LIS

Do you need advice? I’m a week post surgery so please ask any questions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS

Postby jonnyvegas » 25 Dec 2017, 19:41

Hi, after a year of AF hell I had the LIS surgery on Monday gone and can’t recommend it strongly enough! Post op I had about 3 days of mild pain (no worse than AF pain) and the last couple of days I’ve been pretty much pain free. I’ve had no AF pain since the surgery. To the point where ive stopped taking any paracetamol. I’m still bleeding a bit but no too bad. I take a bath or shower after a BM and regardless one in the a.m and one in the p.m and I found eating like a mouse in the first couple of days post op really helped. My surgery was done by colorectal surgeon Dr Alexander at Nuffield Hospital in York and I’d really recommend him. I was lucky enough to have private health coverage But I don’t think it’s that expensive if you need to pay yourself. I also found that my hemorrhoids were exasperating the AF pain so I had these injected at the same time to calm them down. I’d be happy to answer any questions....
jonnyvegas
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: LIS

Postby Katie » 30 Dec 2017, 11:35

I'm having the lis as suffering over 12 years and more tips would be great
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby jonnyvegas » 30 Dec 2017, 12:53

Hi...my main piece of advice would be to eat very little for a couple of days afterwards and drink a lot of water. It’s also good to get plenty of rest for a couple of days afterwards, I did a bit too much which didn’t help the pain or bleeding, I should have just had a couple of days in bed! The good news is you should start to feel better straight away. Just over a week and a half after my surgery I could hardly tell I’d had anything done...and that included eating and drinking too much over Christmas! If you think of anything else please ask.
jonnyvegas
Fibre Addict

Postby jonnyvegas » 30 Dec 2017, 13:16

Oh and if you’re not already taking them then take a supplement called Lepicol. 3 tablets every morning, it’s pretty cheap from amazon.
jonnyvegas
Fibre Addict

Postby Hopefull123 » 30 Dec 2017, 15:02

Hey jonny, do you eat now whatever you want? Are you off the laxatives? When you have normal stool, which for us actually hurts us, does it hurt your fissure site or cause bleeding?
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby jonnyvegas » 30 Dec 2017, 17:50

Hi...what ever I want to eat within reason, like I said...it’s been Christmas!..I still try and keep the high fibre diet up, particularly breakfast with a cereal, the main thing is to take the Lepicol in the morning and have plenty of water throughout the day. I now have no fissure pain after going to the toilet which before the surgery lasted for about 4-6 hours. I only had pain for about 4 days after the surgery but it’s a different pain to the AF pain, more a discomfort like you’ve got something wedged up you bum! The burning AF pain went straight away. I’ve now stopped any bleeding even after a BM. I’ve just got the statement from my insurance company and all in including a couple of consultations it cost about £1500.00.
jonnyvegas
Fibre Addict

Postby jonnyvegas » 30 Dec 2017, 18:06

Sorry I forgot, the laxatives, yes I stopped taking these about a week before my surgery and haven’t taken them since, and I was careful what I ate in the couple of days prior, just cereal and soup.
jonnyvegas
Fibre Addict

Postby Hopefull123 » 30 Dec 2017, 19:06

Thanks for the info. Looks like you will be back to normal very soon. Happy for you!
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Katie » 02 Jan 2018, 10:33

Did u have your wound left open or steches in it? I don't have any pain after going to the toliet now as long as I take my movacol around 3 a day! It's just my fissure is not healing so need to have the lis as thus has been going on fir 12 and a half years now! I eat what I want now always have done but yes thinking about just eatting soup and fruit etc after the op! My friend had the surgery and said about taking tables to help with brusing and a cream to use to stop getting infections! After my first surgery I got an infection and ended up getting a fistula which I don't want to ever get again you think fissure pain hurts a fistula is 100 times worse xx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Katie » 02 Jan 2018, 10:33

Did u have your wound left open or steches in it? I don't have any pain after going to the toliet now as long as I take my movacol around 3 a day! It's just my fissure is not healing so need to have the lis as this has been going on for 12 and a half years now! I eat what I want now always have done but yes thinking about just eatting soup and fruit etc after the op! Like i have with my two others. My friend had the surgery and said about taking tables to help with brusing and a cream to use to stop getting infections! After my first surgery I got an infection and ended up getting a fistula which I don't want to ever get again, you think fissure pain hurts a fistula is 100 times worse xx
Last edited by Katie on 02 Jan 2018, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?