Healing or Not?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Healing or Not?

Postby struggling79 » 26 Mar 2017, 17:57

I'm going to go ahead and apologize for the whining i'm about to do!

I'm on week #9 of treating my fissure with diltiazem. I've been able to keep my bms soft and haven't had a spasm-type pain since 3/15. I've had no real pain since 3/19. Things have been all rainbows and unicorns here lately. I've felt almost normal and been a happy, thankful person.

I had a bm today that was unremarkable but caused me soreness a couple of hours later. It really caught me by surprise and it didn't respond to things that usually helped. Not going to lie, this has really broken my spirit. This pain feels similar to the pain I had when I first developed my fissure. I'm scared that I'm regressing and heading back to a dark place.

All I want to do is sit in a bathtub and cry :cry: What is wrong with me?!?
struggling79
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Healing or Not?

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 28 Mar 2017, 00:52

I was depressed too when this happens. I wish I could offer you support but I have been going on 5 months with this problem and I had the surgery.
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby William2 » 28 Mar 2017, 14:40

I go through this at least once a week. My wife reminds me that I don't really know if the fissure is worse (most of the time, it's a minor setback) and that I just need to deal with the situation as is ("it is what it is"). I'm starting to see a therapist, too.

One problem is that if I have a good day I assume that the good days will continue. When the next day is worse, I just assume it will be bad forever. I won't be happy until I have a month of good days.
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24

Postby zinnia » 28 Mar 2017, 14:53

I am so sorry. I am in same boat with fissure, possible abscess or fistula, or hemm- i don't even know what it then what anymore. I get that it is hard to envision a happy future. Sending best wishes.
zinnia
Salt Bather

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 29 Mar 2017, 00:36

I take a anti depressant which I think helps and I thought of counseling.. but it's so sad to me that some of us are going through all this just because of out butt. It's also hard not to feel alone because other than on this forum I've never met anyone with the same issues.
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby dmcff » 29 Mar 2017, 01:42

I have a sense that there are rather a lot of people with butt-related issues - it's just that because of the nature of the issues there's a certain social stigma attached (there shouldn't be, of course), and so people try to hide and ignore them.

I have even found that some doctors have a dislike of AF, as they think it's hard to cure and find it unpleasant to treat. Not all are like that, of course - there are some great doctors out there.

Anti-depressants didn't help me, but counselling and pain management definitely have, though I'm by no means yet in the clear.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Postby struggling79 » 29 Mar 2017, 13:56

Just to update-Sunday was a bad day but every day since has been better.

I'm just wondering if it is possible to heal after 9 weeks using diltiazem? I think I'm feeling nervous because my surgeon wanted me to try 6 weeks of the cream and if I wasn't healed to do another 6 weeks before LIS.
struggling79
Fibre Addict