LIS Success/fissure story

3 days out from surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Success/fissure story

Postby Lone_Walker » 11 Jun 2015, 11:56

I'm praying this story repeats with me! I'm scheduled for surgery on June 16th 2015, and I could not be more scared about the risk of infection, pain, and that first BM after surgery :-S

Happy to hear you're doing good! I hope you stay that way forever!!!!!!
Lone_Walker
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Lone_Walker » 17 Jun 2015, 16:30

Any recommendations for me? I had my surgery yesterday and have not had any BM's yet. Yesterday after I got home I took a Vicodin which they precribed me, and a Colace later on before bed time. This morning again a Colace, and breakfast...tons of water, and Benefiber with every meal. Anything I'M DOING WRONG? I'm seriously getting concerned here.
Lone_Walker
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 17 Jun 2015, 17:52

Lone Walker, it is perfectly normal to not have a BM for a day or two following surgery. Did you have general anesthetic? If so, that can really slow the bowels down and narcotic pills will only make that more so. If you are not in a lot of pain it may be best to not take those. I found ibuprofen to be a fairly good pain killer for mild to moderate pain. If you can't get things going milk of magnesia is a safe laxative to try....but it may just be a matter of time. Hang in there.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Lone_Walker » 17 Jun 2015, 17:57

I did had general anesthesia...I have only taken one of the narcotic pills yesterday to aid in with the pain, nothing after that one just Acetinophen.

Thank you, I will try to hang in there, but if tomorrow nothing happens I will add the milk of magnesia on top of the Colace.
Lone_Walker
Fibre Addict

Postby Helpmeheal » 17 Jun 2015, 21:00

Don't panic, Lone Walker. I totally agree with msimon. If you're not in too much pain, I would get off the pain killers and use ibuprofen or Tylenol. After a day of that I didn't need anything. I'd also suggest continuing the water but if you're feeling up to it, then get out and walk some (not strenuous). Do stuff around the house and try not to be sedentary. Hopefully some exercise will help move the bowel along. Also, some yoga spinal twists. Google yoga spinal twists for bowels and see what you get. I hate to recommend one if it's too uncomfortable to sit on your bottom but often times some gentle spinal twists get the bowels moving. Deep breath in the twist allows the diaphragm to massage the organs and get them active. Keep us posted. Hopefully by the time you get this, all is better. But I get it. That first one is so scary but I swear, it's way better than your darkest fissure moments.
Helpmeheal
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Lone_Walker » 18 Jun 2015, 08:36

Helpmeheal, msimon - I finally had a BM this morning, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. The pain while passing it was there but nothing compared to when the fissure was ongoing. Also, the spasm pain I believe is not there either, just a sensation of pain from the wound probably but nothing really bad to take narcotics so I'm staying away from them and only taking Tylenol. The blood, well again, I have had it WAY worse on my darkest days.

I'm praying that this keeps this way, and no infection also! that is something that doesn't sound fun in that area. I'm doing sitz bath twice per day, Colace, lots of water and soft foods.

Good thoughts everyone! I hope I can write a success story out of this.

Quick question tho...Colace is only by prescription here, is that a medicine I can take for the rest of my life? I would not mind at all taking a pill that will make my BM's softer, I do mind having to mix fiber with water every single meal because when I'm away from home it's not very convenient.
Lone_Walker
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 18 Jun 2015, 09:28

Another word for Colace is ducusate, so if you can't find it without prescription I would ask your pharmacy for something with the generic term in it. You could also try Miralax (USA), the generic name of which is polyethylene glycol 3350 (sounds fun doesn't it :evil: ). I use Milk of Magnesia and Mutamucil as fibre.

Good luck with your healing :vse:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby msimon » 18 Jun 2015, 11:25

:stars: Yay! The first (and worst) hurdle is over for you! It's such a relief isn't it? Glad things are on track for you. As for the soft BMs, I use PEG3350. In Canada it is called Restorlax/Laxaday. It is the only one that I know of that is safe for long term use. Don't know about the Colace, although I have heard from many on here that PEG works better than Colace. Either way...

Keep us updated on how you are doing.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64