I AM NEW HERE

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I AM NEW HERE

Postby anteater » 10 Aug 2015, 01:33

Hi Everyone
My name is Doug - I'm a 60-year old male living in the south west of the United Kingdom. Like most people on the site, I guess I was born with a hypertonic anal sphincter and have suffered ever since. I had an old 'anal stretch' in 1992 following a prolonged period of traction and a phosphate salt enema - lovely. That was followed by a LIS in 1996 which I believed had sorted me out, but I started to suffer symptoms - which I was only to happy to ascribe to something else - some years later. I began to experience pain/discomfort in the anal/rectal area and a lot of moisture, to the extent that it always felt wet. I believe that this has caused some secondary damage to my intergluteal cleft. First visit to the GP was in March this year and resulted in a prescription for Rectogesic - I don't think this was properly explained to the extent that my application technique was all wrong (don't put your finger in!) and I didn't persevere. Second visit to the GP resulted in a referral to an NHS CRS for "Pruritus Ani symptoms" in TEN WEEKS!. Panicked and got myself into the Private Healthcare system. Initially prescribed daktacort for the irritation/rash/pain. Attended the NHS appointment and the consultant didn't even examine me, sent me for a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy (which would have cost £1400 privately) and said he would review me in 3 months - turned out to be 4 and all this time I was suffering pain and anxiety. At about this time, saw a second GP who finally identified a small fissure at 6 o'clock. Finally took the plunge (I don't think people appreciate how much your thought processes and judgement are flawed by this condition), saw my private CRS last week - he explained all the options to me going first onto Diltiazem and then Botox if appropriate. He is reluctant to do another LIS in view of the increased risk of faecal incontinence, which is definitely something I could do without! He has many patients of my age and older who manage their condition quite adequately with repeat Botox and/or Diltiazem. In addition, I have an appointment with a dermatologist tomorrow to get information and perhaps help regarding the Pruritus Ani and cleft complaint. Stumbling across this forum is almost like a lifeline to me - again, only sufferers can appreciate how truly debilitating and depressing this condition can be. I look forward to hearing from you all
anteater
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: I AM NEW HERE

Postby hurtinend » 10 Aug 2015, 20:05

Sorry you are here

This condition....I don't think I have words any longer to describe the ride. I lived 42 years of my life with no thought to my rear end, I pooped, I had rare times of being backed up, no big deal.

Nobody understands, not even the experts. The only ones that truly feel this are those of us who have suffered.

I cannot provide much anymore in the way of suggestions. I have tried everything, although I have had no operation or Botox performed. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy. Meanwhile I take Nitro cream and or Diltiazem. Can't say those have ever helped much.

Based on your recent history you are doing the right thing, read this board do sitz baths, work on easy bowel movements do not strain.

I am with you.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby anteater » 11 Aug 2015, 14:59

Much appreciated hurtinend
anteater
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissurefrustration » 13 Aug 2015, 06:35

Hi Doug, welcome to the forum!

I'm from the southwest too :) (Bath here) So it's nice to meet someone reletively local. I fully understand how your feeling and it's just awful I know.I found sudocrem and sitz baths help the most for me, I'm going in for botox again tomorrow morning at the Circle. Thoughts are with you
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby anteater » 13 Aug 2015, 14:56

Fissurefrustration - I sent you an email. Good luck tomorrow
anteater
Fibre Addict

Postby anteater » 25 Sep 2015, 01:49

Just finished 6 weeks of Diltiazem - beginning to wonder if I ever had a fissure, but if I had mild pruritus ani before it's certainly not mild now! Massive flare up and rash and now I really understand when everybody talks about the ITCH. Have large red areas on the inside of both cheeks and am so tempted to buy some sorts of cream just for relief. Used icepacks last night with limited success, but have another appointment with my CRS next Thursday and think I'll hold off until then. Will let you know - good luck to everyone out there!
anteater
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 25 Sep 2015, 06:28

Sorry the dreaded itch has increased!! Yes, Diltiazem can have that 'delightful' effect... I stopped it immediately the itch started and changed to Nifedipine (had to have it done at a compounding pharmacy as discovered I had an allergy to some of the contents including Vaseline and lidocaine so this one was a soft gel, but I have forgotten what the main substance). I gave up on both in the end! I don't put any creams there, always using water only and my Sitz Bath to soak and loosen/bring blood to the sphincter. I never use wipes or soap!

Hope all goes well with your CRS next week and you get some answers. And :wel: to the Forum, by the way.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby anteater » 25 Sep 2015, 08:33

SavaIci - thanks for your thoughts. You beat me on the weight loss, I've only managed 20 pounds since April.
anteater
Fibre Addict