Anal Stenosis Solution????

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Anal Stenosis Solution????

Postby Pokey » 11 Apr 2017, 14:23

I have developed anal stenosis as a result of scaring from my sphincterotomy that was successful for 9 years, but have had a return of a fissure that heals then gets slight tears again, heals and the cycle repeats despite my best efforts to keep things soft and moving. I'll do fine for some time, then get a BM that is a bit drier, or larger or firmer. I take Miralax every day and do all I think I can to keep things from repeating themselves. But its a constant struggle and I think I'm reaching a point where its becomne a real fine line between healing and re-traumatizing the area again. What can one do when it comes to this? My CRS talked about some type of surgical procedure, but did not go into much detail. I thought he was talking about some combination of surgery and dilation, but said that could some times lead to more fissures, which does not make sense to me why one would do something to cure a problem only to make it worse. What do folks here do when they have anal stenosis and nothing seems to relieve their misery anymore. I told my wife I'm about ready to go for a colstomy as I'm sick in tired of all this. :groan:

Pokey
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Anal Stenosis Solution????

Postby patience_and_healing » 15 Apr 2017, 00:18

Hi Pokey, please read Suzy's posts on how she had to do dilation with gradually increasing dilators to prevent stenosis after having flap surgery to fix it. Look into dilators​ made by a company called Dilatan, and for smaller ones there are plastic pediatric dilators as well.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Pokey » 15 Apr 2017, 10:51

I already have stenosis. Can it be reversed after it occurs?? I don't get how dilation works. Typically if you stretch a muscle it will go back to its contracted state in time. But I will check out the posts you suggest. Thanks.
Pokey
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 15 Apr 2017, 11:13

Dilation would need to be done on a regular basis so the muscle doesn't go back to it's contracted state.
patience_and_healing

Postby Pokey » 15 Apr 2017, 11:35

You mean like the rest of your life??if that's the case I think I'd rather have a 2nd LIS.
Pokey
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 15 Apr 2017, 11:40

I'm not sure how long it would need to be continued for. What surgeries have you had in the anal region? I never knew LIS could lead to stenosis, that's very worrying.
patience_and_healing

Postby Pokey » 15 Apr 2017, 13:21

I had an LIS in 2004. Things went fine until this past year. My CRS says I have some scaring and that I'm fairly tight down there, but thats what my GP said when I had my first fissure in 2004. I'm taking Miralax with a smoothie every night. That keeps things moving pretty well, but then along comes a drier, or firmer or slightly larger BM and and causes a tender small fissure thats healing to open up again, its a constant back n forth. I keep applying the calmoseptine which helps a lot, but I've been fighting this a year now off and on. I don't know if the LIS contributed to the stenosis per se or not. Just saying I had an LIS and now I have some stenosis. If I have to have some sort of procedure again I'm going to get a 2nd opinion no matter what.
Pokey
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 16 Apr 2017, 14:41

I see. So it's possible you have had the stenosis from before the surgery. A second opinion is a great idea. I'm getting a second opinion for Botox tomorrow myself.
patience_and_healing

Postby Pokey » 16 Apr 2017, 16:55

I dont think I had stnosis back in 2004. No mention of scare tissue until this past year and Like I said everything went well until a year ago. This is the first Ive had anyone saying anything about scar tissue
Pokey
Salt Bather