Please help me

anal fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Please help me

Postby Savaici » 17 Jun 2015, 20:30

Salamon, the pain that you experience after a BM from spasms is one of the really nasty side effects of anal fissures. I too had these and they went on for close on 2 years before I experienced some relief. Just happened gradually that the pain decreased.

Please do read pinpin and Davo's reports of their surgery. The are really two of the best ones on here, written clearly. Also, as I said before, the vast majority of those who come here have had surgery, left the forum and are busy getting on with living life again :sunny:

It is probably a good idea that they do a colonoscopy so that they can make sure that nothing else is wrong, and as you said he is an experienced surgeon I am sure he is doing what he thinks is best. Another good thing; you have caught this when the fissure is relatively acute. Much the best. Many of us leave it much too long before seeing a CRS.

I too used both Nifedipine and Diltiazem, though the are both close to being the same in that they are both Calcium Channel Blockers. Eventually they both gave me a rash so had to stop. I never tried Rectiv, which can induce headaches in most people. I never used Miralax. I use Milk of Magnesia. What helped me through it all was the ability to get through the night with the help of a very low dose of Lorazapam. Don't know what I would have done without it.

Anyway, good luck with your colonoscopy.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby msimon » 17 Jun 2015, 22:27

I don't have much to add to Savaici's post. I agree that you should read those diaries as they are very encouraging and will prepare you for all you need to know about surgery and recovery. My LIS experience was not a common one as I ended up with complications and am still healing but this is likely because I have other muscle problems in the area and irritable bowel syndrome (ie., I poop a lot).

I have been on this board for about a year or so now and I have lost count of those I have seen come and go after a successful LIS surgery. If you have an experienced CRS that you trust I would let him/her do what they think is best for you. If the ointment is not working and botox is not an option with your Doctor, then LIS would be the most logical thing to do. Nobody should have to live with the pain you are living with.

I have to agree with Savaici about the about the Lorazepam (Ativan) as well. This does help with spasms and the anxiety caused by being in severe pain. It is only meant for short term use a it can be addictive, which, if you are getting surgery, you would not likely need long term anyway. Maybe your Doctor could prescribe some for you until you can get surgery. It has really helped me too.

Let us know how your colonoscopy goes.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby salamon555 » 17 Jun 2015, 22:40

Thank you Msimon and Savaici for the help , and I look forward to more helpful information and I hope you get better soon . again I m so happy to have found this site . I have learned a lot . My Best Wishes .
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby salamon555 » 19 Jun 2015, 19:51

Hello , like I said before my app. for colonoscopy on Tuesday . but This last couple days and with using Miralax I had to go to the bathroom and finely my BMs was soft with no horror pain and this is the first time since a month and half , in spite off some discomfort im so thankful . so I m thinking to reschedule my app in order to avoid any damage to my fissure hopefully it s a sign of healing . please advice me do I have to go to the colonoscopy then surgery as I was planing before or just give it a chance and see if it will heal by it s own . Thx
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 19 Jun 2015, 21:07

Difficult to advise you on this, so I will say what I would do. Postpone the appointment as late as you can and see how you go. You are right about avoiding damage when you think you might be healing. Others have had this very thing happen; I did not have it happen. I had a sigmoidoscopy and they were very gentle. Up to you to make a decision about this in the end. Don't be afraid to go with what your gut instinct tells you about this.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby msimon » 19 Jun 2015, 22:13

I have to agree with Savaici in that you need to listen to your gut. Miralax is an amazing product that, as you have seen, can often give consistently soft BMs. If this is the one thing you were missing in your healing plan, then I think it would be worth giving it some time to see if you can heal on your own. Many people have been able to heal a fissure with ointment and stool softeners alone and surgery should always be a last resort. I suppose if you are willing to suffer a bit, postponing your colonoscopy and surgery would be what I would do. Even if you do have LIS, you still need to make sure your BMs are always soft. Let us know what you decide and how you are doing. Hope things continue to improve for you.
msimon

Postby salamon555 » 21 Jun 2015, 00:04

Yes,this is what I was thinking.I really appreciate all of your help and insight to this horrible problem.You always make me feel like I am not alone with this problem,and you all give me hope.I sincerely appreciate each and everyone of you for your knowledge and help.I thank God that I found this forum ,and the nice people in it!
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 21 Jun 2015, 02:34

So glad to be of help. You are not alone in this at all. It's so surprising to find out how common this problem really is. People really need to talk more openly about things. Suffering in silence is one of the most painful parts of it all.
msimon

Postby salamon555 » 21 Jun 2015, 22:59

Hi you all , today unfortunately I got bad diarrhea; transformed all my last 3 good days to hell. I didn't really have pain during defecation, but afterwards continuous painful spasms lasting about 6 hours. .Fortunately,there was no blood in the stool, but wondering if this spasm could affect the fissure?Even though I had this episode today,I will still cancel my colonoscopy,as I know that the procedure itself will do greater damage to my fissure.I know it will take some time for this fissure to heal ,and like most sufferers,I want it healed today,but I have to remain patient and take it day by day.I really appreciate all of the help and support that I am getting from you all here on this forum.
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sufferingbadly » 22 Jun 2015, 01:52

Oh no!! Sorry to hear that. I also felt that I was healing my fissure. I veared off my diet and ate Taco Bell and also got diarrhea!!! It's so aweful. Yes I do think the spasms can cause the fissure to get irritated because I think that's what happened to me, although I'm still using the nifedipine which I believe has caused less spasms. I'm also waiting to do my colonoscopy. My dad's uncle died from Colon cancer and my dad had it and had a large amount of his insides removed. He wants me to get checked out but I'm scared. My dad says that when you drink the liquid to clean yourself out, you end up in the bathroom basically shooting a waterfall out of your bum all day long!! Even when I feel better (hopefully soon) I don't want to have an awful experience where I'm pooping all day long! Sounds very irritating. Anyway, sorry for ranting. Yes I have to also remind myself to take one day at a time. Staying positive really makes a big difference. I really hope you have a better day tomorrow. Please try a coconut oil suppository. It helped with my pain soo much! I'd love to see if it can help you as well. When I first used one of my suppositories after a BM, I went from a pain level of 10 to a 2 or3. world of difference! It would be nice to know if it can help out others with their pain too.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5