I have complications from LIS surgery

LIS surgery went wrong

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I have complications from LIS surgery

Postby Danadear » 02 Apr 2017, 13:21

Here is my story and I'm still in the middle of it the ending hasn't happened yet. Would like some advice from others on what I should do from this point. I am a 46 year female and please forgive the lack of introductions at this point but I just really need some advice . Towards the end of February of this year I felt like I had a fissure beginning sure enough within a few days I was in severe pain. I had self-diagnosed myself of having a fissure previously 2 times in the last 5 years. When I had explained it to my family doctor he never examined me but sent me in a script for steroid cream and pain medicine and I got over the first two times. This third time was different although I did my diligent research and learned to use different essential oils and coconut oil and made my own suppositories. They seemed to work good in the beginning but I was losing hope by the end of week 2. I finally couldn't take the pain and made a trip to the family doctor. He never examined me there but referred me to a surgeon in the area who he claimed was one of the best at Lis surgeries. Well I had to wait one week to get there to see this surgeon. He wanted to examine me but I could not tolerate the pain or anybody messing around back there. He said I could either go to the emergency room now and wait for a scan or he could try to numb up the area which would be painful with the little tiny shots of Novocain. I said go ahead and numb me up because I needed to know what was going on although I suspected a Fisher I wasn't positive of it, and I figured the shots could hurt no worse than the pain I was already in. I was correct with the exception of one when he got really close to whatever was hurting so bad back there anyway he used an anal scope to look into my backside. I was numbed pretty good so it really wasn't that bad but it felt really uncomfortable. His conclusion was he seen no fissure however he did see what he referred to as a sore on the inside of my rectum. He said he believed that I could use these steroid suppositories and it would heal the sore and I would be just fine. Before he even got through talking the pain started returning to my bottom very severely. The nurse said take my time and it took me a while because my pain was more severe than it was when I walked in there to begin with. I went home with hope that this is going to solve what was going on. I followed instructions and painfully inserted the suppository each night as instructed for three nights all the while going through 10 times worse excruciating pain than when I had first went to see the surgeon. I felt the scope he used must have done more damage or at least it felt so. By the third day my pain had not improved any I was not able to empty my bladder very much. I was able to wait to my bladder was completely full and then I could bend over while sitting on toilet touching my forehead to my knees and squeeze out small tinkles at a time at a time. I had not had a BM either in at least four days. My husband held my hand and helped me through a few excruciating pain sessions where luckily my family doctor had given me diazepam with pain meds and I found that it helped me calm down a little as I was crying uncontrollably and shaking and severe pain. My husband called the surgeon we had the consult with and he said to go to the ER and ask for a scan. It was the evening of the 8th before I was able to get myself prepared enough to make the trip to the emergency room. As they were taking me back to a room in the emergency department a doctor stopped in his tracks looked at me and came right in after me and he said they are trained to recognize people that are really sick and I just had that look he said he believed if he checked my hemoglobin that I would be a 6. Sure enough I was so he said he was going to give me two units of blood and that I was going to feel wonderful and have rosy cheeks afterward. (I never did by the way and still don't) They begin giving me a blood transfusion in the emergency room and they admitted me just for that. Thing is, I hadn't passed that much blood this time but had been feeling anemic previously to all of this so I think maybe it was not necessarily all entirely from this problem. Although the emergency room doctor thought it was. This Began my 9 day Hospital stay. The nurses was instructed to give me pain medicine whenever I requested it to keep me from having a bowel movement they also done a bladder scan and realized my bladder was completely full and catherized me right away. This was Thursday night that I was admitted I was assigned a GI doctor and a hematologist. Who came to visit me either Friday or Saturday I can't remember which the GI doctor said he would give me that scan first since the first surgeon claimed he only seen a sore. He said if I told him that he was concerned with an abscess. The scans showed nothing.He then said we will have to do a colonoscopy. Sunday night I had to prepare for the colonoscopy that was scheduled for the next morning. By this time it had been more than a week since I have been to the bathroom although I was mostly on liquids only since the time I had been admitted. I was unable to empty everything which I explain to them and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Later on that day the GI doctor come back in the room and told me that yes he did see a fissure and that he thought I needed a proctologist and unfortunately there were no proctologist in the city that I was in and that there was two of them that he knew of in a neighboring City. Well I laid in the hospital 2 more days waiting on some kind of news what we were supposed to do I assume that we were supposed to be getting some kind of referral to leave that hospital and go to another wasn't sure. After the 2 days we asked what was going on to my floor dr. Just a general Doctor Who come in to check on me everyday. Mind you I was still taking pain meds around the clock. My husband and I discussed it and thought we would ask to see if there was someone that could still do the surgery there at that hospital because I was still in a lot of pain my hemoglobin was going down by 1 point every day. That GI doctor never came back to see me or explain things to me at all but the floor doctor did send a surgeon up to my room for a consult. My husband happened to not be there at the time and what happens when you're on pain medicine well for me I can't remember s*** afterwards so it was just kind of vaguely remember him coming in the day before and me saying yes I need something done I was just in so much pain I couldn't handle it anymore. He came back the next day two hours before my scheduled surgery time and my husband was there he had questions and so did I. He seemed to be in a big hurry and said he had an appointment he could not miss and that he would be back. The nurse come in for me to sign the surgery consent form but we said that the surgeon was supposed to be back to finish answering our questions