Perianal abscess

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Perianal abscess

Postby Lw87 » 27 Mar 2017, 19:47

So, I was the lucky recipient of one of these a few months ago. Needles to say, it's been a long road to recovery, and it will be 5 months at the end of this month. The wound actually healed within a matter of weeks, and the doc doesn't think I have a fistula, but it's still fairly tender. Is this normal? Maybe I'm crazy, but I just can't help but think there's a fistula present. I think the paranoia and anxiety are worse than the physical problems. Any feedback is appreciated. These things are the worst!
Lw87
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Perianal abscess

Postby Chinaski » 18 Apr 2017, 13:07

I'm no expert but this may help ease your anxiety. I had an perianal abscess which was lanced and drained in Accident & Emergency and I was given a course of antibiotics. The relief was amazing, for a few days. Unfortunately the abscess was back in less than a week, worse than before, and I was back in A&E again and diagnosed with a fistula. I imagine that if you had a fistula the abscess would have reoccurred by now. Fistulas don't tend to heal themselves and 5 months is quite a long time without the abscess reoccurring. Just my two cents.
Bertram: What is it, my good lord, the king languishes of?
Lafeu: A fistula, my lord. Bertram: I heard not of it before.
Lafeu: I would it were not notorious.
Alls Well that Ends Well (William Shakespeare, 1605)
Chinaski
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Lw87 » 19 Apr 2017, 06:32

Hey, thanks for the reply. I hope you're right, this thing is a nightmare. I hope you're all healed as well. Take care.
Lw87
Fibre Addict

Postby Happykermit » 19 Apr 2017, 09:43

How do you know that its an abscess and fistula, guys? My crs checked my fissure the other day and he thinks there's an abscess inside. I don't have fever, though, but he prescribed antibiotics. My ass has been tight, there are streaks of blood when I poop, and for two days, it was moist, and stinky, I had to occasionally wipe a see a pale red-brown moisture. I'm not sure if its pus or something.

What happened after it got drained? Did you require surgery?
Happykermit
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Lw87 » 19 Apr 2017, 13:51

My abscess presented itself on the surface of my skin as a purple bump at first. I thought it was a perianal hematoma, but I was obviously wrong. I never had any pain or blood during BMs, but the pain of the abscess became unbearable within a week or so. Fever and chills kicked in about 10 days after I noticed the initial bump, and that's when I decided to take drastic action since antibiotics were doing absolutely nothing. At least you have a CRS, the "doctor" that I saw was terrible. Keep an eye on it, and if becomes suddenly more painful / swollen, then you pretty much know you have an abscess. If that's the case, I would contact your CRS asap to get it lanced and drained. The sooner, the better in my opinion. Good luck, and get well soon.
Lw87
Fibre Addict

Postby Chinaski » 25 Apr 2017, 16:58

My abscess presented as a v tender swelling. I also had a mucous discharge. After 5 days I couldn't sit or lie down or sleep with the pain. If you have an abscess you'll know about it.
I got it lanced and drained but it was back within a week so I had surgery and a seton put in. I would recommend to anyone with a perianal abscess to have it dealt with under general anesthetic, rather than getting it lanced and drained. That way it can be properly cleaned out and if there's a fistula they'll deal with it.
Getting it lanced and drained was extremely painful and only resulted in delaying the necessary surgery (and more time off work)
Bertram: What is it, my good lord, the king languishes of?
Lafeu: A fistula, my lord. Bertram: I heard not of it before.
Lafeu: I would it were not notorious.
Alls Well that Ends Well (William Shakespeare, 1605)
Chinaski
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2