Miralax / colace / mineral enema / not eating?

Horrible pain

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Miralax / colace / mineral enema / not eating?

Postby daisy001 » 16 Jul 2015, 12:09

The pain remains terrible. Difficulties going to the bathroom this morning made it so much worse. My son is at an overnight camping trip with his camp so I do bed rest this evening.

Does anyone think that Miralax / colace / mineral enema help in any combination?

How about not eating for a day or two or three?

Help.

Daisy
daisy001
Fibre Addict

Topics: 11

Re: Miralax / colace / mineral enema / not eating?

Postby msimon » 16 Jul 2015, 12:37

I know you are in a lot of pain Daisy. I am so sorry to hear of it. :hugs: We understand what you are going through. I know it is really tempting to not eat for a while but what may happen if you do that is your digestive system will slow down and you could then be facing constipation and hard stools, which would make things so much worse. What you need to do is find a way to be regular and have soft (not bulky) BMs. This is achieved with a stool softener and not loading up on fibre. Some fibre is necessary and, unfortunately, this is an individual thing you will have to figure out through trial and error. I can't say enough about heat as a muscle relaxant and promoter of healing. However you can get it, 20 minutes at a time, several times/day. You could use a sitz bath, bath tub, heating pad or hot water bottle. Also, if you can get your hands on some of the fissure healing ointments (nifedipine, nitroglycerine, diltiazem) they can do wonders to heal fissures. It can take a long time though, but hang in there. :huggies:
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby daisy001 » 16 Jul 2015, 16:17

Thank you!
daisy001
Fibre Addict

Postby Daisy Mac » 16 Jul 2015, 23:25

Miralax works really well for me. Fruit has worked better than bran and psyllium for me, although I've been taking just 1/2 tsp of Metamucil a day to 'fluff' things up a bit. If I feel like I'm going to have to strain at all, I stop everything, insert a glycerin suppository and wait at least 30 minutes. A couple weeks ago I was bunged up and was so terrified of a relapse, so I inserted a suppository before bed and it liquified everything by morning and saved me from a relapse. Sorry to be so gross, but it's hard to offer advice on this site without being gross. Glycerin suppositories have been a life-saver for me! Also as hard as it is, I've found that taking deep breaths and letting everything relax/going to my happy place and not tensing up has helped a lot.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby daisy001 » 17 Jul 2015, 08:32

Thank you! Is a Glycerin suppository better than a fleets oil enema? Can I get them over the counter?

This site is a life saver. There is really no place where one can talk so freely about this subject. I'm so glad I found that site.

Daisy
daisy001
Fibre Addict