if the creams don't work for you in the long run, I think the surgery healing rate (as scary as surgery can sound) is much higher than 50/50--bear in mind that most people who post on this forum and stick around are those who unfortunately fall into the small percentage of those who continue to have problems. My CRS cited a 95-98% success rate with the surgery. I'm only 4 weeks out from mine, but so far, I feel pretty good!
tigerbutt2
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Sufferingbadly » 11 Apr 2015, 21:44

Thank you tigerbutt2,

I am currently taking a stool softener in the morning and one at night. I have to be careful as to what I'm taking since I'm breastfeeding my daughter who just turned a month old. (Which has become hard to do when I can't even move)... I've actually started eating a couple prunes a day because I found one time that they gave me diarrhea(I ate a whole bag in two days) so I figure a couple each day may help me loosen up my stools along with the tons of water I drink and stool softeners. Today I ate alittle more. I had yogurt in the morning, a graham cracker, some freeze dried apples, a homemade fresh tamale with potato and carrots inside of it. Also had a rice cake that's made with brown rice.
So your getting surgery for yourself soon? How long have you been suffering with your fissure? Thanks.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 12 Apr 2015, 08:12

:wel: to the forum and a big :smilyhug: to you. Congratulations on your new baby, and so sorry you have had to come to us, if you know what I mean, when you should just be enjoying your time.

First question: are you drinking enough water? I think you should be drinking at least 6 litres a day if you are breastfeeding.

Second question: how are your estrogen levels? They can be depleted during breastfeeding, and this can further contribute to your anal fissure not healing. Do ask your doctor about this. There is a thread on here from someone else about their experiences while breastfeeding, and she stopped (I am sure that is not what you want to hear) and her fissure healed. And she has not been back since: breast-feeding-t4268.html#p68855

As far as I know, you can use Miralax while breastfeeding. Miralax works by hydrating the stool, softening and easing the way, so to speak. It is what is known as an osmotic laxative, which is the best kind. Once again, if you are worried, ask your doctor, but would certainly recommend this as the best one.

If you want to look at any other breastfeeding stories and fissure, here is the link on the Forum: search.php?keywords=breastfeeding&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Also, if you are looking for something specific on the Forum, the best way to do a search is to use the Search, which is located just between FAQ and Portal, on the line that begins with Home, just under the turquoise around the bird photo . On there you can fill in the topic, or you can search for words or who posted the post. The other search function (right top) is pretty useless...

Do let us know how you are getting on!

Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jlm1 » 12 Apr 2015, 14:14

HI there,

First of all, I know it's hard but try to stay positive! As someone else said above, the people who linger on here have had more complications, have taken longer to heal, etc...but that is not the norm. Most fissures heal. I have a 2 year old so I understand how hard it is to deal with this horrible pain and a little one. Hang in there and try to get family to help you. Most people who use the creams heal and most people who have surgery do very well and have great outcomes. I haven't had the surgery. I had botox and it healed my fissure. Maybe that is an option for you? Ask your doctor. My CRS said that most people she has given botox injections to have healed. Again, complications are not the norm. I had other complications so my healing has taken a long time. Read peoples posts as there is a lot of great info on this site. Drink water, take softener and eat good foods. (high fiber, veggies, protein, etc) The lump is probably a skin tag. I have one and while it's not the prettiest thing and can be annoying, it's really not that bog of a deal. It keeps my hemmie company, LOL :)
The spasms are horrible and I will never forget that pain but it will pass. It will get better! Use the ointments and if they don't seem to be working go back to your doctor and talk about next steps. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby hurtinend » 12 Apr 2015, 14:24

Great suggestions here

I now have a squatty potty. The hope is that it makes it easier to empty the bowels. Less strain will assist the healing process

www.squattypotty.com

Will let you know if it helps
hurtinend
King Fissure

Postby jlm1 » 12 Apr 2015, 14:31

yes, I have a squatty potty too! I think it helps! Hope it helps you too
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby hurtinend » 12 Apr 2015, 14:41

I had been using a step stool for a while. Really noticed that by getting the knees higher and bending over makes the bowels empty better. Now with the squatty potty I will try to go by squatting over the bowl. I hope that this takes pressure off the rear.

So odd, never ever gave pooping a second thought, until I developed this rear end issue.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Postby Sufferingbadly » 12 Apr 2015, 15:01

hurtinend wrote:I had been using a step stool for a while. Really noticed that by getting the knees higher and bending over makes the bowels empty better. Now with the squatty potty I will try to go by squatting over the bowl. I hope that this takes pressure off the rear.

So odd, never ever gave pooping a second thought, until I developed this rear end issue.

Yeah me either (thinking about how to take my daily doodie)
I had one today that was not pleasant and I know it didn't all come out. Fortunately I wasn't in bed ridden pain after (even though the Stool was semi hard) but of course now I'm having negative thoughts that this next bowel movement will be horrible!! But I am just going to drill some positivity into my brain and relax as much as possible while going. OH something I've noticed is that I can't help but to kind of "push" when the stool is coming out of me. Is that just normal for your body to do or should I try to refrain from doing so? Thanks!
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist