1 week post-LIS and worse than ever

Need advice

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

1 week post-LIS and worse than ever

Postby 15yearfissure » 21 Nov 2016, 16:35

Hello and thx to everyone on here for all of the information. It's good to know I'm not the only one suffering in this way.
I've had a chronic anal fissure for 15 years, it gets better and than ripped open again depending on diet, stress, travel. I am now finished having kids (5 vaginal births) and bit the bullet to have this surgery done. The LIS with removal of 3-4 skin tags was a week ago. 4 days after surgery I had a semi-hard BM that took an hour on the toilet and an enema to get out. I was trying not to strain and was mostly successful. But I have been left since then with excruciating pain that sitz baths and Norco are not alleviating. The pain is mostly from the new bunch of grapes (new skin tags or hemorrhoids, not sure what they are) I have since that unfortunate BM. I am completely debilitated by the pain for many hours after each new BM. I can't help at all with my small kids and am really frustrated. Called the surgeon today, he said it's normal and I can take ibuprofen too if I want. Unless I get yellow pus discharge or a fever he will not see me for another week. Any advice or encouragement? This pain is the worst of my life and I am feeling like I'll never recover. Thank you.
15yearfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 1 week post-LIS and worse than ever

Postby Mypoorbutt » 21 Nov 2016, 17:01

No advice Hun, just total empathy. I had my LIS 2 weeks ago and since then the spasms after a BM have been worse than ever...I'm phoning my surgeon tomorrow.
I know how frustrating it is when you thought you were doing so etching to make you better and end up in even worse pain....in my case nearly as bad as the first two weeks if this...even my GTN isn't touching the pain. I'm worried the cut wasn't long enough and I'm more worried that he won't do anything about it.
I guess we just have to keep going as best we can with the painkiller and baths...hoping that eventually this will all get better somehow.
It's so bad when we can't even do things for our children...it's just so unfair.
Hugs hun
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby 15yearfissure » 21 Nov 2016, 22:46

Thx for the reply from
"my poor butt." Just an update from my post earlier this morning. I found that Tylenol did not help, and norco did nothing to help my pain, it just made my hands shaky. Not until the doc agreed to let me have ibuprofen (even though I'm only 1 week post-op) did I feel relief. I was able to stop crying and get out of bed, walk, do some small chores around the house. It was amazing! I finally feel hopeful that I can manage the pain and recover properly. I did notice a slight increase in bleeding but not significant. Hope that helps someone out there.
15yearfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby suzyljank » 23 Nov 2016, 10:04

Hi, are you taking miralax or something to keep your stools soft? That's a must after surgery and maybe beyond. I've had LIS and then bilateral flaps done and did not have tags removed on advice of my CRS. For your surgery to be a success you shouldn't strain when you have a bm. Drink plenty of liquid and try to keep your stools soft it will help a lot. Good luck Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic