Intro

Question about nifedipine/exercise

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Intro

Postby Kari-bee » 06 Oct 2015, 11:11

Hi Folks,

Very glad to find this resource and thanks to the hosts.

This is my second experience with anal fissure. The first was when I was about 30 and it lasted a few months but finally resolved. At that time, I believe I was treated with a glycerin suppository.

Last week I had surgery, and experienced post surgery constipation. Now I am back in anal fissure hell. This time it seems much worse than last, but perhaps I have just forgotten.

Saw Proctologist yesterday. Since I had a colonoscopy when I was 50 she reviewed that and said I have scar tissue from the old fissure and a very narrow anal canal. She prescribed nifedipine ointment, which I started using last night. I thought it would start working a little faster to reduce/eliminate the muscle spasms, but so far it does not seem like it's changed much. If you have taken this medicine and it helped, how long did it take to see the benefit?

Because of the spasms, it seems I can only get a small amount of stool out each time (I call them Barbie poos). This means I go to the bathroom again and again as my body keeps signaling me that I'm not done.

My other question is about exercise. Typically I like to stay fit and work out. But, I am recovering from surgery and cannot do a proper workout. I can only walk about a block. Do you find walking to be very helpful?

I am also doing the usual stuff - sitz baths, no tp, healthy diet, high fiber including benefiber.

Thanks again.
Karen/Kari-bee
Kari-bee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Intro

Postby Savaici » 07 Oct 2015, 06:34

:wel: to the forum. Notice that you did not mention water, but you probably know you need to drink lots of that.

I am very strict about my diet (sadly, as would much rather be able to eat as I did before) and take just the right amount of fibre for the amount of food that I eat, eat one Metamucil 'cookie', have three different veggies (I don't eat meat) for my main meal, and a very small supper. I take a small amount of Milk of Magnesia each evening.

Nifedipine you need to use for at least eight weeks to see if it heals you. It does not need to be put inside, just on the surface as it's absorbed by the bloodstream. For stenosis, I used dilation, as you can see from my signature. It was not pleasant, but it worked for me.

:smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Kari-bee » 07 Oct 2015, 12:17

Thank you SavaIci. Wow, you have been through a lot. I'm glad you're doing better. Just to clarify, the dietary restrictions you mention are all about keeping your stool soft/manageable, right? Or, are there other issues, like acidity?

I am drinking lots of water. Have been vegetarian most of my life, eat minimal animal products. My stools have always been on the softer side, so I don't think I will have trouble with that part. I just had one episode of constipation post surgery and that did me in. I just don't know how this thing is going to heal if I am "going" several times per day. I tend to catch a break in the afternoon, but am literally tied to the bathroom all morning long. Thank goodness I'm on leave from work right now.

Thanks again for responding.
Karen
Kari-bee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby Canadabum » 19 Oct 2015, 11:51

Hi there...just wanted to quickly chime in that it takes some time for the creams to kick in for some of us...it took about 6-7 weeks of me using nitroglycerin for my pain to start to really subside...then i switched to diltiazem (which i used for a while but really didnt like) and finally ended up with niphedipine...which has been the best for me.

Try to be patient with this -- it takes time and the progress is slow on a day to day basis.

I found walking very helpful -- for 2 reasons. (1) it stimulates blood flow down there and that is what we all need to heal...i also took up swimming in a warm salt water pool...i think this has also helped (2) when i walk(ed) it was a time for me to clear my head and feel like i was taking control of my healing process. it is a great stress relief and will give you an opportunity to hopefully forget about the fissure for 10-20 mins while you concentrate on the trees, sidewalk or anything else in your field of view.

All best,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Savaici » 20 Oct 2015, 19:33

Hope it's all going well for you, kari-bee. And yes, it's all about keeping your stools soft (the way that I eat and drink). I dont ever think about acidity, I must confess. I am also 'bound' to the toilet with IBS. What a pain it is. I used to be a once a day person, but that has changed to a who-knows-how-many-times-a-day person. I don't go out to work, so that at least is something, but neither do I want to be far from home which is very irritating. But, there you are.

I have been a vegetarian for many years too, though I do try to have fish from time to time as I am not good at eating beans and that...

Surgery and constipation go hand in hand for a lot of people. Me being one of them and I have had some bad times with that. If you have surgery again some time, always bear that in mind!

Anyway, we're here for you! :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222