Post surgery symptoms

Slower urine stream after surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post surgery symptoms

Postby tiredandscared » 02 Jun 2017, 17:11

Hello, I've been dealing with a chronic anal fissure for 18 months and after a failed round of Botox I finally went in for a spincterotomy 4 days ago. So far recovery hasn't been that bad, mild pain but nothing severe. However, one area that is concerning is how after my surgery I had difficulty urinating. I managed to urinate at the hospital and still can but it's taking me a lot longer to urinate now (around 45-70 seconds). I can still start and stop the flow with ease but was just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience after their surgery? Also, prior to my
Surgery my sphincter muscles were quite contriscted, I was wondering how long it takes for them to be relaxed like before I had my fissure. Any info is welcome, thanks.
tiredandscared

Topics: 2

Re: Post surgery symptoms

Postby owmy@ss » 03 Jun 2017, 22:57

Same experience here. Had my LIS early yesterday morning, was able to go at the hospital - can't remember it being difficult or not as I was still happy from the surgical drugs. Urination was slow during the afternoon. Actually ended up going back to the hospital (ER) for IV pain meds because the pain from the surgery was so bad. ER doc wanted to insert a catheter - claimed that maybe a full bladder was contributing to the post surgical pain. The very idea of a catheter makes my penis draw back in like a scared turtle. I didn't let him do it. Anyway - stream seems to be gaining strength today.
owmy@ss

Topics: 1

Postby kevinpdx » 06 Jun 2017, 11:48

I didn't have a problem urinating after surgery, but noticed the slow stream and it definitely took me longer. Also, when I think that i was done, i wasn't so I had to stand there for an extra 10 seconds or so before the rest of it will come out. I think it's normal. I"m 7 days post op and don't have that problem anymore.
kevinpdx
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby raoden » 14 Jun 2017, 14:56

I had my LIS on 06/07. I definitely agree that the urine stream was slower to start and took longer to complete. I am on Day 7 Post surgery and it is mostly gone now. I felt that the slowness was in proportion to the amount of pain I was feeling. I read on a CRS website that a warm bath can help with the slow urine stream.
raoden
Salt Bather

Topics: 5