Exercise and travel after LIS

Exercise travel after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Exercise and travel after LIS

Postby caf1988 » 10 Apr 2016, 19:05

Hello
I am an upper 20s women with a car that did not respond to a year of conservative treatments scheduled for LIS on Wednesday.
I think I've had the fissure for longer than I know as I always strained during BMs but didn't think much of it until my diet change while living in Asia caused me to be severely constipated and made the fissure painful and chronic.
Anyways I'm scheduled for the procedure Wednesday. I have no existing issues and it's my first surgery. My doctor said the recovery is 1 week but not to "jump on a plane" for a month. I plan to go back abroad to Asia in June. I also exercise a lot. I do 45 mins of elliptical followed by rowing and lifting maybe 15kg for arms, squatting 20kg, leg press 40kg, and crunches. I have the body type where I need to workout to keep the weight off and maintain tone. If I don't I will get cellulite and flabby. I care about my body and appearance.

Questions -

1. When can I work out again after surgery? Can I do a modified version of my current workout that still targets upper and lower body?

2. When can I "jump on a plane" after LIS? Although the fissure is painful and causes spasms, if LIS is going to make things worse, I just won't get it.

Please any advice. I want out of fissure hell but also don't want to open a new hell portal.
caf1988
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Exercise and travel after LIS

Postby Savaici » 12 Apr 2016, 14:14

I think you need to listen to your own body after surgery. Believe me, you want to give yourself the time needed to recover. Use our search (between FAQ and Portal under the pic) and do a topic search for "exercise" to see what others have done and good luck with your surgery. :smilyhug:

:wel: to our Forum!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Wolfsburg » 13 Apr 2016, 13:32

It all depends on how the surgery goes. Some people on here continue to feel pain after LIS, I had LIS less then a week ago and I'm 100% pain free and already lifting weights and running, although I'm not pushing myself too hard as I don't want to do any damage to the new surgical wound.
Wolfsburg

Topics: 1

Postby FissureFighter80 » 15 Apr 2016, 16:14

caf1988,

I have had LIS surgery about 2 weeks ago and dont feel 100% confident walking for more than 5 mins. If I were you I would take it easy on exercise as you dont want to strain the wound.

As Wolfsburg says listen to your body and hope you get well soon :)
FissureFighter80
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby caf1988 » 18 Apr 2016, 19:07

Really? If it is that long of a recovery or that much pain then I might just not get it. I have to get back to work after 3 weeks and it will involve walking and traveling as I travel for work, so I might need to wait.
caf1988
Salt Bather

Postby Skiponzo » 19 Apr 2016, 14:06

I had my LIS on 23 March 2016 and was on a plane headed across the country 9 days later. CRS told me she recommends 1 week of no flying. I was mostly worried about sitting for 5 hours and how the disruption to my routine would affect BMs. No issue with plane (in fact virtually no pain at all once procedure pain died down...about 2 days....of course that's comparing to the fissure pain which as we all know can be incredibly painful so my perspective on pain has changed). Had some slight issues with inconsistent BMs for a couple of days after travel but nothing horrible. Anyway, I also agree about the listening to your body but with my experience 3 weeks should be enough time to resume most of your normal activities.

LIS was the best thing I could have done and I am VERY happy with the current results. It's a personal decision but one I would encourage you to pursue.
Skiponzo
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby caf1988 » 13 May 2016, 16:19

i hate to say, but its been almost a month and I really wish I did not do the surgery. Nothing has changed or healed. The only difference is that my stool are now huge and I have to rush to the bathroom in the morning or it will start coming out. Can I reverse this procedure? the fissures retear all the time just like before, same monthly tear/ heal cycle, except now I possibly can't hold in my movements for the rest of my life. I'm just under 30, so that's just swell.
caf1988
Salt Bather