Just out of hospital

My first surgery

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Just out of hospital

Postby Newtothis » 17 May 2016, 11:40

Hi all,

I am totally new to this forum but have been reading people's diaries during the past few weeks. In short, I have suffered from fissures since about 3-4 years ago. Very rarely back then, but as time goes by one fissure has shown up with a gradually higher frequency. Recently, it would hurt about 1 week out of 4. I am a very fit 23 year old man and have seen a colorectal surgeon last month. He suggested to perform a surgery on it as the main fissure had become swollen and a sentinel tag had been formed.

Last week I had a colonoscopy to determine if there was any underlying cause but all looked fine.

I have been discharged from hospital over little less than two hours ago. I have had today a fissurectomy and botox injection. The diagnosis and treatment are described on the papers as ''Haemorrhoidectomy and Botox Fissurectomy''. The surgeon, very friendly and knowledgeable one, mentioned to me that he had removed the senital tag, removed the main fissure and also a smaller fissure/haemorrhoid (they keep confusing me a bit the terminology but everything that could hurt me at this point has been removed).

After the surgery (full anaesthetic) I had no pain... I have some bondage in my bum which I will remove shortly. I have been prescribed paracetamol and ibuprofen to take for the coming two weeks, and also morphine tablets to take four times a day. I was given lidocaine to put on the area and also lactulose solution to soften the stool. I was also given antibiotics for the first five days.

I am having some food now and gradually I notice that the area is becoming more sensitive... I will now take my first dose of paracetamol and ibuprofen and will start with the morphine either tonight or tomorrow morning as needed.

Has anyone here got experience with this and with the medication provided? Any advice? I have read quite some useful information on this forum but I guess each situation is different. I am staying home and will be working remotely in the coming two weeks (no work tomorrow).

I will keep you all posted on my road to recovery.
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Just out of hospital

Postby thedude » 23 May 2016, 15:04

Hi newtothis,

Just curious how you are doing and how recovery is going?
thedude
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Newtothis » 24 May 2016, 14:03

Hi thedude,

Recovery is going slow but now 7 days past op I am becoming slightly optimistic. The past three days were obviously easier than the first four. BMs often do hurt a lot and I can't jump in the bath quick enough. I've got to lay flat on the bed for about half an hour afterwards for the pain to settle. I've taken morphine twice but that was during the first four days. I am now just paracetamol and ibuprofen. Leakage problems differ on a day to day basis but are "manageable".

Today has been a relatively good day in comparison to the other ones, however the wound itself is bleeding more and given an extremely burning feeling. I guess this is granulation tissue and another stage of wound healing?

I'm taking lactulose but find it difficult to measure. It's also challenging to get grip of my stool.

I really hope that in the coming 7 days things will settle even more and I hope that the worst is in the past. I had a little trip to friends scheduled for tomorrow (2 hrs flight). I didn't know how tough the recovery would be so I cancelled it today.
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Postby thedude » 24 May 2016, 14:37

Thanks for the update.

I hope it keeps getting better for you from here on out and hopefully this is the final solution for you.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby Newtothis » 26 May 2016, 09:59

Got some sort of diarrhoea today. Yellowish, haven't got any stomach pain or cramps. Not sure what has caused it but a bit scared this may impact healing... Any thoughts?
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Postby thedude » 26 May 2016, 12:01

Any changes in your diet?

I know you do want to avoid diarrhea, but I think as long as it doesn't last for more than a couple BM's you'll probably be ok. I think there would be an attempt on your part to try to keep your sphincter relaxed while going. If it keeps up, I would give your Doctor a call and see what they say.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby Newtothis » 27 May 2016, 10:58

Over the past few days. As my wound heals, I have developed two red bumps in the wound. They are red and look swollen, right in the middle. They do sting a bit but not extremely much. They look like clean and healthy tissue, just red and bumpy. I've read this is normal but have only been able to find limited info on this. Any thoughts?
Newtothis
Fibre Addict