My fissure and LIS story

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: My fissure and LIS story

Postby MattMecham » 01 Jun 2011, 10:32

Alpha, I agree. My general practitioner said "hemorrhoids" (STRIKE ONE), two weeks later his partner said "hemorrhoids" (STRIKE TWO), a doctor at IHC, after an anoscope, said "hemorrhoids", after I told him I thought it was a fissure (STRIKE THREE), and finally, after several weeks of being jerked around by these struck-out morons, a GI doctor told me "fissure" (HOME RUN). We don't have a CRS down here in St. George, UT, so a GI was the best I could do.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 01 Jun 2011, 11:33

Same thing happen to me primary care doc said hemms,hospital twice said hemms, went to a GI- he said fissure, went to a crs who said my skin tag was a hemm, then went to another crs who said fissure and skin tag-no hemms. That took 4 months before getting the proper diagnosis.

Postby William2 » 27 Jan 2017, 08:51

Hello, this is William. I had to create a new userid because I wasn't able to change my password on the updated forum.

I appear to have another fissure. It feels exactly the same as the old one. I guess I need to find a CRS asap. Well, it was a nice six years. :(
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24

Postby chachacha » 27 Jan 2017, 10:12

Congrats on the six years! My CRS told me that if I ever got a fissure again, after having the LIS (2 years ago), that it would not take so long to heal because of the LIS. Hopefully your CRS will tell you the same thing, so even though you're suffering now, you may have a good chance of it healing up, instead of becoming chronic again.

Good luck!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby William2 » 27 Jan 2017, 10:18

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm just concerned because it's been getting worse over the course of the week. The old familiar feelings of dread have returned...
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 27 Jan 2017, 10:33

Yes, that makes sense, because a fissure can take up to 6 weeks to heal, just like it would do for everyone else. The difference though, as I understand it, is that it won't become chronic. I totally get the dread though, because unlike others, you know how awful it could get. I hope that it doesn't get too, too bad though, and it might not, due to the LIS.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby William2 » 03 Feb 2017, 07:25

I seemed to be getting better every day, until yesterday. I started feeling what seems like a mass way up in my rectum. It kinda went away suddenly in the afternoon, but then reappeared in the evening. Now it's really uncomfortable, and I can't go to the bathroom. After I tried, it felt more uncomfortable and a little prickly.

I went to my new CRS on Tuesday. He prescribed 0.2% Nifedipine w/ 5% lidocaine. I'll be able to pick that up today. I didn't react well to diltiazem, so hopefully this is better. He mentioned the possibility of Botox, and that it isn't a permanent thing. Guess I'll have to look into that.

I seriously don't think I can take going through this again.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 09 Feb 2017, 10:20

I had to get a new prescription without the lidocaine because it was making me feel drugged and "out of it". I still get some side effects with the nifedipine (dizzy, tired), but they are tolerable.

Now that I can feel the pain again, it doesn't seem that I've made much progress yet. I still get the prickly pains shortly before I need to go to the bathroom, and the swollen feeling for hours afterwards. I can't tell if the swollen feeling is muscle cramping or actual swelling. It's hard to find a way to sit comfortably. Standing is difficult because of the dizziness.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 15 Feb 2017, 09:08

It seemed like I was doing better with the nifedipine, until this morning. I felt sharp pain during my BM, and saw blood for the first time afterwards. I know it is much worse than before. I fully expect to get the strong cramps later, and to get the "passing glass" feeling during future BMs. So much for "superficial".

Might as well get the Botox or LIS now, because I can't deal with this. I was just starting to get optimistic. I should have known better.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mmklinemm » 28 Feb 2017, 21:26

How are you doing, William?
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13