20-ish years of pain...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

20-ish years of pain...

Postby salijackt » 12 Jan 2017, 16:37

Hello, I'm a 29-year-old female who has been living with hemorrhoids and anal fissures since I was a little kid. I think it was around 9 years old that I got my mom to show her a toilet full of blood. She assumed I started my period, but it actually was from a fissure. I also have a skin tag - presumably, from one of those fissures over the years). I have a genetic connective tissue disorder so I'm guessing that contributes to my issues.

As a kid, my mom was against getting any kind of medical help unless you were practically dying, so I didn't get any treatment. I thought everyone had excruciating bowel movements. There were times I was convinced that I was giving birth to a baby and I'd stand up and look in the toilet and be disappointed that it was just poop (I grew up seeing animals give birth, so I knew where babies came from but didn't know exactly how babies were made).

As an adult, I finally saw a GI doctor who did three rounds of bandings (meaning three rounds of three bandings - nine bandings total) over 8 years. Every time, the hemorrhoids came back after the bandings. Which were really painful themselves, and it seemed like they were progressively painful. And they did nothing for my fissure. I tried four or more different types of creams and ointments to treat the fissure and/or hemorrhoid, but they did nothing or had major side effects (like an instant migraine and I had to lay down for hours after or else I'd pass out).

Anyway, I finally went and saw a colorectal doctor at Cleveland Clinic while I was there for an outpatient program for another issue and he tried yet another compounded ointment that didn't do anything. Today, he scheduled a botox injection surgery for next week and while doing some research about what it was, I found this forum.

So hello everyone! :stars:
salijackt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 20-ish years of pain...

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Jan 2017, 16:46

Hi Sali,
Sorry to hear your suffering but welcome to the board. :wel:
Gosh your experience sounds horrendous, I have only had fissures for 18 months...and that's 18 months too long.
How awful to go through all that and still be in pain. I had Botox in June last year, the spasms stopped from day one and although the first two weeks were rough the pain did gradually decrease to barely noticeable, so hopefully you will get some relief.
Please let us know how it goes
Fingers crossed for you
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby IronicTwist » 13 Jan 2017, 07:29

Hi there. Sorry to hear of the suffering. I complain about being like this for 9 months, I cant begin to imagine a lifetime like this. Welcome to the forum, I hope you find all the answers you need here.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby tightybehind » 13 Jan 2017, 11:26

Hello and welcome. You have had it rough, I'm sorry to hear. Keep us updated on your Botox.
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby Kathy64 » 17 Jan 2017, 10:55

Hello!

I have had a similar experience as you! Suffering with an anal fissure for twenty years...although most of those years have been symptom-free with occasional flare ups that have self healed! Nine months ago...my anal fissure flared up and now will not heal. Had surgery scheduled last November but canceled...then the holidays.....then a baby shower I hosted for my daughter last weekend.....ointments have not helped at all.....actually I have tried everything with no results! My days are spent either managing my pain OR fearing my next BM. Will probably do surgery after my granddaughter is born next month! Welcome! I cant imagine enduring this pain as a child! This forum really helps me... just knowing there are other people in the world who deal and live with this horrible condition! Good luck and please let us know how you are doing!

Kathy
Kathy64
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Kathy64 » 10 Feb 2017, 10:52

Update:

I have continued to use home-made Coconut Oil suppositories and after a couple weeks, I have noticed a significant improvement in my condition!! I am currently hoping and praying my improvement continues....BUT I want to thank everyone here on this site.... for your compassion..your love....your support.... The support I have found and received here is not found anywhere else (even the GI's office!) I also learned about Coconut Oil and how to make home-made suppositories right here... on this forum!! COCONUT OIL WORKS! If it works on an anal fissure ... 20 years old....it will work for everyone!! My suppositories are not fancy! I tried buying suppository molds (too big) I tried lighting straws with cigarette lighters to close the ends (didn't work for me) Now I simply stick the straw in the Coconut Oil...push the oil out of the straw and onto foil and put in freezer! They are ready to use in 10 minutes and I can insert them (lubricated) BY MYSELF (no humiliation or embarrassment included) BUT THEY HAVE TO BE INSERTED...DO NOT APPLY THE OIL TOPICALLY and hope the oil "travels" up the rectum ( read that somewhere else on the internet and that DOES NOT work) Thank you all so very very much! Don't give up hope!!!! Anal fissures can heal!!! They can heal!!! Anal Fissures can heal!! Love you all!!!! Kathy
Kathy64
Fibre Addict

Postby salijackt » 20 Feb 2017, 21:58

Hello again! Figured I'd give an update, went back to see my surgeon again today.

I had the botox done a month ago and it did seem to help for several weeks. I didn't have any incontinence, though I did notice it was a little harder to hold farts in than it was before - but previously I couldn't fart at all and it was hard to let gas out at all, I assume because my sphincter was tight.

Then I had some other medical problems and had to have a urinary catheter put in, and while that was put in, it was very difficult and painful to poop and I ended up constipated. I think that really irritated the fissure and I started having lots of bleeding again. Bleeding not only with bowel movements but also just doing nothing. I wasn't sure if the bleeding was from the fissure or the hemorrhoids because I didn't have near as much pain as I did before.

I saw the surgeon today and he said it was the fissure. He barely spread my cheeks and it started bleeding! He was somewhat surprised that it was that bad so soon, but he gave me three options - 1) do nothing/continue to use the topical cream and see what happens, 2) do another botox injection, or 3) go to the LIS. He left it up to me, and I think I'm going to go ahead and do another round of the botox since it seemed to help. I am nervous about the LIS since I'm so young, so would like to exhaust other options first if I can.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep using the ointment, taking baths, and using Benefiber and if I need it, Miralax.
salijackt
Fibre Addict

Postby Kathy64 » 21 Feb 2017, 08:54

Thank you for the update!
Would you be willing to try homemade coconut oil suppositories?? I am continuing to heal....using my coconut oil daily and the need to take Advil is significantly reduced... This morning...I am starting a need job....and getting on with my life.....I'm anxious and nervous and already have had three very small BM's due to my nerves....so my fissure is currently on my mind .....and re injuring it is a frightful possibility....but I am so impressed how this coconut oil has healed my fissure! If you think you can.....I would greatly suggest you try it!!!!

Kathy
Kathy64
Fibre Addict

Postby salijackt » 21 Feb 2017, 09:10

I'm not able to do coconut oil as I'm allergic to coconuts. This is what my doctor thinks is best for me.

Good luck in your new job.
salijackt
Fibre Addict

Postby salijackt » 21 Feb 2017, 09:11

PS: You might be better off posting in this forum about your success with coconut oil so others can see it - viewforum.php?f=10
salijackt
Fibre Addict