My Fissure-- Treatment Help

Fissure treatment

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My Fissure-- Treatment Help

Postby Megan8 » 09 Feb 2016, 14:51

Hi!
I am new to the forum, I have been suffering with an anal fissure for about 2 1/2 months and I have tried hydrocortisone cream and suppositories, coconut oil homemade suppositories, regular warm water and coconut oil sitz baths 2-3 times a day, I am now using Nifedipine ointment prescribed by a colorectal surgeon. Some days are better than others in terms of pain but I have excruciating pain everyday at some point during the day, sitting down is so uncomfortable so I've been having to stand the majority of the day at work. I am scheduled to see a second colorectal surgeon in 2 weeks that does LIS, my current Doctor only does dilation.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what helped ease the pain for them or what treatment suggestions any of you may have! :)
Megan8

Topics: 1

Re: My Fissure-- Treatment Help

Postby Megan8 » 09 Feb 2016, 14:54

Also, does anyone have advice on working out with a fissure? I am a Pilates teacher and I lift weights and also do cardio but I have found cardio irritates the pain and Pilates and weights I can still do to some extent. Any advice on that as well?
Megan8

Postby Canadabum » 09 Feb 2016, 18:15

Megan8 -

:wel:

So sorry you needed to find us...but good that you are here. Its a great place for advice and feedback.

In terms of pain management there are a few tricks I used...but sadly none of them removed the pain, just made it more bearable. Here is what i did:

-Sit on heat as often as you can...heating pad at work, heated car seats....etc
-Also use cold....I found when pain was really really bad sitting on cold (soft cold pack in towel) for 15mins at a time really helped
-Standing (you are doing that)....I bought a stand up desk for work
-Ibuprofen....take as needed. Perhaps try taking before your BM if you can time it
-Baths, sitz baths as often as possible
-Swimming....was the only exercise that made me feel good
-Fissure cream 3x a day....you are using, good!
-TRY to ignore it....the more i focused on the pain the more it hurt....this is super hard to do. Try using a mantra or something to distract yourself.
-I read a book called "You are not your Pain" written by two people who suffered serious injury and live with serious pain...it helped me reconsider my "relationship" with my pain
-This is the best and the worst....TIME. Over the course of time my pain dissipated....it took many months for me but it happened. It was not measured in days -- rather in weeks and months. I would recommend keeping a pain / food journal so that you can track your progress, feelings, food...it will help you evaluate where you are at.

I hope some of this is helpful.

All the best on your road to recovery.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Megan8 » 09 Feb 2016, 18:17

Thank you so much! All great advice I will make sure to implement :)
Megan8