34 months...LIS, that's all folks

My LIS journey and diary...

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: 34 months...LIS, that's all folks

Postby Canadabum » 10 Sep 2017, 18:42

Day 3....the trip to the loo was uneventful-- yay. Just a small sting - pretty sure it's from the incision. Also - not sure if the papilla site caused some amount of sting or discomfort.

All in all a boring day - which is exactly what I want. Pain level close to a 0.5 or 1.....not bad!!

I'm eating very carefully, drinking lots of tea and water, taking a stool softener (ducosate sodium was prescribed) and some fish oil, probiotics and magnesium.

Very thankful with the progress so far...hope it continues.

Best to all - CB
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Littlebaboo » 10 Sep 2017, 19:36

I hope this gets you back to a normal life now
Littlebaboo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby missy moo » 11 Sep 2017, 01:52

Hey how are you doing did you try creams brfore surgery I've just done 4months of it an the last 8 weeks pain free then today week 8 dam all starts again I'm considering the lis now I hope your healing continues I'll be watching closely as I'm terrified of the surgery.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Canadabum » 11 Sep 2017, 21:28

Day 4....same as before. Couple bowel movements - not bad. On pain scale 0.5-1. I can feel the stitch and some minor discomfort. I'm taking it easy at home all week. Eating well and drinking a ton...of water and tea.

I too used all the creams and spent (as my diary suggests) 34 months with no 100% "cure". Part of my problem is that I developed a papilla. So although my fissure healed I would get discomfort often from the papilla and I think also experience minor retears (saw blood every 4-6 weeks). Right before my surgery I was feeling awesome...made me really question moving ahead. All I can say that if I continue to progress the way I am I will continue to be very happy with my decision to have this done.

I'll keep you all posted.
Canadabum

Postby missy moo » 12 Sep 2017, 01:18

What is a papilla? And are you telling me your story pre surgery is basically the same as mine a few weeks of hope then a big slap in the face its very hard mentally I believe the ups an downs for years for me it's been 4 years I have a 4 year old an a 5 month old which changes you in many ways regardless of an on an off fissure it takes all of me my mind time attention mental an physical health my heart goes out to all of us suffering I will hope you continue to get better an give me some hope along your surgery journey : )
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Canadabum » 13 Sep 2017, 19:42

A papilla is a growth internally - like an external skin tag. The body will grow a papilla near a fissure some times to try and protect the area. Problem is if it gets to big it can get in the way and get irritated.

I don't know if I was exactly in your situation - I was in a period where in general I felt great and had little to no symptoms or issues. However - on exam my crs said I would benefit from removing he papilla and cutting the sphincter to relax the muscle.

I totally get the ups and downs and the mental stress this puts on a person. I've been living it for almost 3 years. All I know is that once I decided to go ahead with surgery I felt a certain calm I have not felt in a while -- a mental calm associated with the idea that I might actually be able to deal with this once and for all. I am still recovering and my 34 month history has me doubt everything and be very sceptical- that said, so far so good. I can only hope it continues to go well during my recovery. As of now it has been a great decision.
Canadabum

Postby Canadabum » 13 Sep 2017, 19:52

Day 5 & 6 - sorry for not updating yesterday...truthfully the update is an it boring (yay). I am back to a routine of using the loo first thing in the morning - taking ducosate for a few more days - pain level is close to 0!!!! There is some mild weird feeling, some may call it discomfort. Not sure what it is from. I still have a stitch - so that may be the source.

I'm still at home - taking it easy, eating well and hydrating very well.

Some thoughts on recovery for those thinking about it -- the acute pain was never really bad. The worst part for me was the muscle aches that I got after surgery probably related to my position on the table. The first 2-3 days I was a bit wiped out from the general anaesthetic...now I'm feeling quite good. I could have gone back to work but would not have been able to be as meticulous about taking 3-4 sitz baths (with salt) a day, air drying and sitting carefully. If work had me standing or lifting all day I would definitely not been able to do that even now...no point in taking a chance on messing up recovery.

I can tell you that I have read every horrible story and outcome on this site and others and part not me wondered if that might be my fate ...what I can tell you is that my experience is no where near bad...only good so far!!! THRe key is placing yourself in the hands of a qualified surgeon who knows what they are doing and who has examined you and determined that you are a good candidate for surgery. If you do this - I think that there is little to actually worry about.

Aside from a few zings and zangs and some niggly feelings down there I am doing well. I'll keep you posted.

Best - CB
Canadabum

Postby chachacha » 13 Sep 2017, 20:43

The weird feeling, or discomfort could easily be swelling. Most people experience that because your tissues have been traumatized, even if you're lucky enough to not have much pain.

Keep up the great work!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Postby Kodette » 13 Sep 2017, 21:43

Thanks for sharing this daily report, Candabum. This is very encouraging to read! I am brand new to the forum and will decide in the next day or two whether I will have the LIS surgery next week. I have struggled w/fissures before but this one is now at the month-long stage and still causing terrible post BM pain for several hours most days. It's difficult to concentrate and and I need to get back to work. I hope you continue to do well!!
Kodette
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 14 Sep 2017, 01:06

Canadabum I think I do have a papillia it's like an internal skin tag I have one on the outside end of the fissure too since this set back I only have the glass pain during then maybe a bit sore for an hour then pretty fine during the rest of the day unless I have a 2nd bm then it's the same again so not as bad as before I started the diltiazem but still don't want to pass glass for the rest of my life. Does anyone know what is better lis an fissericomy or botox an fissericomy?
missy moo
King Fissure