Is Rectogesic the same as GTN?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Is Rectogesic the same as GTN?

Postby banjobuddy » 03 Jan 2017, 13:52

When I saw the GP a little while ago, I asked her to prescribe GTN ointment. She gave a prescription for Rectogesic 4mg/g Glyceryl trinitrate. Is this the same. I remember reading on here that with the GTN you put the ointment externally. This one tells you to use a finger stall or clingfilm and put it on internally - not super happy about that, if I'm honest. So I'm wondering if she's given me the wrong thing? Any ideas?
Also, has anyone else used Rectogesic - if so, how well does it seem to work?
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Re: Is Rectogesic the same as GTN?

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Jan 2017, 13:54

Hi yes it's the same...I use rectogesic my consultant writes GTN and that's what I always get...putting it inside means it's absorbed quicker, it's great it's my best friend.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby banjobuddy » 03 Jan 2017, 14:05

I haven't used it yet as I've heard about the headaches and I must admit I've been putting it off, because of that and the fun thought of having to ease a finger up there. My cowardly side is coming out now lol! If you did get headaches, did they eventually lessen or go completely?
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Jan 2017, 14:20

I was first given it when my spasms were at their worst and to be honest nothing could have given me more pain than what I was in. So I don't know if I can comment objectively....yes the GTN made my head pound but only for an hour...the pain was nothing compared to the spasms, but yes it gets a lot easier now after 18 months I get maybe 2 seconds of throbbing in my head then it goes completely.
I think putting a finger up there is actually not a bad thing as it is slightly like dilation and can help.
Trust me it worked for my spasms in like 20 mins took them down from a 10 to a 7. I was advised to start with a peas sized amount as this could lessen the headaches.
Mypoorbutt

Postby banjobuddy » 03 Jan 2017, 19:01

My worry with all these ointments, whether prescription or over the counter is the effect they have with continual usage. I weaned myself off Sheriproct for quite a while before I got my current fissure, but still used Germoloids ointment. I'm sure my skin is nowhere near as tough as the average person's rectal/anal area now, but it's hard to function properly without it. I just wonder if the skin can eventually recover or is there an ultimate price we pay for overuse? I just hate the never ending trials of using ointments and laxatives - so depressing.

What I do also use is Anuice, the molded plastic devices that you put in the freezer to provide some relief after a bowel motion. You can insert them, but I tend to use the flat end externally and it does help a fair bit. They aren't particularly cheap and they do lose their efficacy after about 4-6 months use. I guess I could use ordinary ice, a good deal cheaper, but trickier to use in a sense.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Jan 2017, 05:03

I know what you mean for 18 months I have been applying something to my butt often 6x a day. I have been using the GTN 2x a day for 12 months and sometimes 4x a day it is a worry but I was unable cope with the pain without it.
For the past week I have only been using it at night and putting some colodial silver on once a day too...oh and coconut oil but I'm guessing that is just really like putting moisturiser on my face lol.
I too am on the see saw of loperamide humeride amitryptiline and diet to try and get a balanced BM but I have decided that I will probably have to do this for the rest of my life as my bowel isn't normal and it does need help. I wouldn't think twice about it if I was a diabetic that had to do the same...so that how I try and view it now, no point wishing for the impossible anymore...I remember being about 4 at a birthday party and being shouted at because I was in the toilet too long, so I think my bowel has always been bad lol.
Mypoorbutt

Postby banjobuddy » 04 Jan 2017, 06:57

I just tried my first application of Rectogesic about an hour ago, using one of the cut off fingers from a disposable glove. Not too uncomfortable to do considering my tightness. Anyhow, so far no headache or nausea, which it mentions in the instruction leaflet. Mind you, I didn't put a great deal on - probably a garden pea size smeared around the top of the finger stall. Will have to see if using it twice a day will a) help and b) start causing headaches. Fingers crossed!

I'll look into colodial silver. I've also got a jar of coconut oil, which I've used a couple times.

Getting a balanced BM is a source of constant stress for me. It rarely seems to happen, probably because of my history of IBS. I've cut out wholemeal bread and I'm trying white for a while. It does seem to largely eradicate the very flaky motions I was getting, but the downside is they are little harder to pass, but don't seem to be particularly hard. The problem is when I go, the tightness of the sphincter/rectal canal makes expelling anything quite tricky and tends to leave me sore afterwards. Does having the LIS make the rectal canal feel less taught, as I know when I was using the finger stall, it's quite tricky opening everything up for easy insertion.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Jan 2017, 11:51

I stayed with the pea sized amount for a week then worked my way up to 2cm. I'm sure you will be fine.
The Botox made my rectal canal and sphincter feel really relaxed as in I couldn't feel any involuntary tension and didn't have to make myself relax to put any cream up. The LIS for me hasn't done this I can still feel the involuntary tension and do quite often still have to relax to get my cream up. So it has probably made it less tight but not really noticeable...I still have to force wind out which I didn't with the Botox.
Mypoorbutt

Postby banjobuddy » 04 Jan 2017, 13:44

I wondered if it was good idea to put it on just before going to bed, so in a sense it gives it more time to do its stuff? I've only used it once today.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Jan 2017, 13:48

I used to put mine on after a BM and at night....at the moment I put it on just before I go to sleep....the thing I found it most useful for was stopping the spasms and my CRS advised to put it on after every BM.
Mypoorbutt