help! nothing is working for me

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

help! nothing is working for me

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 08 Sep 2015, 21:54

basically, i've had an af for over 3 years and a very large skin tag too, the first 2 years it was on and off and i was able to handle it. this year has been horrific. constant pain every time i go toilet.

what i don't understand is that i'm eating well, fruit veggies, lots of water. i've cut out all the bad stuff. unfortunately stool softners have no effect on me. my poo is always hard at the beginning, and then comes out normally. also i've tried GTN and ultroproct. i felt the gtn would have worked if the poo was small and soft, but it hasn't been.

i have a colorectal surgery in a few months, but that seems like a million years away.

just don't know what to do.
Deleted User 4536

Re: help! nothing is working for me

Postby antonia » 08 Sep 2015, 22:06

I took Miralax once in the morning and again at night, and during the day took 100 colace , and I also added benefiber to my diet. the miralax and benefiber have no taste or texture when dissolved in a hot drink. i put it in my coffee. After a bm I was always hurting, and would take hot shower followed by a hot tub bath. I also would put a bunch of coconut oil in the bath water along with my bubble bath. Tylenol also helped. Once I had the surgery in June, I still felt pain for about 3 weeks, but I went to work after two weeks. I had to take the pain pills once a day just to get through a day, for about two weeks post surgery. Don't strain. (everyone says that, but its hard not to.) The hot shower right on the butt area really will help. I hope you feel better. The topical medication prescribed for me was really not much help, and was very expensive. it was the cardizem gel. You will surely feel better after the surgery. It is not a quick fix, but it is a FIX. Do everything you can to relieve yourself of stress and care for yourself. you are the most important thing to take care of at this time. Blessings.
antonia
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 08 Sep 2015, 22:11

thanks for your detailed reply. is miralax equivalent to movicol. if it is, i tried taking it and kept making me vomit. so i stopped using it.
Deleted User 4536

Postby msimon » 08 Sep 2015, 22:15

You really need to eliminate hard stools. Even surgery cannot work if you keep tearing on hard stools. That being said, if it's the spasming sphincter that prevents you from emptying and causes the hard start then the surgery will cure you.

Which stool softeners have you tried? Do you drink a lot of water?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 08 Sep 2015, 22:20

i have tried lactulose and movicol. yes i drink a lot of water, and many tablespoons of olive oil too.
i used to have soft stools, nothing in the diet has changed. which is why im confused. i feel like my body is immune to anything i try these days to help me.
Deleted User 4536

Postby msimon » 08 Sep 2015, 22:26

Did the soft stools end with the fissure starting? Do you feel like you are emptying? Have you tried magnesium? Have you tried stool softeners split across 2 times/day?
msimon

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 08 Sep 2015, 22:31

Did the soft stools end with the fissure starting? i can't remember what my stools were like before my fissure. although my diet was pretty bad. as soon as i got the fissure, i stopped all the junk, added fibre water etc. the stools were soft as long as i kept to the diet. however this year i've been strict with my diet and the first part of the stool is hard.
Do you feel like you are emptying? yes
Have you tried magnesium? no. is milk of magnesia the same thing?
Have you tried stool softeners split across 2 times/day? yes for many months, didn't work.
Deleted User 4536

Postby msimon » 09 Sep 2015, 02:27

milk of magnesia is a laxative to be taken occasionally. Magnesium is a supplement (like calcium) that can be taken daily. It pulls water into the bowels (the opposite effect of calcium) and is mildly stimulating for some as well. Most people are deficient in it anyway so it doesn't hurt to take it. Like vitamin c, you take it to bowel tolerance.

Have you had a scope of your bowel done? I wonder what bought about this change for you...
msimon

Postby hayleyw » 09 Sep 2015, 10:35

Diet alone probably isn't enough to keep you sufficiently soft. Lactulose doesn't help me either, just gives me wind. Movicol did make my poop softer but it gave me stomach ache. I now take Laxido. It's similar to Movicol but doesn't make me feel sick or crampy. I take one satchet a day along with a bowl of branflakes. Ask your doctor to give you another type of laxative. There are alternatives to movicol. Take in fibre everyday but don't overdo it as it can lead to further hard stools if you have too much. Also try and do some exercise in your free time. Walking is the best way. Not getting enough exercise can lead to hard stools too.

Always use a lubricant before you have a bowel movement. I use vaseline. Helps the waste slip out more easily while coating your wound and forming a barrier.

It's normal for the first bit to be harder than the rest. That is the stool that has been sitting in the rectum for the longest time, having had chance to get more dried out than the stuff further up. Make sure you use some kind of lubricant, whether it be vaseline, coconut oil or something else and don't force it. Give it time to come by itself.
hayleyw
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby itsjustme » 09 Sep 2015, 21:12

i know it might sound counterproductive but maybe cut down on the veggies and fruits... i have realized that my tummy couldn't handle the roughage... i now only eat cooked veggies and even limit those... trying to stick to easily digestible foods for now... lots of gluten free grains (chewed until its gross) and lots of water... oh yeah and 2 Tbsp of olive oil- highlight of my day... yuk
itsjustme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1