Fistulotomy and Hemorrhoidectomy

Recovery

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Fistulotomy and Hemorrhoidectomy

Postby Szapp74 » 28 Mar 2017, 16:04

Hello. I am 5 days post op from a fistulotomy and hemorrhoidectomy. One of the roids were attached to the fistula so they are healing as an open wound. He did put in one stitch for the other roid removal. I opted not to take anything stronger than tylenol even though the first two days were extremely painful. I have given birth to three children vaginally and having my first BM after surgery was like natural childbirth through my rectum (sorry if that's a tad graphic ). I'm trying to walk a bit each day and I have no bleeding just a bit of drainage that can be taken care of by using panty liners. I use the sitz bath after each BM or a minimum of 3 times a day. For the past two nights I've slept with nothing on and on a towel to allow some air to get at the wounds. I've not been brave enough to look yet but while showering I did touch back there by accident. It still felt lumpy and swollen.( again- sorry if too graphic ). I used a bit of witch hazel today after soaking and it only burned slightly. I'm wondering if anyone recently has had both of these surgeries at the same time . Thanks in advance ! :o
Szapp74
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Fistulotomy and Hemorrhoidectomy

Postby zinnia » 28 Mar 2017, 16:40

Hi Szapp- was surgeon able to figure that out during procedure or did you know that going in? I have a possible fistula with a large painful bump and I wonder if that is a hemm. What is your recovery time supposed to be like?
zinnia
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Szapp74 » 28 Mar 2017, 16:57

We knew going in I had two roids but I didn't know they were going to be attached. To be honest they are what led me to the surgeon in the first place. The fistula ended up being the surprise win . :groan:
Szapp74
Fibre Addict

Postby Szapp74 » 28 Mar 2017, 16:58

He said out of work for a week and a half . Up to a week for healing and up to a month for recovery. I think he's being too optimistic!
Szapp74
Fibre Addict

Postby zinnia » 28 Mar 2017, 21:10

that's the dreaded part- not knowing what you are waking up to! :-(
zinnia
Salt Bather

Postby Szapp74 » 28 Mar 2017, 22:57

I'm just not sure if the pain is from the hemorrhoidectomy or fistulotomy wounds or just both .
Szapp74
Fibre Addict

Postby zinnia » 28 Mar 2017, 23:50

do you have a seton? My biggest fear. If eveything was cut then sounds like all inflamed.
zinnia
Salt Bather

Postby Szapp74 » 29 Mar 2017, 13:47

No seton. Today the pain is very tolerable. Just a short amount of burning after a BM. I use a sitz bath or jump in the shower after and it feels ok. My Doc prescribed no antibiotics or special creams. I tried some witch hazel and that was a big no-no.
Szapp74
Fibre Addict

Postby zinnia » 14 Apr 2017, 10:30

How are you feeling now? I am one week Post-op and feeling pretty crummy.
zinnia
Salt Bather

Postby Szapp74 » 14 Apr 2017, 11:08

The first week was brutal!!! I chose no pain meds so I wouldn't get constipated . By the second week I was a tad sore but not too bad. I went in for my 2 wk follow up and he said I was healing and a bit swollen still. In 4 weeks I will get an internal exam. If I have a hard stool I get some discomfort but not bad at all. I use a Squatty Potty and witch hazel. I'd recommend a stool or Squatty Potty ASAP, it was a game changer. I still haven't looked at it but can feel it's a bit swollen. I had sex 10 days post op no problem just slow and steady Lol! I know that's TMI for some but I think it says alot about recovery. A big difference for me is less wiping now because of the hemmoroids being gone.
Szapp74
Fibre Addict

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy