Another fissure years after Fissurectomy

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Another fissure years after Fissurectomy

Postby Pokey » 17 Jul 2016, 17:19

I had a fissurectomy approximately 2003. It worked great until about a year ago and I started having pain again with BMs. ITs like trying to get a square peg through a round hole. I went to see a CRS and he said about 5% of those folks who have a fissurectomy will get a fissure in their life again. Guess Im one of the 5% as I had another small fissure upon his examination. SO I started the nifedipine and its helped. Also been using Pranicure as I get pruitis with it. 6 weeks after seeing the CRS, his NP said the fissure was looking to be healing, but to stay on the nifedipine for another month which is all well and good, BUT when I have BMs it still feels to damn tight down there and I'm worried once I stop the nifedipine I'll just tear again. Seems to me I have anal stenosis and unless they determine the cause of that and remedy it this will just keep nagging me.

Any folks here who have experienced the same scenraio and if so what did you end up doing about it. Am I looking at another surgery to fix this?? :cry:

Pokey
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Another fissure years after Fissurectomy

Postby Healingthroughdiet » 17 Jul 2016, 22:27

Sorry to hear this . I have been through 2 surgeries each 10 years apart and then recently had a relapse . I just had Botox and am recovering. My details are all in my newbie post and my diary but diet can help a great deal - soluble fiber , olive oil with meals and plenty of water along with miralax help a lot.
Best wishes to you.
Healingthroughdiet
VIP

Topics: 2

Postby Pokey » 18 Jul 2016, 10:35

I eat a pretty good diet. Salads, fruit, high fiber cereal, water and other liquids and colace twice a day. I have used Miralax in the past which I may go back to as I think its what's upsetting my stomach. I'm sorry you've had a relapse after 2 surgeries. That's got to be very frustrating. Thanks for the advice
Pokey
Pokey
Salt Bather

Postby Healingthroughdiet » 18 Jul 2016, 20:19

The miralax has helped me a lot but I had to play around with the right amount. Now I use a combo of colace and miralax and it keeps the BM soft and easy. There are still rough days but overall more good than bad. Yes it is frustrating but I have realized that life brings something bad or the other all the time . I would not wish this pain on anyone but if it had to affect someone in my family , then better me than the kids. Plus all the friends I have made on this fissure forum :)
Last edited by Healingthroughdiet on 19 Jul 2016, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Healingthroughdiet
VIP

Postby Pokey » 19 Jul 2016, 10:09

Is there any indications what causes some of us to keep having this problem or we get it again. I was fine for 12 years but what seems like out of the blue every BM is a struggle to keep from tearing and bleeding again and there's the damn pruitis on top of it. I do my best to eat plenty of fiber, drink water, take colace etc. I have even gone to using a travel bidet to avoid irritation from TP, relax and deep breath when having a BM and still it was difficult this morning and I again had some light bleeding. I don't know to make this go away without considering surgery again.
Pokey
Salt Bather

Postby Healingthroughdiet » 19 Jul 2016, 19:37

For me I wonder if it was my diet - and not drinking enough water. I have changed my diet around - I was always vegetarian but more recently I turned vegan and half fruitarian in the sense for 2 of 3 meals I eat fruit. The pm meal is a little brown rice with some steamed veggie and lentil soup. I also feel I used to consume very little oil - never like butter and cheese and recently had gone on a mission of no oil. Now I still cool light but follow my pm meal with a tsp of olive oil and some in the day too.
So I think for me it's my diet - and bad genes ! My grandmom had this too and I believe my dad at one point :(
Healingthroughdiet
VIP

Postby Pokey » 23 Jul 2016, 10:53

I've been on the nifedipine now since May. It helped a lot right away for about 10 days but now seems like it's having minimal affect. I'm still having difficult BMs even with eating lots of fruit and taking colace. Things remain tight down there. I'm sure once I stop the nifedipine things will likely get tighter. I don't understand why this has come back to haunt me in the first place and I'm not sure what can be done about it other than surgery again ????? Do you think I need further GI evaluation for other possible causes of the stenosis? I feel like if we could find an underlying cause it could be treated and things would resolve. Is this unrealistic?
Pokey
Pokey
Salt Bather

Postby Healingthroughdiet » 23 Jul 2016, 16:29

Glad the nifedipine helps some! That's great. I think it's worth trying to understand the why. But the more I analyze my own self - i think my underlying cause is a combination of stress, hydration and my diet. I wish there were a simply why to fix - but for me personally it seems multifactorial. The worst is that changing personality - calming down more and taking things slower paying attention to little things that make a big difference has been ignored by me. However everyone is different. My friend MPB and I have fissures for different reasons . We were just discussing that the other day. I think it's definitely worth your time trying to get to the deeper why. Maybe discussion with the GI doc or the CRS you have?
Best wishes
HTD
Healingthroughdiet
VIP

Postby Pokey » 23 Jul 2016, 17:50

I've added Miralax to the equation to see if that helps. My doc says I can take that stuff indefinitely. If that "slickens things up" then I'm for it. Having to grit one's teeth every time you have something as natural as a BM sucks!! I'm beginning to wonder if there is a gene mutation for this as I read Siddhartha Murkherjee's book The Gene. Seems like there is a gene for just about everything that exists in life per his excellent book.
Pokey
Pokey
Salt Bather

Postby erbear » 13 Nov 2016, 04:09

Hi Pokey! I just wanted to check in to see how you were doing! I know you were thinking of looking at other resources than miralax, anything worked that you liked? I am considering have the LIS and I see that you had a relapse- any suggestions to this?
erbear
Salt Bather

Topics: 3