Too much fiber?

Is having 8-10 per day normal with AF?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Too much fiber?

Postby Kari-bee » 14 Oct 2015, 19:31

I am 2 weeks post-op (hysterectomy) and dealing with an anal fissure. The nifedipine seems to have helped the muscle spasms, I'm not having them anymore. However, I am voiding many times per day, each time just a small amount, instead of 1-2 larger movements which would be more typical for me. I am trying to figure out if this may be due to the surgery (doc said my intestines could shift lower) or if it's just normal for those suffering with AF.

I seem to be doing well with the fiber and have achieved the desired consistency of stool, so I don't think that is the issue. Unless too much fiber can make you go so much?

Thanks,
Karen
Kari-bee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Too much fiber?

Postby Savaici » 15 Oct 2015, 09:11

Yes, too much fibre can make you have larger BMs and go to the toilet more often. Check out how much you need, which is usually about 25g for a woman per day. Lots on here about fibre/fiber. Use our search - the one under the photo, so that you can search by topic.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Daisy Mac » 16 Oct 2015, 10:50

Could be too much fiber. The fissure itself won't cause you to go more often, unless the fear or pain is causing things to clamp up before you've finished. When I first started treatment I was eating all the fiber I could and things were getting worse, and when I added up the grams of fiber I was consuming, it turned out to be way over the recommended daily intake, so maybe take one day and add it up to see if it's too much. Maybe you should experiment with different sources of fiber also. Fruits and steamed veggies work better for me than fiber supplements and All Bran and things like that.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Kari-bee » 16 Oct 2015, 16:37

Thanks! I stopped the benefiber but am continuing to eat fiber rich foods. I have definitely noticed a change for the better.
Kari-bee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8