so could we just wait to sign it then. Surgeon did come back a few hours later. Basically our main concern was how many he had done before and the complication percentage and of course I was worried about the main complication of this surgery the incontinence just as everyone else. He explained that the surgery Department give my spot away and that my surgery would be delayed a couple hours. Well they finally come and got me about 2:45 and the anesthesia Department met me and got me all ready and prepped. They gave me a shot of pain medicine that was the best I've had since I've been there at the hospital it gave me zero pain. As they was getting ready to take me into OR my surgeon came walking by and said that he did not have time to do it today that I would have to wait to the following day for surgery. Talk about disappointment I was ready for this nightmare to be over with. Confused and bewildered I was willed back up to my room and the tech told us on the way that 3 emergencies had come in so we thought to ourselves maybe we was bumped because of that. I was told to ask the nurse after midnight when my surgery would be scheduled for the following day. I was told shortly after midnight that my surgery would be at 2 o'clock the next day. I hate it being so late in the day because I was hoping to go home the same day after surgery sense this is normally and outpatient surgery. Okay another day in the hospital being on round-the-clock pain medicine would 2 o'clock ever get here I had been NPO since midnight. Although that wasn't a big deal to me I had little to no appetite but a crazy dry mouth. Well around 11:30 that day The dietitian they had sent to me earlier to explained this silly full liquid diet I was on came in to say that I could have whatever I wanted to eat that my surgery was cancelled. My husband and I were both in bewilderment and very upset we had waited over a week now to have this surgery. We were both quite upset and demanded answers. The the surgeon finally came in with a nurse and he exclaimed that she was his witness. We said okay but what's going on why are you not going to do this surgery he said he felt like we didn't trust him since we did not sign the surgery consent form from the other day. I explained to him that I had indeed signed it on the previous day down in the OR while they were getting me ready. His concerns was that I did not trust him I exclaimed that wasn't the case and we did not understand the procedure exactly and we just had questions like we thought anybody would before they had surgery and told him it was just a misunderstanding. He said okay he would do the surgery. So now the surgery that I indeed had this time . Going back just a little and time when we were talking to the surgeon we asked if he could possibly take care of the hemorrhoids that I had as well at the same time. His reply was that hemorrhoid surgery was very very painful. He said there was three different stages of hemorrhoids and that everybody has hemorrhoids but they're not all symptomatic. Well it was determined by his explanations that I was a stage 2 with my hemorrhoids meaning that they would swell out after a bowel movement but then quickly returned within 30 minutes also my hemorrhoids have never caused me any symptoms such as pain itching or burning which I've heard they do. I exclaimed I'm only at 2 so don't mess with my hemorrhoids if you don't have to and he agreed. Fast forward to a couple hours after surgery and they told me I could have a full meal for supper that night. I know hospitals food isn't supposed to be that great but that chicken mashed potatoes and green beans was the best thing and the best meal I had enjoyed in weeks. I felt great and completely pain-free. That morning when the floor doctor came in I explained to her I was feeling good and she said I could be released that day that was on the 18th. Before I left the hospital that day I did have a bowel movement and yes it was uncomfortable I would say a pain level of a 3. What I had read I considered this normal and I really didn't notice much there at the hospital as far as how everything looked down there. Well I took a picture when I got home and noticed I had this huge larger than a grape, that I assumed was a hemorrhoid( because mine never look like that before )that was swollen and bright red. Well it's been a little over 2 weeks now and the Hemorrhoid looks like it's went down in size however it's still there and I'm constantly leaking stool around it. I'm horrified that the surgeon would leave me in this condition but I'm not sure whether it's just swelled like that after surgery or whether he knew about it. He said that he did not mess with my hemorrhoids as they were not actively bleeding but he did have to Carterize a vien is what he told my husband when he called him after my surgery. I am mostly concerned with the constant leakage of stool around it. I have learned to take a one-fourth sized piece of microfiber cloth and stick up their sort of like a bandage. It works and the most comfortablest thing I've found and I go through many of these bandages all day long. I know I read to expect some drainage but this looks like stool mostly. It has not went down in size in the last week and it is still about the size of your thumbnail. I also noticed this morning that underneath it I still feel too stitches and I was able to confirm this with a picture since the stitches are blue. I think that's what I feel poking me every so often that's very painful like being poked with thorns. I never mentioned but 4 days after surgery I went to vomit, something I did numerous times over this whole ordeal and I felt a pop there. The next day after my bath I noticed a huge gaping wound back there so I realize that it was stitches that I popped or at least that's what I thought when I called the surgeon he said he had put in one long continuous Stitch and that he would not restitch it at this point. To my surprise it did heal pretty quickly though because I was not able to get it on camera 2 days afterwards. Anyway I had to go back to him after like a week so he could check on things and he removed a few leftover stitches that was left so IDK if it's one continuous I don't know why it's coming out and pieces but whatever. Okay that's where I am today I still have a painful sore hemorrhoid that I'm dealing with that is almost but not as quite as bad as the pain was with the fissure but still uncomfortable enough where all I'm doing is laying around and dreading that next bowel movement and having to take pain medications. Oh and about my bladder they sent me home with the Foley and I kept it for about a week while they had me on two different medications to help me urinate better. The medications seem to be working and one of them is for men with an enlarged prostate and I'm a woman LOL. Anyway my worst nightmare has been incontinence and I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to be the case with me. Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Can anyone offer me some advice on what they would do in the same situation? Should I try to seek out another surgeon to fix this mess?
Danadear

