Fissure healing?

Roller coaster coming to a complete stop?

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Fissure healing?

Postby Sufferingbadly » 13 May 2015, 23:02

Hi Hurtinend,
I did happen to push last night because my normal BM is 2 a day. If I only go once in the day, by the next morning I am backed up and it's hard. I don't know why it happens like that. Sometimes I even go 3 times a day. So frequent BM is normal for me. After surgery from having my baby, that's when my BM became abnormal there for leading to days on end of constipation. When I did push last night, the stool came out and was sooo hard! I was so fearful that I would get extremely backed up at that point so yes unfortunately I kept pushing so that I could get it all out. :constipated: It really aggravated me. Today I went in the morning and again around 3:30pm. It hurt but I did a sitz bath in coconut oil which actually felt extremely good. :D ..Usually I use Epsom salt but coconut oil bath was much more soothing. I've started my stool softners today. I'm definitely not going to push anymore. I learned my lesson. :booboo:
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Scientist2516 » 14 May 2015, 09:50

There are some things you can try that can help you evacuate without pushing.

http://www.squattypotty.com/ and also search for squatty potty on this forum.

success-with-colorec-toilet-seat-t7541.html
healed-with-posterior-support-toilet-seat-t7181.html

One thing I found was that during a big painful poop, it really helped to reach behind and press on the skin just above the anus and below the tail bone. It seemed to support that fragile skin and also somehow make the rectum at a better angle for the poop to slide out.

Another useful tip (if you don't want to buy a squatty potty) is just to keep a small footstool in the bathroom to raise your feet off the ground and get a better angle.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Sufferingbadly » 14 May 2015, 22:31

Thanks Scientist2516,
I currently squat over a sitz bucket in the bathtub. And I have the bathtub prefilled with warm water. So once I do my BM in the bucket, I dump it out in the toilet and then sit in the water immediately. It helps seize any potential horrendous pain that may come about. Yup it's quite the routine, but it helps me feel better. I hold on to the sides of the bathtub when I'm squatting and I try to think of waves crashing on the shoreline. It's so hard to stay relaxed when the anxiety of not knowing if it's going to be an easy BM or not. Today I had much different symptoms which are leading me to believe that my hemmies are acting up BIG TIME! After my BM this morning, I had an almost burning type sensation, and I felt like I had a pressure, to describe the pressure, it's as though the insides of my bum were swelling up and expanding and at any moment it could all explode. It was so uncomfortable to sit or stand or even lay down. I layed down on my stomach for about an hour or more and as long as I wasn't sitting down, I felt alittle better. I also had a type of throbbing feeling too. I haven't had throbbing in awhile. I'm also having a hard time passing gas which I am assuming is my inflamed hemmies? I wish I had the courage to let the doctors look inside to tell me how many fissures they see, or how bad my hemmies are. I am scared I guess..(scared that their tools to look inside will damage me further).. I started my stool softners last night so I'm just really hoping that it will help me get back on track. My husband has the day off tomorrow. I'm really hoping i have a good day and not another bad day like today. I'm taking a sitz bath right now. I can hear my baby crying and my other one running a muck :roll: I guess that's my que to get out of the bath and relieve my mother in law and put the kiddos to bed. :thanx: for reading :huggies:
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sufferingbadly » 15 May 2015, 19:00

Today I'm feeling better. I've gone to the bathroom twice today and each time it hurt less. A question I'm wondering is...I can actually feel my internal hemmies. It's as if the inner veins are pushing against my outer anus and when I touch it, they are sort of hard. I get really itchy after a BM so I use desitin and it gives me relief along with using my coconut oil suppository. Can hemmies be very painful (like a fissure minus the feeling of passing glass)?? And also can hemmies be just as miserable feeling as a fissure(When they are inflamed)?
I've had hemmies, but not to where they were problematic, and I can't really find info on how they may feel as far as pain.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 15 May 2015, 22:59

Glad to hear you are doing better. I will do my best to answer your questions about the hemmies. I have had them on and off most of my life but only the external thrombosed ones have caused me pain. I have had internal ones banded many times but they were always smaller (stage 1 or 2) and not prolapsing (stage 3 or 4). My Mom had severe hemmies though after having my Brother and I but I don't think she has had fissure issues so cannot compare the two. But her hemmies were agonizing and would burn and itch and throb. I know that they can also cause the internal sphincter to spasm as it does with fissures so I would suppose they can be very painful then. I know that lots of warm baths are helpful as is removing the precipitating factors such as constipation. What are you taking for a stool softener?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Sufferingbadly » 15 May 2015, 23:16

I'm taking 250mg of colace. When it was given to me originally (after having my daughter in march)..I was told to take one in the morning and one before bed. (But the directions say only one a day so I don't know if two a day is too much) also at that original time they were given to me, I was taking Ibprophin and norco (so maybe thats why they told me to take two a day?) I don't want to over do it. I've tried looking it up on the web but i haven't found a precise answer if it would be ok or not. I'm 120lbs (not sure if that matters). My dad thinks I should take just one and to take it in how middle of the afternoon. Eh..
Still not sure.
I bought a nice big bottle of organic apple cider vinegar "Braggs brand"... I hear it's great for curing hemmies. I've been highly contemplating using it on my bum with a cotton ball and keeping it there for about 30min.... But due to people saying it can sting alittle, and some says it irritates...I've been reluctant to actually try it out.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 16 May 2015, 02:37

Witch hazel on a cotton ball also works well on hemmies to reduce the swelling. It's not great on fissures though (at least I found it can sting). Never tried apple cider vinegar so I can't speak to that. I just know that it smells and tastes awful. Whatever you try you can try diluting it first with some water to see how you do.

