The return of the fissure!!!

A LOT of blood.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

The return of the fissure!!!

Postby corn18 » 08 Jan 2017, 19:04

I am so glad I found this website. I have had fissures in the past. November, 2015 it was really bad (severe pain, bleeding, etc..) and my doctor put me on the fiber supplement, Konysl, which was life changing. I have been fissure free, up until 10 days ago when I contracted some type of bug in Jamaica which caused me to go to the bathroom 8-10/day, thus… causing my new fissure. The pain of the fissure was so bad. My family doctor started me on a probiotic and this past Wednesday, I went to my colon rectal doc who said, “ you have tried everything up my sleeve. I think the next step is surgery.” I explained to him that I just started the probiotic the day before and I wanted to see if that would help the number of bowel movements I was having and that maybe the fissure would heal. He agreed that was fine to wait and I would follow up with him in a few weeks. I am going to the bathroom less and feel that maybe the fissure is a little better. I am doing sitz baths, applying desitin, coconut oil and nifedipine. But yesterday and today, the blood is so bad, even when I pass gas. The whole toilet is red and its more than a few drops of blood. I called the doc on call and he said if the bleeding continues even after the bowel movement (which it is not), then you need to go to the ER. Is it normal to have this much blood. Has anyone had a similar situation? I’m really nervous to see all of this red blood and I could really use some advise. Thanks.
corn18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: The return of the fissure!!!

Postby GilmoreGirl » 08 Jan 2017, 19:20

Sorry to hear you're suffering - these things are unbearable I know.

Is there any chance you have internal hemmorhoids that have burst? It's possible they were under pressure too from the D - that could explain the volume of blood.

However at sometimes with my fissure I did have lots of blood that happened every time I re-opened the fissure with bm. It often looks like TONS of blood in the toilet when it's really not all that much.

One thing I can recommend is to keep doing what you're doing but also try putting some oil around the fissure site if you can - fissure control is a good one from amazon, or even just vitamin e oil - it will help to keep the skin supple and stretchy as it heals, so less likely to retear!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby corn18 » 08 Jan 2017, 19:25

Hi! Thank you for getting back to me. I think the blood is just from my fissure. Do you recommend Coconut oil? Because that is what I have been doing. I ordered an oil yesterday called H-fissure. but I will try the vitamin E.
thanks
corn18
Fibre Addict

Postby GilmoreGirl » 08 Jan 2017, 19:36

The H-fissure is the same as fissure control I believe! It's wasn't a miracle cure but was very soothing and I believe did help in long term healing.

I didn't apply coconut oil on the fissure, but did add it to the sitz baths! Can't hurt.

Are you still having diarrhea? If so, are you still taking the fibre? It may help to up it a little to firm things up slightly. I also find that with D it's good to apply lots of zinc cream or Vaseline prior to bm, just to protect the fissure.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby GilmoreGirl » 08 Jan 2017, 19:38

And I should mention, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to have the surgery. It has helped lots of people on here especially if you don't have a lot of complications like ibs/chron's/pelvic floor dysfunction.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby corn18 » 08 Jan 2017, 19:50

Thank you. That is a good idea. I'm going to the bathroom less, so the probiotic definitely helped .And in terms of the having surgery, I'm just not there yet. I need to give it some more time. It has only been 10 days and I will definitely want to get a second opinion before jumping into anything. This has taken over my life. It is so upsetting to be in this much pain.
corn18
Fibre Addict

Postby GilmoreGirl » 08 Jan 2017, 19:57

Ouf yes give it more time, the nifedipine may still work! First time I had a fissure it was gone in two weeks, you've definitely got a chance of healing!
GilmoreGirl
VIP