Topics: 2

Re: I have complications from LIS surgery

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 11 Apr 2017, 01:23

I hope I'm not the only one who responds but I think you should give yourself at least a few months to see if you heal from the surgery. I have the stool leaking also for awhile after a BM and it's very annoying. Maybe the hemroid will heal soon on its own. My fissure healed but the surgery site where the incision took place still hasn't healed almost 6 months later. And I get itching, need to wipe tons, and have some bleeding. If your pain level is less since the sugery it seems like the surgery was helpful.
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Unluckybutt » 20 Jun 2017, 01:10

I've recently had a mucosal advancement flap procedure......which failed! I too ended up with lump (surgeon said it's like a skin tag As he had to do something with the extra skin?)and have had leakage since. I had to go back and have a seton put in and my clr said we would possibly try the flap again in another year?! It's been 9days since the seton placement, I'm still leaking and still have the lump! I'm absolutely horrified! I go back to my surgeon in 3 days.
Have you had any success re: leakage. Was it a case of needing more time to heal?
Unluckybutt

Postby kevinpdx » 20 Jun 2017, 11:03

I'm sorry to hear that your recovery has been slow. I had fissurectomy and LIS 3 weeks ago and on day 4, i noticed a red pea sized lump protruding out at the 12 o'clock position. I was very worried, but from the threads that I read here, that seems to be normal from the excessive swelling. After 2 weeks, my lump has decreased in size dramatically and the redness is gone. There was another thread that I read that said it took him 8 weeks before the lump was gone. I wouldn't worry, give it a few more weeks.
kevinpdx
Salt Bather

Topics: 1