Fissure Pain after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissure Pain after LIS

Postby Livya » 05 May 2017, 18:29

Hello all!
I just recently had LIS surgery last week Thursday. For the first few days I was really sore going to the bathroom, bm has been coming out out in pieces every time and theyre not hard but yesterday I felt my fissure pain ten fold while going. Its literally worse now than it was before surgery. I had a follow up today and my doc said its not normal; that I shouldn't be feeling any fissure pain. One thing I forgot to mention to him was that my anus feels pretty tight like
Its even hard to pas gas now. I read somewhere about dilation and I now Im only starting my second week post op and the incision site isn't completely healed yet, but has anyone else experienced increase fissure pain after LIS? Can anyone offer advice? Thanks :D
Livya
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Fissure Pain after LIS

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 May 2017, 02:36

Yes I did I was in agony after my op not the first week but towards the end of the second week I had an IBS flare and I was having ful on spasms for nearly two weeks it was awful. Also myself and a couple of others on this forum have found it very difficult to pass gas after the LIS. I literally felt like I had to force it out.
I think maybe the people who have stitches could be more swollen inside perhaps or maybe we have more internal bruising.
My CRS said that for some very few people the pain does increase for a few weeks after. He wasn't surprised by my pain and in fact did warn me about the possibility beforehand but I think that was because I have crohns and IBS so if I had a flare after the op then the pain would go up big time and it really did.
But on a positive note after things settled down the pain did decrease by week 5 I went swimming and by weeks 6/7 I was pretty much spasm free and wasn't experiencing any pain with a normal BM
Remember your body has been through a trauma there are loads of sensitive nerves down there and your not even three weeks out. Give you body time the pain will go and your fissure will heal
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Livya » 08 May 2017, 02:30

Hi and Thanks for your quick reply and sorry for my late one.:( Im so sorry to hear about your recovery but thats great that you were feeling better! If I may ask, are you still pain free now? Thank you so much for your response, you're very right, i should be mindful I just had surgery even though its my first. I just need to give it time and rest.
Livya
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 08 May 2017, 02:43

I'm so much better now. If I'm not having a flare then I'm back to life pre fissure no pain during or after a BM. Obviously if I have multiple liquid BMs then I'm still in a lot of pain but it does go a bit quicker than before the LIS. I can also sit down now and stand still both of which caused a lot of pain before the op.
How are you doing now I hope your recovering much better
Mypoorbutt

Postby Livya » 09 May 2017, 01:46

Well thats good to hear that youre feeling better for the most part! Congrats on your recovery:) Im still about the same, Thursday will make it 2 weeks but Im hanging in there. Will keep you posted!
Livya
Fibre Addict

Postby Livya » 31 Jul 2017, 23:31

Well its been over 3 months now, and my fissures are worse/more of them than before. I have an appointment in a couple weeks. Dont really know what else to do.
Livya
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 01 Aug 2017, 06:14

If you have got more fissures since you had the LIS then I would certainly tell your CRS

It took me a long time to feel better but I still only had the one fissure that due to my issues was taking time to heal.
It's unusual to develop more fissures after the LIS so perhaps you need a second one.
Do you know if your CRS cut the whole length of the IS some only do a partial cut (mine was partial) perhaps you needed the full length cut
I really do feel for you as I know how emotionally draining it is to have an op that makes everyone else better but seems like it's not helping you
I hope your CRS helps you
Mypoorbutt

Postby Livya » 02 Aug 2017, 19:02

Think ill call him soon. Im not sure but my fissures are higher up around the dentate line, not on the outside. So ill have to ask him. Hopefully I dont need a second one. Thanks for checking in!
Livya
Fibre Addict

Postby Jimoffy » 06 Jul 2019, 21:50

Mypoorbutt wrote:If you have got more fissures since you had the LIS then I would certainly tell your CRS

It took me a long time to feel better but I still only had the one fissure that due to my issues was taking time to heal.
It's unusual to develop more fissures after the LIS so perhaps you need a second one.
Do you know if your CRS cut the whole length of the IS some only do a partial cut (mine was partial) perhaps you needed the full length cut
I really do feel for you as I know how emotionally draining it is to have an op that makes everyone else better but seems like it's not helping you
I hope your CRS helps you

I don’t really understand how an ibs or crohns flare could make your incision site hurt more?
Jimoffy
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?