Severe pain

Anyone else had fissure whilst breastfeeding?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Severe pain

Postby SoreMummy » 21 Nov 2016, 15:26

Hi

This is my first time posting. Have only just found the site. I have been struggling with a fissure since my son was born 5 months ago. Initially managing to keep things under control with optifibre supplement but gradually deteriorated and the last two weeks have been horrendous. Was admitted to hospital as an emergency two weeks ago because of unbelievable pain. Had Botox injection but two weeks later am no better.

My son eats a lot so I drink 4-5 litres per day to keep up. I use optifibre regularly and have now added in lactulose but it just seems to give me bad wind. Still having hard stools at times despite this. Bowels are completely unpredictable and am at my wits end trying to find something that makes motions predictably soft. Today I had a hard stool first thing then two hours later had really loose motion?? I don't know why this is happening. Pain is only controlled lying down so am trying to spend most of my life lying down at present which is very difficult with a 5 month old and 3 year old to look after. The spasms last for at least 4 or 5 hours after a BM and all day if I don't lie down. No painkillers work including local anaesthetic gel and I can't take anything too strong when breastfeeding anyway. Am starting to doubt if I'll ever heal although surgeon who did my Botox said the fissures look acute and he's confident they will heal if I can get motions soft enough. I'm using Diltiazem cream and have been for about 4 weeks but feels like it aggravates things rather than improving. I've also cut back on breastfeeding (which broke my heart) and give formula at bedtime and during the night with BFing only during the day.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Right now can see no light at the end of the tunnel towards getting better. Am desperate to hear from someone who's been in this spiral and been able to get out??!!!
SoreMummy

Topics: 1

Re: Severe pain

Postby 15yearfissure » 21 Nov 2016, 16:49

I've had 5 kids and dealt with my fissure on and off throughout. They told me when you're nursing, your skin down there is more sensitive and fragile, like an old lady, because of hormones. It's horrible! Taking care of my kids at times is miserable with pain and at times helps distract me from the pain. You need tons of water, because of nursing. The only real changes I've seen in BM regularity has been from eating like described in the documentary "forks over knives" on Netflix. But I didn't have time for all that when I had newborns. Oatmeal for breakfast, then fruits and veggies all day. High fiber foods, look up what they are. Coconut oil in that area morning and night and before a BM helps, as do hot size baths right after BM. If yours is acute then with good self care you can beat it! The kids can scream for 5-10 minutes while you do sitz bath. Hopefully you have people you can ask for help too. Naps help my pain decrease. Love to you mama!
15yearfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby SoreMummy » 22 Nov 2016, 03:47

Thank you. I'm already eating a lot of high fibre foods including oatmeal in the morning but have got some more ideas from this site. I tried a bath after BM this morning and it helped while I was in it! Will also invest in some coconut oil. How long do your severe bouts usually last? I've had a few fissures in the past but none as severe as this time (I have 3 at once this time apparently).
SoreMummy

Postby 15yearfissure » 22 Nov 2016, 12:49

Hey! Sounds like you're on the right track. They can take me a few months sometimes, but with babies there is less time for self care so maybe longer! Try your best to be really diligent with diet and self care and know that you can't control what havoc BF hormones wreak, hopefully with time this will all just be a small memory!
15yearfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby SoreMummy » 22 Nov 2016, 16:44

Thanks. I've been researching insoluble and soluble fibre foods today and have lots of new things on my shopping list to try!! Wish me luck!
SoreMummy