Fissurectomy WITHOUT LIS?

surgery q

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissurectomy WITHOUT LIS?

Postby chiaseed » 21 Mar 2016, 22:45

Hi folks,

I have a fissure that just won't freakin' heal. I'm at the point where I'm planning on pursuing surgery. I definitely want a fissurectomy, but I'm not convinced about LIS. The risk of fecal leakage really freaks me out. Do they ever just do a fissurectomy? Maybe with botox?

Curious to hear anyone else's experience...

Thanks!
chiaseed
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Fissurectomy WITHOUT LIS?

Postby Manitourose » 22 Mar 2016, 08:48

Hi chiaseed -
How long have you been dealing with this? I'm so sorry you are in our club! :-(

The positive is that there is a lot of good information on here. You can also use the search area (very top of the page right side) to look up those who have considered or had a fissurectomy.

Someone will be definitely be along shortly who can pipe in more from experience.

Hang in there!
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby FissureFL » 12 Apr 2016, 19:17

Hello chiaseed,

Almost one year ago I had a fissurectomy, botox, and skin tag removal with no LIS. In fact, my doctor told me that she did not prefer to do the LIS procedure, especially on women, and informed me that LIS would be an option if the fissurectomy alone did not solve the problem. I know that the general consensus on this forum is that LIS is the gold standard these days and that some doctors feel a fissurectomy is outdated, etc but I went ahead and trusted my doctor, asked her a lot of questions (her success rate with fissurectomies, how many she's done, recurrence of fissure after surgery, etc) and went ahead with the procedure. The pain after surgery was NOTHING compared to the fissure. It felt more like someone had kicked me in the tush. I would say I was fully healed and back to "normal" after about six weeks.

It's been almost a year and I regret not having had the surgery earlier. Besides keeping up with a fiber regime (konsyl), I am completely back to normal. I have no pain with BMs, I eat healthfully overall but I no longer fret over my diet. I have hamburgers, pizza, chips, whatever I want! My quality of life was restored 100%!!

Find a doctor you trust, discuss your options, ask lots of questions. Good luck. I hope you find healing soon!!
FissureFL
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby chiaseed » 12 Apr 2016, 23:32

Thanks so much for your reply!
chiaseed
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby FissureFL » 13 Apr 2016, 10:03

You're welcome!