What should I do?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What should I do?

Postby umka » 22 Jul 2016, 15:05

It has been 3.5 month since I am suffering from my AF. And unfortunately it is already chronic.
I am 31, male, had an external hemorrhoids removal in March. And after almost a month after the surgery I was constipated and that is how I got my fissure. It is not healing and I regret that I did that operation in March. But luckily I don’t feel much pain as most people on this forum (perhaps for now). Only some minor pain during bm. I can sit normally during the whole day but I can’t live a normal life.

I am using nitroglycerin ointment but it doesn’t help much. I eat mostly vegetables and soups, oatmeal and drink a lot of water. I have lost weight and had to buy smaller clothes because my old is too big for me now.
I don’t know what to do next. It seems that diet itself doesn’t heal me. I would like to try different ointments like diltiazem or nifedipine, but it is not being sold in my country and I don’t know where to buy them online. Do you have any suggestions?

I don’t want to make surgery but it seems that I have no choice. As an alternative I can see Botox. Could somebody, who had experience with it explain more clearly what is this? Will I be able to control my bm or not and for how long? Why it is not as popular as LIS? As I understand it has temporary action and LIS is for the whole life. I will be very happy to hear your thoughts about it.

I contacted two clinics in Germany and asked them about surgery. In one they do scar tissue removal and you can go home. You don’t need to be hospitalized, but must be out of work for 7-10 days. In another they do the same and also make botox injections and you also go home. I was told that they don’t cut the muscle. So it is not LIS (I think). They told me that in Europe they only cut the scar tissue. The muscle is being cut in USA. What do you think of this king of surgery? What should I choose: scar tissue removal or scar tissue removal with Botox or only Botox? What will I be doing at home after an operation without being supervised by medical personal?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice
umka
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: What should I do?

Postby Canadabum » 25 Jul 2016, 15:48

Umka -- let me first say I am sorry to hear you are dealing with all the pain and stress of the fissure.

I did not have botox or surgery so can't comment on those routes -- but I did heal a chronic AF...just took about 20+ months. Was it frustrating, painful, annoying, scream out loud frustrating and many other things -- yes it was. But - I healed. That said -- I have a papilla that causes some annoyance still but am living with it. So my suggestions come from my experience -- I religiously changed my diet to one of lots of liquids, oils, soluble and insoluble fiber, I use Miralax and Magnesium each day, I did use niphedipine for many many months (not sure if this helped really), I sat on a heating pad as much as i could each day, I swam regularly, took sitz baths 2-3x a day....and tried my best to keep a positive mental attitude which was only possible because of the support I received from my wife who kept me going at my low points...so find yourself someone you can lean on when needed.

Those are my suggestions -- I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts.

Good luck and keep us posted.

CB.
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby umka » 25 Jul 2016, 22:35

Thanks for your reply. 20+ months. Doctors say that if the fissure is chronic - it will never heal. But you proved that it is possible.
I've also change my diet. I eat mostly plants. I am so thin already. For how long have you been using Miralax? BM's are very soft (2 per day) but it just keeps bleeding. I don't know how to stop bleeding. (((
umka
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 26 Jul 2016, 06:19

I have been using Miralax for about a year now. i started with a full dose but soon reduced it because I didn't need that much. I now take a small amount (1/4 teaspoon twice a day).

Doctors provide information that is located in books and based on averages etc - we are all different so often times the average does not apply to the individual.

I would highly recommend you try and maintain or put on some weight. Being healthy helps the healing (at least that is my belief). One way I tried to maintain my weight was by eating a lot more oils in my foods...olive oil drizzled on my salads, fish etc. I would bake sweet potatoes in coconut oil and if it did not go with my meal I would simply take a teaspoon or more with each meal.
Canadabum

Postby Canadabum » 26 Jul 2016, 06:23

Are you taking baths or sitz baths?

Are you sitting on heat throughout the day?

Have you tried a barrier cream up there - I used coconut oil?

The bleeding can be very distressing- but it doesn't mean you are not healing. It takes a lot of time.
Canadabum

Postby umka » 26 Jul 2016, 13:18

I have been taking sitz baths for a few times, but not regularly :( I will try to take them regularly. What should be the temperature of water? 39 C?

I am unable to sit on heat throught a day, because at work it is not possible. You told me that you sat on a heating pad as much as you could each day. What king of pad? If I take salt, make it hot on frying pan, put it in a sock and sit on it. Will it be something similar? I think I should try.

I have also got Magnesium Citrate yesterday. I will be taking it. Hope it will help.

I didn't use coconut oil. How did you use it? I have already ordered it online. Will get it in 2 days.

I have been using Nitroglycerin ointment.But I have no idea if it helps.

I didn't take any stool softeners. I just eat mostly vegetables and have lost a lot of weight. I think you are right. I have to put on some weight, just need to find a way how to do it.
umka
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 26 Jul 2016, 13:44

Dont worry about getting the sitz bath to a specific temperature -- make sure it is warm, not too hot to burn you...warm and comfortable.

As for sitting on heat whenever you can -- i used an electric heating pad...you can use a hot water bottle, a sock with warmed up beans...or salt...whatever can be warmed and sat on is great!

Magnesium citrate also helped me

I would take a small amount on my finger and put it on and up my anus before having a bowel movement...helped a bit.

As for the Nitro...just keep using it, it is better than not using.

Finally - as for putting on weight...oils can be really helpful for weight and also helpful for smooth stools.
Canadabum

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion