sphincterotomy Twice?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

sphincterotomy Twice?

Postby Harper05 » 08 May 2017, 13:52

I am having my second sphincterotomy in two weeks. I had my first one four months ago and my fissure never healed... now seeing a new crs and getting another one. Not looking forward to it.
Has anyone ever had two?
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 28

Re: sphincterotomy Twice?

Postby AJStyles » 08 May 2017, 15:51

Yes i've had it twice, only 4 weeks post op tho so i cant say much. It definintely hurts more than the first time because the surgeon cuts more muscles to make sure it heals. I am still in pain after BM but its much better than it was before surgery. (Got my first 8 months ago didnt heal) I really hope it heals! But do it trust me, dont wait too long.
AJStyles
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Harper05 » 08 May 2017, 15:53

Did they cut the same side?
He's cutting the opposite side.
Gosh... I am so over the pain! Some days are worst than others. But I want to be pain free
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby AJStyles » 08 May 2017, 15:58

Yep exact same side. I believe thats why it takes longer.

It wont heal without LIS bro. I tried it for 8 months with all sort of things..didnt work. Keep your stools soft and take sitz baths thats what i am doing. You already know how the surgery is so dont be afraid.

But its gonna take a while, at least for me. This is more painful than the first one, but nothing too extreme. Just the first 2 weeks was a bit rough
AJStyles
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Harper05 » 08 May 2017, 16:08

Ugh make sure me nervous. I am also trying everything. I have tried 4 different creams, all the laxatives and stool
Softners - nothing works. Hoping it works on round #2
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby GilmoreGirl » 08 May 2017, 17:02

I haven't had two, only one, but I know of others on here who have had two and normally they are successful. Sometimes just not enough of the muscle is cut the first time around - the surgeons would rather be conservative than leave any chance of incontinence. But if you're still not healed and the muscle is still too tight, it's a clear sign to them that it's ok to cut more without increasing your risk of incontinence too much.

I'm a month post op and thinking I may also need another! Keep us updated on how you are doing - try not to let the nerves get to you too much (easier said than done I know!).

Sending healing thoughts

-GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby Harper05 » 08 May 2017, 17:51

This surgeon wants to cut the other side, and he feels very confident in it healing. The first surgery the pain was awful after surgery, like I had a knife there.
Thanks for the healing thoughts.
You are only a month post op! There is still
Hope!
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby GilmoreGirl » 08 May 2017, 18:21

Yes cutting the other side has the same effect as cutting more on the same side! It will just be easier to heal when the second surgery is done on the other side. Thanks!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby Harper05 » 15 May 2017, 06:20

ok so how did you know you needed the surgery again? Some days I hurt and somedays I am fine.. and I am scheduled for surgery this Friday...
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby GilmoreGirl » 15 May 2017, 07:24

Some people get a test done called an anal manometry test, where they use a probe to test the "resting pressure" or tightness of your anal sphincter. Colorectal surgeons can often tell if the sphincter is still too tight/spasming without this test however - just by poking around a little. In either case, if the first surgery did not relax the sphincter to normal pressures, then a second makes good sense.
GilmoreGirl
VIP