Stool too big

How to make it less bulky?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Stool too big

Postby Alejoboogie » 17 Sep 2015, 12:42

So I'm having a problem with my stool being too big, I know they say it's supposed to be a little bulky to help it pass smoother, but I feel like mine are TOO bulky and it keeps tearing the fissure. There's blood after I go, not as much as before but still blood on the tail end of the stool. I've had fissures before and I don't remember them bleeding this far into having them (almost 4 weeks). They're definitely soft, so that's not the problem. They're just really big, like a sausage. When my fissure first started I remember them being rather small and not hurting so much after went to the bathroom. Now since they've been bigger it hurts a lot when I go and has caused spasms which I've never experienced before.What kind of foods should I be eating to keep them smaller and softer? I was taking metamucil but that definitely makes it too big. I'm currently taking miralax after using colace for some time, but I feel like colace isn't doing a job anymore.

The spasms are what's killing me the most. If I try to do any kind of exercise after going to the bathroom, they come back with a vengeance and I'm back to writhing in pain. If anyone can help me out that would be great :)

Also, has anyone had an experience with sitz baths not helping spasms at all? Whenever I get them I try and take a sitz bath but i still feel it burning like crazy.
Alejoboogie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Stool too big

Postby Savaici » 17 Sep 2015, 13:34

Sounds like you might be overdoing your fibre intake. Read this, and especially the bottom of the page where it gives how much, for you age and sex, you should be eating. I am very careful as to how much fibre I eat, and the type.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes ... t-20043983
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Savaici » 17 Sep 2015, 13:36

:sunny: Sitz did not work for me at first; now it's my greatest friend...so to speak
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Alejoboogie » 17 Sep 2015, 14:27

So too much fiber is going to make it bulky? Cuz I feel like in the past I would almost go overboard with fiber and if anything it made it really runny, not diarrhea but just really soft and not really much solid form. Which I also think helped it heal faster. But when I tried it recently it hasn't done the same, Unless I'm just not eating the same foods I did in the past, I don't remember everything I ate to get that effect.

Also if It's bleeding everytime now is that necessarily meaning it's reopening? Because I just feel like there's not as much blood as there was the first few times it bled. Like it would cover the wipe with a lot of blood. Now it's kinda just one wipe and that's all, not too much.
Alejoboogie
Fibre Addict

Postby Daisy Mac » 18 Sep 2015, 11:30

I think it depends a lot on what type of fiber you're eating as well. I found when I was eating a lot of bran cereal, all bran bars, Metamucil, etc, that made things worse, so I cut back on that stuff and started eating more fruit and berries instead (blueberries, mangoes, nectarines, etc.) and that helped a lot. For me it took a lot of trial and error to figure out which diet worked best.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Alejoboogie » 18 Sep 2015, 12:50

Hey Daisy,
Yea I know there's a big difference between soluble and insoluble in terms of what they do to your stool. But it's weird cuz I remember when I first experienced fissures I was eating a bunch of raisin bran, whole wheat bread and fiber bars. That made my stool so soft and almost too soft ya know? But it helped. This time around I feel it's different. I've actually been trying more fruits and vegetables with mixed results. I also remember though that before I would normally have at least 2 BMs in a day (probably cuz the overload of fiber). And I think that helps keep the stools small, because if you only go once in the morning like I do, and then wait till the next day, all that food you ate will just be accumulating into one big stool. But who knows haha.

I actually went this morning and they were smaller than they have been recently, hooray! haha and I also figured out that when I lean forward with my feet up it hurts tremendously coming out, but when I kept my back upright and straight it only hurt slightly. I think it has to do with the placement of the fissure as there was like barely a drop of blood this time around as opposed to a lot :).

Thank for the reply, this forum has been so helpful since I've been suffering with this :D
Alejoboogie
Fibre Addict

Postby Daisy Mac » 18 Sep 2015, 13:17

I found some veggies are better than others. I eat them steamed because raw veggies don't seem to help very much. My staple has been steamed cauliflower and broccoli. Glad it wasn't so bad this morning!
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Postby Alejoboogie » 18 Sep 2015, 16:45

Yea I think steamed is the way to go. Cooking vegetables is actually how you get the most nutrients out of them, especially the fiber. Broccoli is my weapon of choice too, and also I added sweet potato yesterday and it seemed to be ok.
Alejoboogie
Fibre Addict

Postby jay1975 » 20 Sep 2015, 19:04

Hey Alejoboogie,

I have the exact same problem. My BM's are always very large, and at least a few times a week I'll overflow the toilet and need to use a plunger.
jay1975
Salt Bather

Postby Alejoboogie » 20 Sep 2015, 19:11

Hey Jay,
Yea it's definitely a problem that needs to go away in order for healing to begin. I've actually got mine to be smaller for the past couple of days. I stopped taking Metamucil and started taking miralax (as suggested by many people on here). I think that may have something to do with it. I've also started getting most of my fiber from fruits and vegetables as opposed to whole grains and nuts and all that. I really think that's helped me as I still have some pain when going but it's real brief. Like today I went and there was just a quick little sting and then nothing. Even after i was done there was no pain all day. Usually it stings every time i sit for too long. So maybe this is a good sign that it's healing :).

Hope you can fix those large stools too as i really think that was holding me back.
Alejoboogie
Fibre Addict