post operative symptons and pre operative symptoms

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

post operative symptons and pre operative symptoms

Postby Guest » 12 Apr 2008, 10:01

Hi Everybody, just happen to come across this site and found it very helpful.
Before LIS, I had to strain to pass the stool leading to bleeding ,pain n burning 2-4 hours after every bowel movement.Under examination, i have been told that my sphinchter muscle is tight
I am 8 days from my LIS ,Fissurectomy and polypectomy. I have no pain from the surgery. Passing stool has been a cause of concern for me, since the stool is hard , needing to push which is leading to bleeding.I was assuming after LIS ,it would be easier to pass, but this doesn't seem to be happening. Is this common or is it only me that is going through all the pain of passing the stool????????????????????????
I stopped using Lactulose stool softener which doesn't seem to working for me and have been using MOM,which is doing the trick.How safe is it to use MOM, since i read it might be addictive.....banking of an all valuable response from you guys.

Re: post operative symptons and pre operative symptoms

Postby Deleted User 5 » 12 Apr 2008, 12:36

Well, it sounds like you mave have some constipation, if you're having hard stools which are difficult to pass. Immediately after my LIS, I had a similar problem, but not as far out as you seem to be having.
I finally had to bear down and push, which scared the life out of me.
I am not suggesting that, and the MOM really should help with the "hardness" of the stools.
I think the sphincter may be compromised right after the surgery, too, and not as able to push things on through.
If you continue having problems, I would certainly call the CRS who did the surgery, although mine suggested laxatives.
You will probably still have bleeding until the fissure heals after 6-8 weeks and maybe even some after that..
Good luck.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 12 Apr 2008, 17:26

Welcome Butthurt! I have been using MOM every day for 9 months and Miralax on and off for 5 years. Since neither are stimulants they should not cause any dependency issues.

I think you have to do whatever works for you so that you can keep your stools nice and soft like mashed potatoes while you are heaing from the surgery. I tried lactulose and it gave me horrible cramps and gas. I use a little mineral oil too to kind of keep the stools slippery but my favorite to use and because it is good for you anyway is fish oil. It has the right balance of omega fatty acids.

Postby happyass » 12 Apr 2008, 19:52

hi butthurt,
welcome to the board and congrats on having done the LIS. i wish you a good healing recovery.
if you are stuffering from constipation, you must address that since the LIS will address your tight muscle. if you look in our diet section, you will find some tips on how to ease your bms coming out and making them soft.
from using all bran bran buds to metamucil or aloe vera juice really helps.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby buttgirl » 14 Apr 2008, 15:54

Hi BH
I was on MOM on and off for two years. I just use mag supplements and fiber now and I am fine. The fiber I use is called glucomannan, as any other fibers turned hard and large in my intestines.
It sounds like the poo is the problem. It shouldn't be hard. Hardness is a sign of constipation and constipation is onye ogf the things that will keep you from healing well. Lactulose did nothing for me except give me gas.
Try eating only soft fiberous things like beas, peas ans soup for a few days, take your fiber and the MOM. that might just straighten everything out for you.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67