My problem is not dehydration or diet...

regarding anal fissures

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My problem is not dehydration or diet...

Postby Doggyvonne » 23 Nov 2015, 09:16

I have had recurring anal fissures for years and apparently IBS but this attack came after antibiotic liquid with sorbitol horrid stuff but I cant swallow capsules too well. I could write a novel about fissures but what baffles me is why I have them and also why any fluid i drink goes straight to my bladder and not my bowel despite taking water absorbing foods and fybogel. whenever i get fissures i cant stay away from a loo because of my bladder and though i drink loads of water my motions still arrive fairly solid and unsoft. They are like hardening papier mache sometimes and the constriction of my sphincter around leftovers makes knife like shards which cut me again. This happens more in October to December than any other time and less in hot weather so unlikely to be dehydration. I am on Rectogesic with GTN and epsom salt sitz baths. Not getting much sleep but it isnt the pain it is a kind of strange wakefulness that afflicts me when i have fissures and anxiety though i have never been so happy. Whenever i have shards in my rectum i get persistent throat clearing, mucus and aches in my neck too with some swallowing troubles and losing my voice. I have had a diagnosis of reflux but my symptoms dont improve with PPIs - I even thought the PPI tablets might cause my fissures! Life is one round of horrid symptoms. Despite all i feel blessed as i now live by the coast in lovely place and now retired so no reason, other than this affliction, to be unhappy.
Doggyvonne
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: My problem is not dehydration or diet...

Postby suzyljank » 23 Nov 2015, 11:11

Hi if your bladder is affected with your fissure you might have PFD. Pelvic floor dysfunction involves all the muscles in the pelvic area. Your fissure can cause pain but it can show up as an urgency to urinate or burning sensation instead of anal pain. Have your tried taking miralax. This draws water into the colon to help you have softer bms. I took can't swallow pills so I use liquid or chewable antibiotic. Just a note of caution artificial sweeteners are a bladder irritant.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Doggyvonne » 23 Nov 2015, 12:01

I forgot to mention that I use Laxido sometimes which is possibly same as the potion you mentioned (i live in UK). The point is that all fluid i drink is going to my bladder and not to my bowel. You can feel urge to go pee and do nothing yes but I am peeing all of my intake which is why my bms are so impacted . Yes sorbitol is bad news but my doctor or my pharmacist didnt seem concerned. The penicillin medicine as a liquid with Sorbitol was vile and i think it burned in my colon. This resulted in a sudden uncharacteristic explosive whoosh of liquid from my bowel on last day of medicine (2 weeks) causing more fissures. I had about a year since i had them last. Had fissures now for 2 weeks and the achey neck/throat and stiff soreness across bikini line. You mention PFD and that would not surprise me as i have had two old fashioned cesareans (up and down). Thing is that PFD doesnt come and go does it but these fissures do. ABs definitely set it off but other things must also do so because I have had this before when no ABs been taken. I have had a celiac test which was negative. It is confusing because often the diet and regime recommended for bowel fissures is in conflict with that of the regime for reflux!
Doggyvonne
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 23 Nov 2015, 12:17

Pelvic floor issues can come and go. If you're under stress it can exacerbate it. I don't think more fluids are going to your bladder. Just because you have an urgency to go doesn't mean you actually have to. You can have something as simple as a bladder infection to Interstitial Cystitis. You really need to have things checked out. Learn the things that can irritate the bladder and try to avoid them. I know when I have any irritation near my surgical site it will cause me to feel like I have to urinate more. That's kind of how I know my behind is irritated in the first place. It's like a referred pain. Do you have any type of anal stenosis, that can make it more difficult to have a bm and just plain stressing out causes you to tighten muscles everywhere and that can cause difficulty in going. I also have reflux, really bad. I've had it for years. It's sent me to the hospital 2 times because my esophagus spasmed and it felt like a heart attack. I take prevacid and pepcid and sometimes they help and sometimes they don't but they tend to cause diarrhea not constipation. Hope you figure out what's going on and find something that helps.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Doggyvonne » 24 Nov 2015, 03:54

Suzy yes i had that throat spasm too and once in an ambulance to far flung A & E. My anal are area is very very tight yes. I dont have cystitis though no problem or pain in urinating and whenever i go is almost always full. I had a scan showed my bladder empties slowly and my stomach also so not surprising that bowel is same although i go sometimes several times a day it is in many painful sessions. It is as if my muscles just dont get the message like a breaking up radio signal. I didnt know PFD could come and go I thought it was a collapse issue inside? I do everything i can..this morning i took a concoction of turmeric, manuka honey, yoghurt, apple and olive oil. All natural things are better than commercial drugs. Odd though it may seem if i sit around and dont do much things work better -the more i move the more my IBS plays up. I say IBS but after the Anti Biotics for a nasal infection I think it became more IBD and then the fissures. When i mention this to friends who dont have it they say 'oh sore bottom then'..nobody understands till they get fissures how agonising it is. I have got braver over the years. After reading on here that elephant dump so easy and relaxed I try to imagine an elephant dumping when i go now..LOL..you know what it helps!
Doggyvonne
Fibre Addict