Self dilation - Progress

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Self dilation - Progress

Postby LostForWords » 23 Jun 2016, 04:43

Hello fellow sufferes.

I will be trying self dilation shortly, as a last resort to avoid surgery.

I have been dealing with multiple (4-5) chronic anal fissures for about 3 years now. I actually had a few months symptom free 2 years ago but since then it has been a daily struggle. Ranging from minor discomfort while having a BM only to severe pain.

I have a feeling that I have developed Anal stenosis, because even soft and not that large stools are difficult to pass and I always feel tight down there. I haven't seen a doctor for this in a long time but will be doing so on the 12 of July in order to hear him out and maybe go for the LIS surgery but I want to try this out first.

I have ordered the Dilatan dilators, 18,20,23,27 mm and some KY jelly and some Dilatan creme so that I can switch products if I dislike one of them. I will also be getting some Diltiazem creme shortly. I've already done a 6 weeks course of Diltiazem before with minor relief and no side effects. My plan is to use the Diltiazem before using the dilators in order to make the process of insertion easier.
I really don't know if I'll be able to use 18 mm as I'm extremely tight but if not, then I'll buy some smaller ones and start where ever I can.

This thread will be updated from time to time with my progress and experiences with self dilation, in order to keep any progress in check for my own use and so that anyone else considering doing this will be able to benifit from my experience.

I should recieve the dilators within a week or so and will be starting as soon as possible. Fingers crossed that this will be what I need. Any advice on self dilation are always appreciated.
Last edited by LostForWords on 24 Jun 2016, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
LostForWords
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: Self dilation - Progress

Postby Fissurefrustration » 23 Jun 2016, 10:45

Good luck and keep us posted. Positive thoughts coming your way

Ff
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby Mypoorbutt » 23 Jun 2016, 12:56

Hi lost,
I'm considering dilation but cannot find anywhere to buy them, I am in the UK where did you get yours from and how much were they if you don't mind me asking.
Really hope this works for you I have been put on the waiting list for LIS in the winter as my fissure is long and deep I have had Botox first to try and achieve some healing first.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby LostForWords » 24 Jun 2016, 01:34

Thanks FF. I will make sure to keep you all updated.

MPB:

I'm from Europe too and finding them (or a similar product) weren't easy but after a long google search I did find an italian pharmacy that provides world wide shipping.

http://www.epharmacy.it/catalogsearch/result/?q=dilatan

They seem legit but as this is my first order with them, I'll update once they arrive so that you won't run the risk of getting scammed.
LostForWords
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 24 Jun 2016, 05:02

Thanx so much lost,
Really appreciate that, yes if you could update once you get them that would be great
Thanx again
Mypoorbutt

Postby LostForWords » 29 Jun 2016, 12:10

Day 1:

I just recieved my dilators (MPB, the aforementioned pharmacy is legit). My first thought when I opened the package was "well, more money down the fissure trash can". There was just no way that I would be able to insert even the smallest 18 mm one, going by my previous experience with my pinky (15 mm). Thankfully, I couldn't have been more wrong.

I started out with a sitz bath in order to relax my sphincter. I put the dilator into some pre-boiled water for 15 minuts that had been allowed to cool down to 50 degress celsius and then applied the Dilatan creme to both my anus and the dilator.

I started out on all fours with my head to the floor which turned out to be a bad idea. After 3 atempts to insert it, all I got was a minor stinging feeling from one of my fissure sites (I have 4 or 5 of these babys) and got 0,5 cm in with no way of going any further. I was discouraged but decided to make one last attempt, while being on my side with one leg slightly raised in the air. Again, a minor sting was apparant but this time, the dilator went in. I pushed it in very slowly while trying my best to relax. Once it was in, it didn't feel that bad at all. Nothing compared to what I had imagined anyways.

As I was pushing it in, thinking that I was probably a few cm in, I suddenly realised that I had reached the base of the dilator. WTF! The dilator was now 10 cm or so into my rectum and it had been going swimmingly once I was past the external sphincter. No spasms or anything. The best I had ever gotten before was 3 cm at best with my pinky so this was unreal to me. I tried to relax which was somewhat hard but did achieve to have it in fully for about 3 minuts.

Taking it out went fine too, until I reached the point where the dilator started to get smaller (the tip), once that happened, a strong spasm occured which made the remaining 3 cms of the dilator pop out of me in a matter of a split second. Thankfully, it didn't hurt and I don't think any harm were done. If any harm was done, it would have been from my insertion attempts while down on all fours.

Afterwards, as I write this, I feel a little wierd down there. Not a bad kind of wierd, just different. My normal baseline is one of chronic tightness, so maybe this weird feeling is actually a good sign. Time will tell as I will be moving forward with this dilation procedure.

More updates will follow.
LostForWords
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 29 Jun 2016, 12:22

Hi lost,
So glad it went well...eventually.
I find laying on my left side is always easier even when I'm only putting cream on. Wow 10cm that is a long way.
I will def be buying some then I'm finding my sphincter is more relaxed since I have had the Botox so I'm wondering whether now would be a good time or should I wait till the Botox has started to wear off?
Really hope it all goes well for you and that the dilation works well.
Mypoorbutt

Postby chiaseed » 30 Nov 2016, 17:46

Dumb question... is the measurement diameter? circumference?
chiaseed
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Savaici » 30 Nov 2016, 22:15

Circumference. These are the ones I used, in the US. Started at 9mm.

http://ssp-inc.com/products/pediatric-p ... -dilators/
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222