Another tip I have from my Mom (whose hemmies were huge after a difficult labour) is to lay on your stomach and leave a hot compresses on for 10 minutes at a time several times/day. They did this to her in the hospital before she went home (back in the days when they used to keep you there for a while after). She said they used piping hot water but I have found that very warm water works best. You could even add salt to the water to bring some of the swelling out. I would just fill a bucket and some hot water and a soft cloth and just keep warming the cloth up in the water and placing it on the hemmies. It's the best thing I know for them and doesn't require a lot of time and work (compared to bathing at least). I would also lay there for a few minutes after so the swelling has a chance to come out before standing up and being affected by gravity. I would also limit my time standing and sitting and lay down as much as possible. I was fortunate to be able to do this.

If you don't find the colace to help a lot, people on here really like Miralax. Are you in the US? That is what it is called there. I like to take my stool softeners throughout the day to keep things consistently soft (I take miralax and magnesium and a small amount of psyllium/metamucil). If you have trouble remembering or finding the time, I find in the morning to be the best time for once/day. That way it can act on everything you eat in the day. Anyway, I ramble on...hope some of this helps. Oh yeah, ibuprofen is good for reducing swelling too.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby hopefull » 17 May 2015, 18:24

Thanks for sharing :)

A lot of what you are saying resonates with me. I too have an AF from the birth of my wee boy. It is very difficult to get the stools soft while BF ah. I also found prunes to give baby gas, he can manage if I eat two/day. I take the following to keep stools soft: Lactulose stool softener 15 ml twice a day (its not enough on its own, its just a sugar that pulls water into the bowel, very safe), 3x flaxseed caps morning and night, a teaspoon slippery elm 3 times a day between meals, a weak senna leaf tea (Alpine Tea by Red Seal in the morning (some don't recommend this while BF but doctor said ok and seen no effect on baby) also magnesium citrate morning and night. I also need to drink 6 L plus of water a day and drink water throughout the night, which is a pain to keep needing to go loo but would rather that than hard stools. I eat mostly vege and fruit. Oat milk is good as mostly soft fibre, and fresh kiwifruit juice as it contains an enzyme that breaks down proteins. Only then do I have soft stools. I take a prenatal multivitamin and have a half strength protein shake (with oat milk) to help with the BF. I'm currently doing 2 BMs per day with this but I suppose everyone is different. With the addition of the prenatal multivitamin I saw a cut on my leg finally healed, it might be a coincidence or that the breastmilk was taking all the goodness from the food.

Did you take antibiotics after the birth? I took some serious ones so have taken probiotics since then and noticed an improvement in my digestion and babies since then. Are you taking an iron supplement?

It's full on managing the AF and the baby ah. Sounds like you have good support and a very understanding partner.

Keep up those fun outings, sounds like they lifted your spirits :)

Thanks for sharing that your doctor said it would take a year to get healed from the hemmies, it was nice to hear a realistic time frame to work towards. I have heard that the body takes nine months to recover from pregnancy/labour so that was what I was aiming for.
AF since Jan '15 postpartum
Taking: Lax-sachets, flaxseed oil, Mg
Topical: Diltiazem, Sudocrem
Circulation: Warm wheat bag, relax, short walks
Tried: Rectogesic, slippery elm, Lactulose
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby hopefull » 19 May 2015, 04:06

:oops: ps. I posted the above message and then have since seen there is a second page of posts, oops
AF since Jan '15 postpartum
Taking: Lax-sachets, flaxseed oil, Mg
Topical: Diltiazem, Sudocrem
Circulation: Warm wheat bag, relax, short walks
Tried: Rectogesic, slippery elm, Lactulose
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Sufferingbadly » 20 May 2015, 11:54

Ok so here is my update.. I have external hemmies and probably internal ones too. I no longer feel much pain where my fissures are, now I have horrible pain back by my tail bone. I looked this morning and I see a pea sized thrombosed hemmie. It's purplish/blue and oh man it feels like a rock got shoved into my butt and won't come out! I have started using TUCKS pads to cleanse the area, and I still use 40% zinc oxide because sometimes my anus seems irritated, and it helps. I still find myself having to use my coconut oil suppositories mainly cos I've found that it keeps the area inside nice and moist which helps. I was taking 2 stool softeners one in the morning and one at night but I still got hard stools. I went and bought miralax, so now I'm taking one stool softener in the morning and half a cap of miralax in the evening. (I'm hoping this helps me stay very soft!!) I'm trying to master my diet and not cheat AT ALL! Even though it's super hard to do cos all I want is chocolate cake and a big cup of coffee .lol. Oh I also started using a hemmie suppository cos I was so swollen inside. I also continue to use my nifedipine cos i think it has helped me to have no spasms, or if I am spasming, I'm not feeling it. Any one have advice on what to do about a thrombosed hemmie? Will it go away on it's own? Thanks in advance!
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist