New to forum, hoping for some advice

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postby Jo0sHy » 12 Jan 2016, 18:42

First of all I just like to say how happy I am to have found this forum. It has been so helpful reading your stories and experiences to know I am not alone. I have already learnt so much so thanks to each and every one of you.

I'm 23 yr old male been dealing with painful BM and bleeding on and off for about 2-3yrs. Got diagnosed with AF last year but did nothing about it as it seemed to go away on its own however it would always come back.

With pain and discomfort of my spasms having increased recently. I
decided I would get it sorted out as part of new year resolution. I saw a GP last week who confirmed fissure and hemorrhoids and gave me a referral to see a surgeon. I have booked an appointment with him but he was not available until March (month and a half away)

After reading the forum I now understand that lifestyle change is the best defence against AF. My diet is poor with a focus on meat (High protein diet as I often go to the gym) and very little in fruit or other fibre sources. This is something I intend to work on before I meet with the surgeon. I am also applying rectogesic 3 times per day (though I am skeptical it is working).

I wanted to seek your opinions on what I should discuss with the surgeon in a months time and whether I should consider surgery at this stage.

Two other concerns I have regarding my condition at the moment:

I have frequent BM up to twice a day (I am trying to limit to once a day after seeing some advice on the forum). Often the first BM will be difficult to pass with a second one later in the day being soft and sometimes diaroeah like. I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else and if it is a common issue.

Lastly, I have also recently been getting a pus like mucus discharge coming from my anus. Any ideas what this could mean and has anyone experienced similar issues?
Jo0sHy

Topics: 1

Re: New to forum, hoping for some advice

Postby Manitourose » 14 Jan 2016, 14:22

Welcome Jo0shy.

Glad you have found us here! It's great that you are learning a lot on here, but do remember it is thoughts from others and not to be used as medical advice. That said, it's very good you are thinking about your diet and adding in more veggies and fruit. Do be sure to slowly add your fiber into your diet as it can change your BMs and digestion at 1st. Also be sure to be drinking lots of water as you body needs this in general but particularly when you add fiber.

Several BMs in a day isn't particularly unusual if they are normal and not accompanied by other issues. I also struggled with difficult BMs and then softer or diarrhea BMs later in the day. Adding fiber but particularly something like metamucil helped.

As for the pus like mucus discharge,there can be many reasons it occurs, such as hemorrhoids, fistula, infection, IBS or IBD issues. However, definitely mention it to your doctor. They are great at narrowing down the cause.

Have you considered seeing or are you able to get a referral to a gastroenterologist? Most colorectal surgeons can only treat what ends up occurring due to our digestive system and BM issues. Though many can offer some advice. But a gastro doctor can really help you narrow down things so your bowel movements are easier. I honestly wish I had seen a gastro doctor many years ago along with the colorectal doctor. It would have eliminated several years of difficult bowel issues.
Welcome again and let us know how things go! :wel:
Manitourose

Topics: 14